Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The untangled wonkyness of pasting AE transform effect keyframes into PR

Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few users have mentioned the secret but awesome ability to copy AE layers with their properties, keyframes and even sometimes effects directly into PR with the usual CMND/CNTR+C on the layer in AE and CMND/CNTRL+V in a sequence in PR.  In fact the great Jarle of Jarle's presets told me this is how he made his awesome "deadpool camera shake presets for PR" by tracking real camera shake in AE then copying the layer with motion keyframes into PR and saving the motion properties as PR presets.  

But I thought I'd take this one step further and use the Transform effect for similar camera shake presets since it is more versatile and can even be applied to adjustment layers in order to shake everything below.  I copied a layer from AE that had been animated using the wiggle expression and then used the convert expression to keyframes option and then tried copy/pasting that layer into PR.  It worked and the effect carried over but the values which in AE were bouncing around 1920x1080 (the center for a 4K video) had simply become .5 and .5 in PR.  Anyway after many hours of deconstructing the strange translation of this data from AE to PR I figured out what goes wrong and it's probably just a bit of buggy code in how PR handles the information from AE in combination with the way it attempts to adapt the values of an affect on a layer of one size to a layer of a different size.  Below I have some math that explains it the best I can.  I hope this helps, I saved my keyframes in the end as a preset using the transform effect and could share the preset I made if you want (stupidly this forum wont allow me to attach .prfpset files.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When you copy a layer from AE to PR its base level transform/motion properties translate objectively and correctly (hence why it was easy for Jarle to make his presets using those properties).   BUT when you copy and paste the Transform EFFECT (an effect that exists in AE & PR) from a clip of one dimension to a clip of another dimension in Premiere it tries to adjust the values so if your destination clip is smaller for example, the transform adjustments are similarly smaller.

The math for this is not too complicated, it basically turns the values of the transform effect on the source clip into a percentage of its source dimensions and multiplies those by the destination dimensions.
(Source clip EFFECT x,y ÷ source layer DIMENSIONS x,y ) X (destination layer DIMENSIONS x,y)

BUT when you go from AE to PR it screws things up because it adds an extra permutation highlighted here in BOLD:

(AE Source Layer EFFECT x,y ÷ AE source layer DIMENSIONS x,y) X (PR destination layer dimensions) ÷ (AE source layer dimensions)

It's almost as if PR starts to repeat the original permutation again, as you can see the two similar steps underlined (the second being unnecessary and the cause of frustration)

So..
If innocently you think having an AE source layer with a width of 3840 and a transform effect X-value of 1920 in AE will get you a transform effect in PR also with a value of 1920 you will be upset to find what you will really get is:

1920 ÷ 3840 =.5

.5 x 3840 =1920

1920 ÷ 3840 = .5

The solution I found is to basically reduce the layer in AE to 1px and use a transform of .5. This gives me

.5 ÷ 1 = .5

.5 x 3840 =1920

1920 ÷ 1=1920

Then I did the whole wiggle expression in AE, turned it into keyframes, copied the clip into PR and it worked.

If you have a more elegant explanation or solution to reversing this translation error please let me know!

Also ADOBE  PLEASE FIX THIS LITTLE BUG IT WOULD BE A HUGE HELP thanks!

TOPICS
Effects and Titles , Error or problem , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 09, 2021 May 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone recently asked me to provide detailed steps so here goes!

1. In AE make a solid of 1x1px (comp size doesn't matter)
2. Add the transform effect from the effects panel
3. To the transform effect position property add the wiggle expression --> wiggle(freq,amp) But for amplitude take whatever value you wanted things wiggled by on your full resolution, and multiply that by the result of: (1/source resolution).  Since my effect was eventually going to be used on 4k footage I did 1/3840 which is 2.604166666666667e-4 (use a calculator 😉 and multiplied that by 8 and got .002. 
3. Right click on your position property with the wiggle expression and go to >keyframe assistant>convert expression to keyframes
4. Then click on the solid layer and copy (cmnd/cntrl+c)
5. Open premiere and click in your a timeline and paste (cmnd/cntrl+v)
6. You now have a solid in your timeline with a transform effect on it. The values are still .05 don't worry yet
7. Select that transform effect and then right click on it and copy
8. Find the 4k footage or adjustment layer you would like to add the effect to and select it and paste.

DONE!

Now you can right click on that transform effect and go to "save preset" so you can use it anytime you want!

Let me know if that works. Sorry for the delay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2021 Dec 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked like a charm. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 06, 2021 Dec 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Alex,

This action with the Transform effect and other effects coming from After Effects to Premiere Pro isn't officially supported to my knowledge, but glad to know that Jarle has unlocked this workflow for you and you have gotten it to work. Since I believe it is unsupported, I'm not sure if "a fix" can be implemented as such. You should report it on User Voice, though, and that is the method to get any attention to this issue you are facing if you still need it.

I see that the post here is a couple of years ago and tdowning recently revived it from legacy posts. If you still desire an improvement on this behavior - again, User Voice is the place to leave that request.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines