Subtitles timing off upon export

Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere captions timing does not match with the exported .srt timing. What to do?

Within Premiere, I have created subtitles that sync with my 30fps sequence. Everything syncs up fine within Premiere.

However, when I export the file to .srt, all of the timings change.

Screen-Shot-2020-04-04-at-1.25.23-AM.jpg

The image shows the difference in timestamps for the captions within premiere and in the exported .srt file.

I tried fixing this by changing framerates in Subtitle Edit and by using the Point Sync feature, but to no avail. Any ideas?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Stan Jones | Adobe Community Professional

The timecode in your second example appears to be different.

The 1,935 corresponds to 01:23 (i.e. 935 milliseconds is 23 frames in 29.97).

When I created the test with your first timings (1:29 and 6:24), the SE source was 1,968 and 6,806. 

So, as I say, are you sure the timings are off when played with your exported video?

You can test this further by burning in the captions and playing back with the srt on/off.

Stan

TOPICS
Error or problem, Export, How to, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Subtitles timing off upon export

Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere captions timing does not match with the exported .srt timing. What to do?

Within Premiere, I have created subtitles that sync with my 30fps sequence. Everything syncs up fine within Premiere.

However, when I export the file to .srt, all of the timings change.

Screen-Shot-2020-04-04-at-1.25.23-AM.jpg

The image shows the difference in timestamps for the captions within premiere and in the exported .srt file.

I tried fixing this by changing framerates in Subtitle Edit and by using the Point Sync feature, but to no avail. Any ideas?

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Stan Jones | Adobe Community Professional

When I created the test with your first timings (1:29 and 6:24), the SE source was 1,968 and 6,806. 

So, as I say, are you sure the timings are off when played with your exported video?

You can test this further by burning in the captions and playing back with the srt on/off.

Stan

TOPICS
Error or problem, Export, How to, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 04, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They actually appear to be correct - except that the display of the timecodes in your export is cutting off the end of the milliseconds. Look at the "Source view" in Subtitle Edit. Are they actually out of sync with the video?

SRT files are often written with the frames converted to milliseconds. You'll see in PR that the option for milliseconds vs frames is now greyed out, and you only have the option for milliseconds.

Your 1:29 and 6:24 convert to 1.968 and 6.806

How did you change the framerate in SE? I thought I knew how and couldn't find it doing a recent test.

Stan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 04, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stan,

These are the source views for the exported .srt file. Is there something that I am missing?

00:00:00,000 --> 00:00:01,935

00:00:01,935 --> 00:00:06,773

As for changing the framerate in Subtitle Edit, click Synchronization > Change frame rate, then select the options for input/output frame rate.

If you can give me some guidance as to syncing the exported .srt, I will be eternally grateful.

Cheers,

hellomister

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 04, 2020 0
Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 04, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You indeed are a life saver. I can't believe I spent six hours trying to figure this out.

Working between Premiere, Subtitle Edit, Aegisub and YouTube got me confused. Thanks again, Stan.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 04, 2020 0
Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent! Glad you got it sorted. Yes, some of my knowledge is also the product of those long, frustrating sojourns into what turns out to be simplicity.

Stan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 04, 2020 1
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here the same problem, but then on a frame rate of 23,976... 

I am struggling for 24 hours now on a subbed clip of 1 hr 10 mins.

I do not understand what your solution is, Stan. What must I do step-by-step in Premiere to resolve this problem?

I'm getting crazy down here...

Greetings from The Netherlands,

Maurice

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 10, 2020 0