Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Stuttering playback in Premiere

Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We have just installed a new workstation and are encountering a very frustrating problem in Premiere.  The preview stutters.  Specifically what happens is the play head jumps back and forth over a center point that continues to move forward. So, for example, the play head starts at 10;00 then jumps to 9;28 then 10;05 then to 10;01.  The frames are not exact but I wanted to give a sense as to what was happening.

The new system has a Quadro RTX5000, SSD.M2 drives, with 104GB of RAM reserved.  So resources are certainly not an issue.  All drivers are up to date.  The exact same project previews fine on our old system.  Sequences all play fine when imported into After Effects.  I have reinstalled CC including trying a couple of older versions.  

I attached a quick screen grab to demonstrate the issue.  thank you for anything you can suggest that might help.

TOPICS
Error or problem , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

As a quick test, check your preferences\Audio Hardware. You might select 'No Input' for the Default Input and see if that changes anything?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a quick test, check your preferences\Audio Hardware. You might select 'No Input' for the Default Input and see if that changes anything?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow MyerPj, that did the trick!  Do you know why?  Is there some kind of conflict?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool! I try to remember that one because it's so out of the range of things one would try! And then it works. There's been a few posts on that over time, so drop in and check the forum when you can. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is this setting in Rush?  I went into my system settings and app audio on my laptop and dont see any way in either place to do this to the audio?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2023 Dec 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saw this in 2023 and it worked for me too. Thanks! Brand new top of the range laptop and its stuttering on playback making editing very difficult. This sorted it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2023 Dec 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar issue with the player stuttering for a few seconds when hitting play. Just solved it by selecting 'No Input' for the Default Input. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2024 Jan 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

holy crap, saw this in 2024, thought it was my hardware but nope, its solved thx to you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2024 Mar 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Legend! Thankyou for posting this solution Solved my issue right away!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what are your source properties and sequence settings?  Also, by any chance was the material recorded on a smartphone or with a screen capture utility?  

use mediainfo to determine whether your source is variable or constant frame rate

https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

if it's variable use handbrake to convert to constant frame rate

https://handbrake.fr

and here's a tutorial on how to use handbrake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=34&v=xlvxgVREX-Y

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thank you for the info.  The footage is OK I think, shot on a Canon C200.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines