• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Subtitles not the same after export (Premiere Pro 14.9 and earlier)

Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, have following problem: when I export my movie with subtitles and I watch it in VLC, the font is changing. And the size. I have choosen Consolas 48p. 

The title type in PP is just "Subtitle" and export was SRT. Do I have to use a specific format when I want to force VLC to show a certain font?

Greetings and thanks for help.

TOPICS
Effects and Titles , Formats , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

SRT is a sidecar file. Basically, it's a small text file with no formatting other than which lines of text have to appear when.

So you cannot specify the font or size with this type of file. The player determines which font is used and how large it is displayed.

If you want more control over your subs, I'd suggest you bake in the titles or use another form of subtitling (which is not as widely supported on social media). You can read more here: https://www.quora.com/Can-you-edit-font-colour-position-in-an-srt-file

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No suggestions? Is there a workaround? Greetings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SRT is a sidecar file. Basically, it's a small text file with no formatting other than which lines of text have to appear when.

So you cannot specify the font or size with this type of file. The player determines which font is used and how large it is displayed.

If you want more control over your subs, I'd suggest you bake in the titles or use another form of subtitling (which is not as widely supported on social media). You can read more here: https://www.quora.com/Can-you-edit-font-colour-position-in-an-srt-file

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are many types of subtitle files, and even in srt, there are optional codes for formatting. And PR will export some of those in a "styled" srt. BUT, as Richard says, it is then up to the player's options as to whether it will read those codes, ignore them, or let the user decide.

See the PR captions help page.

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/user-guide.html/premiere-pro/using/working-with-captions.ug.htm...

When using Subtitles (the previous version Open Captions), you have two choices for sidecar export, srt or stl (EBU N19). But, so far, you can only export stl when exporting media, not from the Text Panel.

I just did a quick test, making changes in font size, font color, stroke size and color, screen position, and background styling. I tried both "Open Subtitling" and "Teletext Level 1" as the code standard. VLC used the stl file as a caption track without my selecting it.

Open Subtitling gave better results. VLC only used the font color, stroke (not sure about size or color). Background varied, but I could not tell that it was my changes it was tracking. It ignored font family and positioning.

Results could be different if I used other export settings in PR, or if I used different settings in VLC.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Bonjour,

merci pour votre réponse

Je précise que la finalité de nos programmes sont pour la télévision et non pour le web.

Notre système de diffusion n'accepte que les fichiers srt.

Actuellement la seule façon de pouvoir diffuser des sous-titres pour malentendants, c'est de passer par un éditeur texte et d'ajouter les code HTML manuelement.

exemple:

00:02:43,720 --> 00:02:44,920
<line="8"><b><font color="#FF00FFFF">texte pour sous-titrage</font></b>

Dans cet exemple, en rouge, ce sont les codes que nous devons ajouter manuelement pour être diffusé en TV  car adobe premiere ne sais pas les générer.

Nous aimerions trouver une solution pour ne pas devoir inrervenir manuelement dans un textedit et idéalement résoudre ce problème uniquement par un export dans premiere

merciii 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines