Terminology?? Manual??

Participant ,
Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a newbie to Premier, having spent a great deal of time in Audition, but still learning there.

I know I'm a bit old school in this way, but it would be nice if there was a list of terminology. I know there were issues with what terms meant, but there is nothing wrong with a list of terms and what they mean withing Premier, along with perhaps areference to the past. eg "Bin"  and nest vs group vs link.  This would be a quck reference, useful to newbies especially as they try to learn and ask questions here or read the various tutorials.

Along those same lines, a real manual, a PDF that is, would be incredibly useful. I know, that too is a bit old school, but a well indexed manual could be had quite easily, and could also sync with and be kept up-to-date with online tutorials, as I hear Adobe has products that can easily make that happen.

It is very frustrating trying to pick this up with the incredible amount of disjointed information spread all over the place. Even chat support struggles to send links to relevant information, sometimes even sending links to third party sites.

TOPICS
How to, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the best things about Resolve is the most AWESOME manuals they always have Alexis Van Hurkman write. Sigh. Premiere needs such a thing.

They do have a pdf that's a somewhat decent starting point. I'm on my tablet or I'd post the link. I will try to do that later.

Link is to essentially 'attach' separate audio & video files to use them on a sequence as one file, as if shot in a camera.

Nest ... is a process-separating "tool". You apply some effects to a clip, then right-click "nest", then apply more. Then Premiere applies the full processing for all the effect within the nest first, then applies the effects after the nest. Some effects, like Warp and Lumetri, when applied to a clip can cause problems. Apply Warp, analyze, nest; then apply Lumetri.

Yea, there's a ton of terms like that that are confusing. Then I get around all the colorists I work with ... and they go on about the OTF, whether to put an IDT and ODT in the same node, whether they prefer a LogC or RWlog3G10  working space, whether to use ACES with AP0 or AP1 ... and that's just for startes. Yowza!

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not on my phone (!), so here's the link Neil promised:

https://helpx.adobe.com/content/dam/help/en/pdf/premiere_pro_reference.pdf

This is the latest version of the PR pdf - at the point the first release of PR 2020 occurred: Nov 2019.

Here's the on line version:

https://helpx.adobe.com/support/premiere-pro.html?mv=product&mv2=pr

Stan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks R Neil, Stan & John,

Why didn't the Adobe chat support people point me to that PDF whn I asked? They gave me a link to the 2016 version and told me that was the last one. We are payig a subscription fee because why???

How in the world does one find that guide?? Are their others (Audition??)

Are they kept up-to-date??

Surely there is a method for doing that, perhaps using Creative Cloud?

I'd love to see manual and other online tutorials where they could be constantly updated, but we could attach bookmarks and notes. This is possible; why isn't it happening?? Adobe is big enough to do this really well. Videos, sample files, etc.., could all be embedded.  It is such a scatter shot now. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a link to pdf for many products.

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/offline-help.html

Note that that page includes instructions on how to get the pdf to open from the PR help menu.

But Adobe decided, some time back, to go with an on line version as the updated go to, with links to tutorials, etc. That is the second link I gave. The main page includes a link to "Get started," "Tutorials," and the actual "User Guide."

Stan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
dancingbrook AUTHOR LATEST
Participant ,
Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again Stan,

Shame because not everyone lives with high speed internet, or internet at all.

Anyone know of updated cheat sheets?? I have one for Audition from 2015. 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dancingbrook,

Great comments & questions in your last post. Every ACP in the "Adobe Community Professionals" program agrees with you. We have been hitting everyone we can within Adobe about the sad state of their "manuals" ... and how freaking hard it is to find them. However, we are not, shall we say, "powerful?" ... within Adobe.

Even all the Program managers want more informative working user manuals. And I've talked with most of them between NAB/Vegas for all the video apps plus at Adobe MAX for all CC apps. But it's the people above them who run everything by metrics, who insist that people don't actually use those things these days, so it's useless to make them.

It's a dang hard battle.

Go to the UserVoice website, search for other posts requesting a user manual. Upvote them. Post a link back here so everyone can go vote on the thing. Those submissions on UserVoice are collated and sent up to those upper managers. Those are metrics that they actually see. Maybe it will help.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines