• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Terminator Dark Fate: Trailer Remix Challenge!

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 18, 2019 Sep 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2019-09-18 12.15.41.pngTerminator Dark Fate: Trailer Remix Challenge!

When director Tim Miller envisioned the new Terminator: Dark Fate movie, he knew Adobe Premiere Pro had the tools up to the task. Now we’re giving you the chance to remix the Terminator: Dark Fate trailer with Adobe Premiere Pro or Premiere Rush. Use source files from the film, plus a collection of free Adobe Stock assets — this is your moment to choose your fate.

Please discuss this challenge below. Let me know if you have any questions.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Sep 18, 2019 Sep 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kevin. I'm gonna go for a 15 second trailer. I downloaded the first zip file and got media into resolve 15 with optimized stuff ( half res, DNxHR SQ) 30 fps rec 709 managed color. Will use CS6 audition and other stuff as needed. Is on silly game laptop now, and that's fine for this sort of thing.

Wish I had slated shots and sound (dialogue) but I might be able to sync close to first take and see if the rest is also in sync. Haven't got that far yet.

Is fun, though, just to have source materials that are halfway decent shots, and a story to tell.. that's like really important.

Thanks !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Sep 19, 2019 Sep 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hmmm. This is not as easy as I thought. I did a bunch of internet searches to get a 'synopsis' of the story, and also who's who ( characters and relationships). Zero brainstorms so far. Trying to whittle down to the fundamentals is impossible without knowing the gist of the story to begin with. But I'm working on it.

is fun to try.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think you need to know the characters as you are "remixing" the trailer into a wholly new story. YOU are the one that has to create imaginary character traits, storylines, etc. I have an idea too. I think it will be hilarious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remixing the Terminator: Dark Fate Trailer with Peter McKinnon | Adobe Premiere Pro Tutorial
Join Peter McKinnon as he shares his creative tip to help you edit your own trailer remix using Premiere Pro for the upcoming blockbuster, Terminator: Dark Fate. Peter walks you through how to create a low pass filter audio effect to help you design a cinematic audio effect using this simple tip inside Premiere Pro.

Low pass filter effects can be achieved with the FFT effect in Adobe Audition. Here are some resources:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2019-09-19 12.19.19.png

Recent tweet on the Adobe Premiere Pro channel.

I'll be back....I'll be back....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Editing an ACTUAL HOLLYWOOD MOVIE TRAILER!!
JOIN THE CONTEST! https://terminator.adobe.com/
Check out Peter McKinnon's tutorial on this trailer:
https://adobe.ly/30uMJCG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2019 Sep 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! 
I visited the website for the challenge, scrool down to check the rules and terms of the contest, click the link indicated for that purpose, and it always takes me back to the main challenge website were no rules and terms can be found!?
How or where can i see that information to check the rules and see if i am eligible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't have that problem. The rules link was opening a zipped file, so it never left that page. And, no, I didn't open them!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not gonna make up my own story. That's an interesting idea, though. I can see how that would be fun to do. I'm just thinking of doing a 15 second trailer to get people to watch the movie the way the story is now. Won't be easy and maybe I'm not good enough to do it. I especially miss slated shots ( for sound sync of dialogue) and also miss a music score of some sort, special effect sounds ( like machine gun and explosions and spaceships flying), not to mention all the other things I know I don't have to work with. But I'm really glad this kind of thing is being offered !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first clip sound sync. Did it on the word "talk". Your tongue has to go up to roof of mouth to make that sound, and it's easy to see talent do that on a frame and put that segment of sound to it.

The mp3 dialogue stuff was dragged into a new audio level and butted together and exported as an independent mp3, so the time codes have nothing to do with the video clips. Each clip has to be sync'd manually somehow.

The means cutting the sound file, of course, so you can link sections to the individual clips. So that's my first mission. 

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

forgot to put first sample clip with sound sync done. It's like 4 seconds ? Better hurry if I want to do the total thing in15 seconds !!!!

[video]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Sep 21, 2019 Sep 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, my idea of doing a trailer in 15 seconds just flew out the window.

I'll be lucky if I can squeeze into 30 seconds. Yikes.

Need music, sound effects and inspiration !!!!

🙂

https://vimeo.com/361532773

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Sep 22, 2019 Sep 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

added some jet noise, starting to stack the sound stuff. will get out the h4n zoom sound recorder later and crumple up some film gel scrap ( cto or ctb ) to get crackling noise for ball of plasma thing the unclothed guy comes in.

and add a kettle drum 'hit' at end when he drops out... I have that sound on the pig ( edit computer, I'm using laptop for this ).

then I'm screwed. Dead in the water.

Gotta add other characters and a few snippets of dialogue within about 20 secs. And figure out what to do for some kind of music score.

wouldn't it be more fun and 'creative' to sorta share what we are doing as we do it here ???  We could get ideas from on another, etc. 

????

https://vimeo.com/361632989

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is an interesting browser thing. it used to be that when people responded to threads they went to the top. Now it does nothing.

I'll probably just end up checking that bell icon when I sign in, and just look at the first screen of listed posts, and narrow it down to that level of interest etc.

This thread is cool cause Kevin was interested in getting into more 'creative' aspects of using the forum.. sharing ideas and working methods and so on... to just do the work of 'telling stories' ... 

I am now dead in the water re: this trailer, unless I get a brain storm while watching the football game with sound off. I'm a sound idiot. I get info from the visual stuff mostly.

So now, I have to come up with some really impressive music and finish what I have pre-determined to be a 15 second trailer, stretched out to 30 secs, cause 15 sec idea was totally crazy.

I crinkled up some mylar in the bathroom, added some elec stock stuff, couldn't find drum hit so took metal door slamming stock and went to EQ and made it all bass... and now I'm dead in the water.

https://vimeo.com/361661733

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, this is it... 21 seconds. I guess 30 seconds would be a nice round number ( with a graphic and title and credits or whatever ).. but I'm done.

https://vimeo.com/361731866

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Sep 23, 2019 Sep 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that was interesting. After I submitted my 21 sec version I went online and looked at a couple trailers and found the one that this source stuff comes from, and that trailer begins and ends exactly like mine ,,, which makes sense ,,, but I'm glad I didn't work on it anymore than I did. Was fun to do the mylar thing and drum hit sound and also it made me move stock sound FX to the laptop and find copyright free music at library .. so it was worth doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Sep 23, 2019 Sep 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

time for housekeeping ... delete all the source stuff from contest and the cached stuff and delete projects and so on and so forth. This is a very important thing for me with wimpy computer stuff. I deleted those earlier vimeo uploads but left last one up for now.

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2019 Sep 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why India is not added into countries for joining the challenge. I also wanted to join. There is any other way to join the challenge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Burhan, In my opinion the true value of the competition or 'challenge' is what YOU get out of it using the source materials to make the trailer. I don't know what people get when they download the zip (source) files because I only have cs6 and can't open the project file(s). Also, it's my belief that making a 'better' trailer rather than a spoof or joke or some kind of whacky alternative is best. Like, imagine you want the trailer to play as a TV commercial of 30 seconds.  Make one that is 30 seconds to see if you can do it.  That to me is the real value of this whole thing. Actually 'entering' the challenge ( uploading your finished sample ) is not really that important. Sharing what you do HERE is a lot more important, cause then everyone learns from one another what they are doing to solve certain problems.

I didn't watch the real trailer until I'd finished mine, and was kind of surprised mine starts and ends like the real trailer. But then again, when you scrub through the stuff, it's hard to imagine starting or ending it any other way. Maybe start with the dialogue of who she is and the aerial shot of vehicle traveling along ridge... 

The trouble with that is you get into the pickup bed immediately with characters you have no clue about except for Sarah.

The sound of my plasma thing was done by recording mylar being crumpled up and the drum hit by using a stock steel door slam ( bass only in the EQ of audition ) ... and stuff like that is fun to share.

I think that sort of thing is more important than entering the actual 'challenge'.   For one thing I don't want a subscription even if it was a gift. My computers are not powerful enough to use the modern Adobe stuff. And I don't use the internet on my edit computer.

So, in conclusion, get the source stuff, make something, post it to youtube or vimeo, and share it with us.. and tell us if you did anything fun to resolve problems etc.

The copyright laws and the hoops the people had to go through to just GET this source material to the public is probably way too complicated to simply change what countries can enter the competition. I have no clue.

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Burhan, One other thing, with my sample.  In MN. (U.S.) there is a library system ( State, County, City ) all linked together including some services that are peripheral to the actual loaning of books and stuff. For example, there is a thing called Freegal which allows you to download music ( not a loan, but to keep ). The money for that stuff comes from federal, state, county funds (taxpayer money) where they buy the rights for the stuff so it can be distributed via library related 'Freegal' site.  I went there and got some terminator theme song or whatever it's called, which was recorded by some group, and that's what I used in my sample. I'm sure I would have to do some investigation into the rights issue if I were to use the sound for commercial purpose, but otherwise it's free to use and I suggest that all those who have nice library systems online do the same... look for stuff you can use.

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 25, 2019 Sep 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I've recently started editing the Terminator challenge/promotion that adobe has put up, I was wondering if there where any copyright regulations in the challenge, for instance using epidemic sounds music library, and also, can I download the 2nd trailer and use footage from it in my edit?

https://terminator.adobe.com/challenge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 25, 2019 Sep 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2019-09-25 16.46.17.png

In today's livestream, we'll talk about entering the Terminator: Dark Fate trailer remix challenge.
Jason will show you where and how to access assets, music, SFX and more and a few little tips to get started.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2019 Sep 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin, quick question. In the terms and conditions, it states "You agree that you will not use the Entry for any other purpose, including, without limitation, posting the Entry to any online social networks (other than for entry into this Promotion), without the express consent of Sponsor in each instance." The bit in parenthesis is confusing. Does that mean it's ok, for example, to post your entry to Twitter so long as you're not using the trailer for anything else other than as promotion of your entry into the contest? Or are you just 100% not allowed to post your finished trailer on Vimeo, YouTube, Twitter, etc.?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines