Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Super Laggy Clips with iPhone 12

New Here ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I recently upgraded to an iPhone 12 Pro Max and when I try to import that footage to Premiere it lags and freezes and jumps, basically it is impossible to edit. I know that the iPhones now shoot in a variable frame rate and Premiere cannot take that, instead, Premiere works in constant frame rates. I went ahead and tried to use Handbrake to convert the clips to be in a constant frame rate with a 30 FPS and that did nothing. I'm having a hard time believing that I cannot edit iPhone footage on Premiere but I am at a loss at this point and do not know how to fix this issue. Thanks for helping! 

TOPICS
Editing , Formats , Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi katherinev83990728,

Sorry about the poor experience. Please let us know the version of Premiere Pro that you are using & the system specs (OS, CPU, GPU & RAM). We're here to help, just need more info.

Thanks,

Sumeet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2021 May 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Thank you for helping me out. I have Adobe Premiere Pro CC Version 13.0.2 (Build 38) and a 2018 MacBook Pro version macOS Catalina. As for the system specs, I’m not too tech savvy where I know how to find all that information. I was, however, able to find this:

Model Name:MacBook Pro
Model Identifier:MacBookPro15,1
Processor Name:6-Core Intel Core i7
Processor Speed:2.6 GHz
Number of Processors:1
Total Number of Cores:6
L2 Cache (per Core):256 KB
L3 Cache:9 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology:Enabled
Memory:16 GB
Boot ROM Version:1037.147.4.0.0 (iBridge: 17.16.16610.0.0,0)

Along with this screenshot from my CPU information:
[Image.png]

If you need more information please let me know and thank you for helping me with this issue.

Best,
Katherine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did the information I give you help you determine how to fix this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that the iPhones now shoot in a variable frame rate and Premiere cannot take that...

Hi,

In fact not really. If you double click your file to preview it in the source monitor and you look at your Effect control panel, you'll see that you have option for Variable Frame rate Mode. Preserve Audio Sync and Smooth video motion.

If you have already inserted your file in a sequence, Still in the Effect Control, click on Source part ( like in the snapshot below to see those options ).

VFR.jpg

Now , I don't have your files so I don't know why yours are freezing and jumps. Using VFR is a not a very good method for editing ( not your fault, mostly because of the phone constructors ) and since your exports will be in a constant frame rate. 

You can try few things.

1/ Right clic on your video in the Project panel / Modify / Interpret footage / Assume this frame rate ( enter a constant frame rate ). Create your sequence from the file.

2/ Try the option for VFR as mentionned above.

3/ Use a software like Filmic Pro that will provide you constant frame rate on recording + tons of useful features for filming with a phone.

Let us know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the same phone. HDR and highly compressed.

You need to use proxies with the Iphone12: first convert to CFR then make proxies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines