Highlighted

Strange Playback Stutter after installing to new SSD Partition

New Here ,
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is my first post here, but this problem is so prevailant I didn't have anywhere else to go.

Problem

Every time I try to playback media in Premiere Pro 14.3+, it becomes choppy and jumpy (see attached .mp4). My only guess is something went wrong moving my install to a new disk partition.

I uninstalled Premiere Pro and Media Encoder from C: and moved them to H: and I've had this problem (see attached .mp4) ever since. I don't want to move to programs back to C:, but if that's the only forseeable option I will.

Background Info

My computer has a 250gb SATA WD Blue SSD boot drive with a GUID Partition Table (GPT) divided so the C: drive has 90.3 GB (well actually GiB because MicroSoft lies to us). There is then a Linux partition that takes about half the drive, and at the end was ~60 GB of unused space. Anyone who's worked with a GPT knows it's annoying to add empty space back to a main partition unless the two are side-by-side, so I ultimately made that empty 60 GB into a new drive letter: H.

Machine Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (non X or XT)

RAM: 2x8 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengence (CMK8GX4M1A2400C14)
GPU: AMD Radeon 5700XT
Storage:WD Blue SSD (WDS250G1B0A)

Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming x570-PLUS

After hours of tinkering, I read up on Jim_Simon's godsend that is the Unofficial Premiere Pro Troubleshooting Guide.

I reset my preferences using ALT+SHIFT and things seem to be working smoothly.

Topics

Editing, Error or problem, Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Strange Playback Stutter after installing to new SSD Partition

New Here ,
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is my first post here, but this problem is so prevailant I didn't have anywhere else to go.

Problem

Every time I try to playback media in Premiere Pro 14.3+, it becomes choppy and jumpy (see attached .mp4). My only guess is something went wrong moving my install to a new disk partition.

I uninstalled Premiere Pro and Media Encoder from C: and moved them to H: and I've had this problem (see attached .mp4) ever since. I don't want to move to programs back to C:, but if that's the only forseeable option I will.

Background Info

My computer has a 250gb SATA WD Blue SSD boot drive with a GUID Partition Table (GPT) divided so the C: drive has 90.3 GB (well actually GiB because MicroSoft lies to us). There is then a Linux partition that takes about half the drive, and at the end was ~60 GB of unused space. Anyone who's worked with a GPT knows it's annoying to add empty space back to a main partition unless the two are side-by-side, so I ultimately made that empty 60 GB into a new drive letter: H.

Machine Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (non X or XT)

RAM: 2x8 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengence (CMK8GX4M1A2400C14)
GPU: AMD Radeon 5700XT
Storage:WD Blue SSD (WDS250G1B0A)

Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming x570-PLUS

After hours of tinkering, I read up on Jim_Simon's godsend that is the Unofficial Premiere Pro Troubleshooting Guide.

Topics

Editing, Error or problem, Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you know that Premiere Pro really works best only on a very large (compared to the remainder of the drive) C: volume? Trying to shoehorn two different operating systems (OSes) onto a single extremely small-capacity drive (SSD or HDD) is a recipe for disaster. (Well, not exactly, but you'd be wearing out the SSD much sooner than expected due to repeated rewrites on the same confined area of the SSD while performance with all of those logical volumes takes a major hit due to the high overhead in managing all those data partitions.)

And because of that, it is best to only run one OS on any single given PC. Period.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines