• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Support for new iMac 2020 AMD Radeon 5700XT?

Explorer ,
Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot see that Premiere Pro is supprting the new graphics cards in 2020 iMac. Please tell me this isn't true. Can somoen advise please?

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Oct 03, 2020 Oct 03, 2020

I don't know for sure that the new iMac graphics cards work with Premiere Pro but as a user of a new Mac Pro with a AMD Radeon Pro W5500X and a new Macbook Pro with AMD Radeon Pro 5600M (HBM2) card both don't seem to have any issues running Premiere Pro (2019 & 2020). Working extensively with these machines for the last few months - and GPU (Metal) acceleration is on.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,
Oct 03, 2020 Oct 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know for sure that the new iMac graphics cards work with Premiere Pro but as a user of a new Mac Pro with a AMD Radeon Pro W5500X and a new Macbook Pro with AMD Radeon Pro 5600M (HBM2) card both don't seem to have any issues running Premiere Pro (2019 & 2020). Working extensively with these machines for the last few months - and GPU (Metal) acceleration is on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 03, 2020 Oct 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou Steve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jan, I'm close to buy a 27" with the 5700XT, too, Do you have any updates, and has it been fixed meanwhile? Or what are your experiences till now? Thanks and cheers, 
Phil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Phil - I beleive the issue was resolved by an update. Howwever, I decided that the XT was overkill for my needs and went with the Radeo Pro 5700 6GB memory instead. All working fine so far, Kind Regards Jan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jan,

i'm really interested in your last post.

I would like to buy the imac 2020 but as the 5700XT has many issue with adobe,

then i'm looking for the radeon pro 5700. How does it work with 4K, 6K ? 

If some people have this card i would really appreciate some advice.

Also if the issue of the radeon pro 5700XT has been solved with an update I would like to know if

somebody can confirm this !

Thanks a lot guys !

Franck 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me, struggling with the "best" sertup. Working daily with with nearly whole CC (PS, AI, INDD for typical mixed & pure graohicDesign, and AE/ PP for video, compositing, animation etc. But also some 3D Blender (not that intense as other) and on top Logic Pro for composing, music and sounddesign.

... So ... :

- On one hand faster processor for AE and Logic is a must. For any multithread app the i9 wins (eg Logic), but AE might benefit more from i7... Hmmm....

- On the other hand some fast 5700XT might speed up a lot PP and PS and of course 3D (at least with AMD Render Engine)

- Finally fast storage always makes a big difference too. Although beside some fast 7200 HD I already have 4 TB ext. SSD (2xCrucial X8 USB C), but they won't beat the internal SSD. So maybe worth some taking the 2TB instead of 1TB? (1TB is min for me, wont go with 512)

- RAM will be 64GB (I can but other 2x32 in future if really needed, 2 slots will remain empty. Won't mix with Apple Ram of course, but neither don't see 128GB needed for now)

Just posting it here, maybe there's someone around telling me straight forward like the big brother: "Forget the i9 for Logic, not worth the extra money" or something similar about the 5700 XT for PP & OS boost and so on ...

I keep on hoping, every personal opinion & experience welcome 😉

Cheers and fantastic day/weekend to all,

Phil 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Phil,

Did you finally buy the iMac with the 5700xt ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, still waiting for some user recommendations (perfect timing, as quartely taxes had to be payed too, so I don't mind waiting some days more to get the pockets refilled for Apple shopping 😆)

As I write above, I'm struggling on one hand about the processor, on the other about graphics. Let's see, if advice coming in here and in other places, I'll update it here, too.

Stay tuned 🤘
Phil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah i'm also waiting for answers but it looks like it's gonna take decade !

So I just bought the iMac 2019 with the graphic card pro vega 48

and its working the hell yeah with Premier !

For 2000$ this is the best investment to make. And I'll see whats going on with the next iMac 2021 !

Cheers 

Franck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This makes me kind of suspicious, too. It's a lot of people out there using premiere, And I think also a lot of user having bought the new iMac, but it's quite few people with this problem, I searched and investigated around a lot. Which made me asking about the exact setup (acutally, whenever I have a problem, I always list my full configuracion... If not, you might better consult a witch than a support community 😉 

Strongly believe in some missing gpu supprt update from adobe, and my tip is exactly the 5700XT... Let's see...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again.

As I said. I went for the Radeon Pro 5700 6GB with the iMac 2020. Below is  configuration.

Is working fine but Adobe Premiere Pro CC is painfully slow with the AMD Radeon Pro 5700 which is disappointing. Haven't downloaded latest PP upgrade 14.6 - is currently 14.0 so not sure if any more support added.

Photoshop is working liking a dream.

27-inch iMac witho Retina 5K display

• 3.8GHz 8-core 10th-generation Intel Core i7 processor with Turbo Boost up to 5.0GHz
  • 64GB of 2666MHz DDR4 memory
  • 2TB of SSD storage
  • Radeon Pro 5700 with 8GB of GDDR6 memory
  • Gigabit Ethernet
  • Standard glass
  • Magic Mouse 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone around suffering poor Premiere Pro performance on his new iMac (and everyone else of course, too 😄)

The more I look around, the clearer it becomes that it's all based on Adobe's bad (or better non-existing) GPU support of the AMD 5XXX GPUs (e.g. 5500, 5500m, 500, 5700XT, just to name some of those).

Officialy this can easily be checked at PP's official recommendations, none of the new cards is mentioned here:
https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/user-guide.html/premiere-pro/system-requirements.ug.html

As I mentioned above, I had a chat with the adobe online support about performance, compatibility and known bugs/issues of AE / PP with the new iMac (AMD GPUs). I emphasized clearly the bad user experiences here AND in other places. They stated literally that this iMac and all hardware is "... good enough to run both apps...".

Another somehow useless answer in this conversation was the following (I pointed the employee directly to the spec's site):
"... see, the cards which are not listed can only require force rendering on timeline (not necessary) (...) but that will work ..."

So, either they are badly trained or just ignorant and don't care about their clients anymore (or both). Anyway, what to do? I still haven't switched to new the new iMac, but I need to do really soon, so it will affect me, too.  ANd more important: I love Apple & Macs. So I don't want noone all around the world having bad experiences. I'm really empathic in this 🤣 

So, my suggestions for now:

• Pressure Adobe, always directing them to forum posts like this, and their official documents
  • The same about Apple, when having a support chat, always mention the problems with Adobe and the new iMacs (I would think that Apple neither is really happy about having angry clients complaining about bad 5.000$ Apple machines or worse, even giving up Mac and switching to PC or whatever). 
  • Read and make use off the user-votes section of Adobe: There are more and more posts complaing (although sadly they are noit bundled to one topic, as everyone writes his own post, instead of upvoting exisiting). That's why they just have 1, 2 or three "likes" each. Sadly, but anyway... Here are some links: 
    https://adobe-video.uservoice.com
    https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/category/332674/filters/new?page=2

Pretty sure there can be found more, but that's a start for everyone. Dont forget to upvote all posts concering this (or similar) issue(s)

Meanwhile, more options, at least to think about (for me, too)

• Switching to DaVinci Resolve. It's getting better reputation of professionals every daxy. Personally I git a lot of buddies and some agencies, already having kicked out PP and reporting awesome experience in DaVinci Resolve. I'll give it try now, too
  • Switching to Final Cut Pro. Well, performancewise this should be the best. Anyway, I really dislike the magnetic timeline concept of FCP, it's not intuitive for me. I started NLE with early Avid Systems and then went all the road along with the known NLE solutions. Liked FCP quite a while even more than Avid and Premiere, but with the magnetic one, well ... hard to become friend with it, simple trimming makes me furious. Maybe I should retry .... 🧐

Third option:
- Swtiching to PC 😵 WOOOHAA ... DID I say this? Nope, don't worry, more likely I'd re-install Avid Media Composer a 7.x.x system on a Power Mac hahahaha.  And be aware that bad performance, GPU driver issues and laggy UI are reported in the WIN-world, too. 

Hope this gave you all some new ideas. Let's cross fingers... Meanwhile, feel free to report any more personal experience especially concerning comparisons of real-world daily work with 5500/5700 and i7/i9. Still not sure, what config will be the best for me, so every voice counts here, too  👍

Cheers, have a great day and stay tuned 8)🤘
Phil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those of you with a 5K display, could you please check Pr's performance when it's launched in low resolution?

(Finder>Applications>Adobe Premiere Pro 2020>Select Adobe Premiere Pro 2020>Command+I and check the box Open in Low Resolution)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, @Jeff Bellune - I just tried that, and the performance is still the same.. Slow and disgusting. Unfortunately. Thank you though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone !

I just got some news from technical support from adobe

Here is the message :

"The External graphics card are supported for Premiere pro (Discreetly)
We have not seen any issues so far.
There is no direct mention for not supporting the card either.

As far as issues are concern, I am not sure which issues are concerned here?
Important note: 
The hardware decoding and encoding for h.264 HD formats seems to be missing in this card. as per their site but they have h.264 4k are supported
Regards"

What do you think guys ?
Franck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Franck,

to which cards espcially they referred when you were asking them? (the given answer is quite general, so just asking again). The issue reported here is mainly about the build-in GPUs in the new iMacs:

• AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT (8GB memory)
  • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 (8GB memory)
  • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT (16GB memory)

I don't know anything closer about support of eGPUs (I think they refer to this by "External graphics"), though it would be quite surprising supporting an W5700 XT in an external box while not supporting the build-in Pro 5700XT. I'm not a real expert about graphic cards, but I'd guess the should shoud be somehow similar.

Furthermore there seem to be various problems, bad perfoance in playback and editing, but it was also reported really laggy UI behaviour. I can't still check it on my own, though only trying to gather other user's experiences.

About missing h264 support of the cards themselves I would be surprised in days like this not well offering h264 and/or hevc. But interesting to find out more about it. 

Cheers,

Phil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Phil,

Sorry it was about the 5700XT 16GB.

I receive my imac 2019 i9 with the pro vega 48 in 2 days, i can't wait !

Spending too much time asking about all these graphic card problems !

Next computer will be the iMac next gen with i hope something else than the AMD pro ... 😉

Cheers !

Franck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with you Phil, the lack of support of Adoble premier Pro is appauling... I pay $600/yr and they have not even updated any graphics cards for almost 3 yrs and aren't even in sync with the new imacs and MBP's new graphics cards. Without the software written and the tech support for these cards and they make it very difficult to use Adobe. It seems they do not care.

I bought a new 2020 fully blown out imac with the 16GB 5700XT and it rendered SLOWER than on my 2017 imac. This is not only absurdly rediculous but stupid for Adobe not to put some of their huge profits into assuring that their custmers will keep using their product by providing stellar customer sevice like Apple. Their greed is overwhelming their logic I guess but your alternative suggestions of FCP and Divinci Resolve are tempting and I am considering them more and more much each frustrating phone call to their tech support and sale people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. I am regretting believing the assurance that Adobe Premiere Pro would be fine on my new iMac 2020. Am also thinking of the switch to FCP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too, I m very disappointed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2022 Jul 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow i've been dealing with this for a year now since i bought it. been in and out of apple for repairs, on the phone with them every other week for hours of my day. is this what it all comes down to, its an adobe thing?

Screenshot 2022-07-14 at 1.45.09 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@bradleyvt 

Premiere Pro should run really well on that model iMac.

I would try macOS Big Sur 11.6.5 with either Premiere Pro 2021 or 2022 using ProPres source in a ProRes Sequence.

It should also run After Effects, Audition, Photoshop, Illustrator, Media Encoder, Dimension, and Stager really well - assuming it passes the Apple Hardware Tests and Disk Utility shows all trh drives as being okay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah exactly it should, but it doesn't. that's what i've been doing for the past year. testing every single possible combination. big sur, catalina, monterey. 12 different hard drives, different configurations, every last version of premiere that i could deal with installing again. all the same. CPU% got as high as 2800 percent with my ram getting up to 160 gb then crashing so whenever i needed to work i would have to keep an eye on activity because as soon as i let it pass 40 there was no stopping it from climbing and crashing again.

after effects and media encoder ran just as poorly. photoshop, illustrator, in design and lightroom did fine but that's not what im primarly using so...

last i took it in to apple they replaced the logic board and the graphics card and gave it back saying there shouldnt be any issues. didnt even try rebooting from back up. started it brand new and it was even worse than before. that's when I tried big sur which only fixed the crashing every time I edit issue, and none of the versions of premiere made anything any better. 

today i installed the ventura os hoping it would help but i couldnt even play back a fully rendered timeline, so now i'm currently learning how to us final cut on the 90 day trial lol... it's been such an exhausting year dealing with something i thought would last me forever since it looks so good on paper. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bradley,

Sorry about this. This issue isn't typical and is the first I've heard of it. I have an older Intel MacBook Pro with a 4GB GPU, and it runs great. I'm not sure why this specific iMac gives you so much grief. I would like to put you in touch with support on this one. Have you opened a case with them yet? Contact support here: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html. Ask for the "video queue," and you can chat or talk with a qualified agent over the phone. Let me know if you get the assistance you need there.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines