Highlighted

Terrible playback with LUTs in Premiere Pro 14.5

Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using LUTs in Lumetri, playback performance becomes really poor - like, stuck at 10-12fps consistently. Overall responsiveness drops as well. This is especially true with "heavier" LUTs and when using them in an adjustment layer.

Any version of Pr Pro 2020 beyond 14.3.1 exhibits this issue, so it's been around for a while. I was bummed to find that the issue is still present in 14.5 because the GPU accelerated decoding for H.264/265 media is an excellent addition.

Anyone know of a workaround? Or if Adobe is looking into this bug?

General notes:

• I've noticed this problem on multiple systems (specs below)
  • It happens on all types of video sizes and codecs I've tested (H.264, HEVC, ProRes, 4K footage, 1080p footage, etc.)
  • Smaller file size LUTs seem to create less of an issue than larger ones but still noticeably reduce playback performance
  • I believe adjustment layers create even more of an impact hit

System Specs:

System 1

Windows 10 (May 2020 update)

i7-7820X

64GB DDR4 2666MHz RAM

GTX 1070 (have used multiple drivers to test but currently on latest studio driver)

All drives are either NVMe SSDs or SATA SSDs

System 2

i9-9900K

64GB DDR4 2666MHz RAM

GTX 1070

1TB NVMe SSD

TOPICS
Editing, Error or problem, Formats, Freeze or hang, Performance, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Terrible playback with LUTs in Premiere Pro 14.5

Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using LUTs in Lumetri, playback performance becomes really poor - like, stuck at 10-12fps consistently. Overall responsiveness drops as well. This is especially true with "heavier" LUTs and when using them in an adjustment layer.

Any version of Pr Pro 2020 beyond 14.3.1 exhibits this issue, so it's been around for a while. I was bummed to find that the issue is still present in 14.5 because the GPU accelerated decoding for H.264/265 media is an excellent addition.

Anyone know of a workaround? Or if Adobe is looking into this bug?

General notes:

• I've noticed this problem on multiple systems (specs below)
  • It happens on all types of video sizes and codecs I've tested (H.264, HEVC, ProRes, 4K footage, 1080p footage, etc.)
  • Smaller file size LUTs seem to create less of an issue than larger ones but still noticeably reduce playback performance
  • I believe adjustment layers create even more of an impact hit

System Specs:

System 1

i7-7820X

64GB DDR4 2666MHz RAM

GTX 1070 (have used multiple drivers to test but currently on latest studio driver)

All drives are either NVMe SSDs or SATA SSDs

System 2

i9-9900K

64GB DDR4 2666MHz RAM

GTX 1070

1TB NVMe SSD

TOPICS
Editing, Error or problem, Formats, Freeze or hang, Performance, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 23, 2020 1
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sam,

Sorry about this. Are the LUTs third party ones, or the native Lumetri LUTs? I'll try to verify for you, if I can. 

Thank You,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 23, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

I've tested with both third party LUTs and the native ones in Lumetri. The playback issues are present with all of them

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 23, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be clear, the issue intensifies depending on the application and type of LUT, as I described in my original post. I can't remember where the native Lumetri LUTs fall on that spectrum.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 23, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

Any updates on this? Since posting the other day, I've done some further searching and it appears to be a fairly widespread issue. I have found multiple other threads of people bringing up the same problem with playback performance when using LUTs. Just keeping to this forum and only going back a month or so, here are some similar threads I came across: 

Thread 01

Thread 02

Thread 03

Thread 04

Thread 05

The issue seems to affect both MacOS and Windows systems and is only present in Premiere versions after 14.3.1. Any sort of help/insight here would be appreciated - even if that's only an acknowledgement that Adobe engineers are aware of and looking into it. As I'm sure you can imagine, this bug is a serious detriment to my (and likely many others') workflow.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having the same issues. Playback is fine until I apply a correction LUT provided by Canon for my EOS R5 and then FPS goes to 5-10 fps. I didn't have this issue until around version 14.1.

System

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2019)

OS X 10.15.7 (19H2)

2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9

32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

Radeon Pro Vega 20 4 GB

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 23, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done some further testing and the issue doesn't seem to be present in the Premiere 14.6 beta. While that is encouraging, unfortunately, it also means using the beta version for the time being, or waiting until 14.6 is released in the stable channel.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 29, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone found a workaround? I am also having the same issue and it's a huge inconvenience in my workflow and video quality. Hoping it will be fixed soon! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 29, 2020 0