• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

System Compatibility Report - Unsupported Video Driver - what are the consequences of ignoring this?

Participant ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Given that Premiere Pro is a non destructive editing tool, are there any consequences to the final output from ignoring the Unsupported Video Driver warning? In other words, if ignoring the warning creates visual anomalies for the editor, is that going to have any effect on the final Exported video file, or is that just what the editor will see when working on the project?

Charles

TOPICS
Editing , Export , Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

This answer is here.

Processor Intel® 6th Gen or newer CPU – or AMD Ryzen™ 1000 Series or newer CPU.

So, thanks for the suggestion, but again, according to Adobe's specs I need to replace my 5 year old computer only to run Premiere Pro. And there is no option to turn off the Compatibility Report warning every time the program launches. My PC is more than adequate for every other program I am running, including Adobe's suite of programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I copied this from a FB group written by Karl Lee Soule (Sr Technical Sales Manager Adobe).

Something to note on the new System Compatibility Report

This new feature will tell you if your system has a known problem with your system. There is the option to click “continue anyway” but do so at your own risk, particularly when the issue is a driver issue. 

In support and engineering, we’ve determined that a very high rate of crashes are driver-dependent. Premiere Pro uses the full capability of the hardware, and a bug in the driver may not be noticeable for other tasks, but could be causing a crash in Premiere.

If the System Compatibility Report is suddenly telling you you need to update a driver, it means we’ve identified a potential crash that can be caused by a bug in the driver you’re using. You may not be experiencing this crash now, but the problem exists. It’s like a “check engine” light on your dash - you can keep driving, but something is wrong.

Adobe is being much more proactive in identifying bad drivers and noting them in the System Compatibility Report, so a system that passed yesterday may flag a driver today if something new was identified. We want you to have the best experience with Premiere and this is gonna help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charles!

Sorry for the System Compatibility Report. We have an article that shows more information on this: https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects/faq-what-is-system-compatibility-report-in-after-effect...

Let us know if that helps.

Thanks,

Kartika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the input. I have been all over the available info, so I'm well aware of the recommended fixes. My problem is I am unable to update the driver because Adobe's driver is not compatible with my, only 5 year old, processor.  So, this means buying a whole new desktop computer for the possibility of Premiere crashing.  At least I know that is the only issue that this may cause, and from what you have said, sounds like it does not affect the quality of the editing.

My only other option is to continue using Premiere 2019 which does not have this problem. In a way, Adobe is forcing people to upgrade their computers by not providing some backward compatibility.

Charles

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Charles,

Sorry about this. That said, let us know your specs and the media you are editing with. Otherwise, we are only guessing.

Thank You,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, here are the specs:

Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 5 motherboard
Processor Intel Core i7 4770S - Haswell - Socket LGA1150

According to the specs for this motherboard list here, it is compatible with Processors Pentium, Celeron, Core i5, Core i3, Core i7, however none of the Adobe recommended Intel Integrated Graphic Chipsets are listed as being supported on the motherboard's Gigabyte support page.

Currently, I'm editing some old 16mm films that were professionally digitally transferred, and some old family camera tapes of varying formats.  I also own a Sony FDR-AX53 video camera which I intend to edit videos from (although I have not videod anything with it's 4K setting).

I'm wondering if the "possibility" of crashing only applies if you're editing 3D or very fast moving graphics like game sequences. If that's the case then there should be an option in settings to disable the System Compatibility Report which amounts to a "nag screen", without having to tweak the settings of the program installation, which is difficult and against Adobe's rules.

Aside from the Premiere System Compatibility warning, this PC still performs like a rocket, and is more than adequate for every other Adobe program, and all of the others that I have installed on it. Unless there is a graphics card that will work for this system the only solution is to buy or a build a completely new PC using a motherboard that is able to accomodate Adobe's supported video drivers. This is an unreasonable demand given that I spent over $2k only 5 years ago to build this PC using advice from a reputable source that assured me that the build would specfically be more than adequate for video editing. My only option is to continue to use Premiere 2019 for as long as it's available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Adobe's driver is not compatible

Adobe does not write video drivers... those come from Intel (for an onboard video 'chip' or video included in the CPU) or AMD/nVidia for plug-in cards

For a plug-in card, almost any 'new' card with at least 4Gig of video ram should work with Premiere Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I stand corrected about the video driver, I know Adobe does not write these.  According to this answer on a tech forum where I asked if they could recommend a specific graphics card or plug-in card for my situation, it's not possible with my motherboard:

(Premiere Pro) Minimum:
Intel® 6th Gen or newer CPU – or AMD Ryzen™ 1000 Series or newer CPU

Your CPU and motherboard will not support that level of CPU. And you can't change to a newer CPU, without changing the whole system. Motherboard/CPU/RAM.

If you can recommend the name and model of a specific card or plug-in card I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Charles

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One - prices have really increased due to Covid causing production reductions

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4Gig about $400 <-- in my computer (requires 6pin power cable... I paid $250)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4Gig about $300 <-- in wife's computer (motherboard power... I paid $175)

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6Gig about $600 (need to check power requirements)

Two - I can't guarantee that any of those cards will be compatible in the future

Do check to be sure your power supply will handle the load of an added video card

EDIT - 6 pin PCIE power cable, not 8 pin as I originally wrote

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But my CPU appears to be 4th Generation, so if I upgrade the video card will it still generate an error from Premiere Pro as the specifications say 6th Generation minimum is required? If yes, I'm back to buying a new computer, or not using the 2021 version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry... my computer build is new this year, so I can't answer that question

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This answer is here.

Processor Intel® 6th Gen or newer CPU – or AMD Ryzen™ 1000 Series or newer CPU.

So, thanks for the suggestion, but again, according to Adobe's specs I need to replace my 5 year old computer only to run Premiere Pro. And there is no option to turn off the Compatibility Report warning every time the program launches. My PC is more than adequate for every other program I am running, including Adobe's suite of programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines