Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Team Project vs. Shared Project

Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2021 Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 2 questions:

After watching numerous videos, I'm still confused about whether EITHER type of project is going to work for my situation, a Shared Project or a Team Project. I will be working with 1 other person to create ~75 minute videos for church using Premiere. There are multiple HD source videos.

We both have individual licenses and are working from home. There is no "shared storage" (like a corporation would have) unless we can use Google Drive or Dropbox for that. 

1. Do we need a different type of Adobe license in order to work together on this?

2. Which project type do you recommend?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2021 Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have media drives that are identical and you are not working on the same project at the same time, a regular premiere project will be fine.  Just email the project back and forth.  If you're working in the same project but on different sequences, you can just copy your sequence into a new project and email that project to your partner and he can import that sequence in to his project.  This may not be as elegant as shared projects or team projects neither of which I have used, but it will work.  Just requires some rigorous supervision...

And although I know there are some cloud based shared storage options out there, I personally wouldn't trust them.  bwdik.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In both cases you and your collaborator need to have the media local, how you achieve this is largely up to you (identical hard drive or any sharing service Google drive, dropbox, one drive, etc...).
As long as each of you have an Individual license Team Projects will work.

You can always start with either Project type, if you want to test the other approach you can convert a local Project to a Team Project and vice-versa via the menu item (Edit > Team Project > Convert...)
- Udo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amanda,

Good question. You can make a decision based on this general criteria:

1. Is the project one huge project, like a feature film or doc? Does the one project contain a lot of assets? Then you want to use a Shared Project, now referred to as a Production.
  2. If you have many, many short projects, each with only a few assets then the choice would be a Team Project. 

I hope that helps you come to an easier decision.

Thank You,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if it's a large project like a feature film - does that work in Teams?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It can, but as Kevin notes, the Productions might work better for massive projects. But ... again ... you need to understand the organinzation used in Productions work to make it work great.

You use folders on disc, created in the Productions panel, to organize your project. Within your folder structure, you use Projects to store assets & sequences. Think of projects more like the old bins.

Weird at first, but a very effective way to run PrPro.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've a lot of experiences with shared and Team projects.

First, Dropbox type work can be used as long as you use most transfer services like Dropbox ONLY to move files, not as local storage. Most of those services copy files to local drives, and constantly check for updates. Those reposted update 'checks' can cause PrPro to lose link to media at times.

LucidLink's service is entirely different ... and highly recommended. Our "team" is myself in Oregon, Mo in Cape Town SA. Our file storage is actually via LucidLink on Amazon S3 servers in London. Mo can tell me via phone he's uploading a folder of media. It will show in my LucidLink's local virtual drive within seconds. And in a few more seconds, I start seeing "files" in that folder.

A few seconds after the file icon appears, I can import the media into Premiere Pro and drag/drop it onto a timeline and start playback. With the file actually not even fully downloaded yet. An amazing service, designed to move file bits in the way post production apps need them.

It is highly recommended by Adob'e's video team.

Team Project operation is open for all CC users, it takes no special licensing.And Team Projects are a wonderful process, as the project files are stored in the shared CC Library, and uploaded/synced constantly. So all those on a TP can 'see' that someone else has uploaded changes, and can syn those changes to their project panel quickly. And safely.

Currently, the creator of the TP is the only one that should add media via the typical Project panel or Media Browser panel. All users need to use the Edit/Team Projects/Media Management panel to link storage of the media to their machines.

If you're using a LucidLink virtual drive, and the drive designations are the same across machines, they seem to see the link to the media just fine.

They are working at making media management more like "normal" Premiere Pro media management, as that is maybe the biggest area where those new to TP operation mess up. And yea, the one in our TP that messed it up royally was me. But we got it figured out, and wow ... it's a wondrous way to work!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines