Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

super8 scan upsized /-rezzed/ -noised

New Here ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am editing a short video from scanned super8 footage. It was given to me in Apple ProRes 422 HQ and I have to upscale it (up to 900%) because it has to fill three 4K screens next to each other.

Now I need a trick so the compressions don't show. I have searched the Internet but the Internet does not understand my problem.

I was wondering if I should try AI based software or add some noise, what would make the footage fell better? Is there even a way to smooth it out (with or without noise)? 

I usually work with Premiere and AfterEffects, and I don't have third party plugins.

I appreciate your help very much

have great day

L

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles , Export , Formats , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

900% that is an awful lot.

Might want to have look at https://www.topazlabs.com/video-enhance-ai

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

> "...from scanned super8 footage...."

Your question is how best do I uprez my footage. And Ann's answer is as good as it gets. But I'm partly curious as to what you have done to make that process easier.

What do you actually have? What is the pixel resolution and framerate of the file? I'd look at it with MediaInfo in tree view.

Are you going to have to crop to get the display aspect ratio you need? Or was it shot with this in mind? I assume it is not 16:9. And some digitizers will put the full frame of the film scan into a 16:9 container (with black bars top and bottom or left and right). And to use it in an edit, you have to uprez A LOT to get to the actual footage you want.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines