Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

'This effect requires GPU acceleration'

Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2018 Jul 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HELP!

I have Premiere Pro in Creative Cloud on my iMac running High Sierra 10.13.6 and it's all legit software for everything. However I have a beast of a problem which is driving me mental which is when I see a prompt saying 'This effect requires GPU acceleration'. I cannot do this at all and spent over a whole day trying to fix this to no avail - is there a solution to this? If so, can it please be explained to me in workmanlike terms, because I feel like Premiere Pro is not worth using with me being unable to fix this.

A million thanks in advance if any one of you kind people could assist in a solution!

Ed

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 29, 2018 Jul 29, 2018

TLDR:

Try the following: Drag the VR effect to the bottom of the effects "stack" in the Effect Controls panel. Another option is nesting it and adding the VR effect to the clip.

Why does this occur? If you are receiving this "red banner" error, you have a CPU-based effect later in the order of the effects than a GPU-accelerated "VR" effect (in the stack of effects in the Effect Controls panel); the accelerated effect will be rendered on the CPU instead (and an error will be triggered in the fo

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
May 08, 2020 May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried rolling back a driver/two/three? Some of Nvidia's latest drivers have been buggy.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 09, 2020 May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already have rolled back driver because I use Octane which is famous for
having conflicts with latest drivers. I never use latest nvidia drivers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had been using NVidia drivers from January prior to this update and those were also not working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Your GPU is not powerful enough to support GPU accelerated effects.

Is ASUS GTX 1070 OC not powerful too? Because I have the same problem.
Mecury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (CUDA) - enabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

qweq,

What CPU are you using? What OS? And what effects?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am, of course, getting the same "acceleration" message, but I have not seen a reference here to my imac, which is a 2019 model, or my GPU.

Radeon Pro 570X:

Chipset Model: Radeon Pro 570X

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 4 GB

Vendor: AMD (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x67df

Revision ID: 0x00c5

ROM Revision: 113-D0008A-042

VBIOS Version: 113-D0008A14GL-003

EFI Driver Version: 01.B1.042

Metal: Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily2 v1

Displays:

iMac:

Display Type: Built-In Retina LCD

Resolution: 5120 x 2880 Retina

Framebuffer Depth: 30-Bit Color (ARGB2101010)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Automatically Adjust Brightness: No

Am I in the same boat that my GPU just isn't up for the task. I am making a video in After Effects and get the error message when attempting to us the VR digital glitch.

"You'll need to use software only mode for the Mercury Playback Engine." Where do I find where to adjust the software mode for the Mercury Playback Engine? Is it possible to use an outside GPU to boost performance with this model of imac? If so, what would your recommendations be for a unit?

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac19,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 3 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 6

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 9 MB

Memory: 16 GB

Boot ROM Version: 1037.100.345.0.0

SMC Version (system): 2.46f12

Serial Number (system): C02YW5NCJV3N

Hardware UUID: 504AB89B-F602-5927-AF7F-CDBDA32BA3F1

thanks, Chistopher Gatelock

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am, of course, getting the same "acceleration" message, but I have not seen a reference here to my imac, which is a 2019 model, or my GPU.

Radeon Pro 570X:

Chipset Model: Radeon Pro 570X

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 4 GB

Vendor: AMD (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x67df

Revision ID: 0x00c5

ROM Revision: 113-D0008A-042

VBIOS Version: 113-D0008A14GL-003

EFI Driver Version: 01.B1.042

Metal: Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily2 v1

Displays:

iMac:

Display Type: Built-In Retina LCD

Resolution: 5120 x 2880 Retina

Framebuffer Depth: 30-Bit Color (ARGB2101010)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Automatically Adjust Brightness: No

Am I in the same boat that my GPU just isn't up for the task. I am making a video in After Effects and get the error message when attempting to us the VR digital glitch.

"You'll need to use software only mode for the Mercury Playback Engine." Where do I find where to adjust the software mode for the Mercury Playback Engine? Is it possible to use an outside GPU to boost performance with this model of imac? If so, what would your recommendations be for a unit?

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac19,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 3 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 6

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 9 MB

Memory: 16 GB

Boot ROM Version: 1037.100.345.0.0

SMC Version (system): 2.46f12

Serial Number (system): C02YW5NCJV3N

Hardware UUID: 504AB89B-F602-5927-AF7F-CDBDA32BA3F1

Running Mojave 10.14.6

thanks, Chistopher Gatelock

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another solution for this issue: lowering resolution on your media. (A combination of rendering/transcoding source footage may also help).

I encountered the bug when adding one of the VR "Immersive Video" transitions between two images with a Nvidia card. I've noticed it happen intermittently this year on certain images. (Though last year, on a different computer with a Radeon card, it was happening 100% of the time whenever I used a VR transition).

In my current project, the effect(s) work on some combinations of images/videos but not others. After experimenting (removing markers, new sequences, new projects, same images, etc.), it seems that using very high resolution images above a certain threshold (e.g. 9500 pixels wide) triggers this bug for me. When I cropped the original image from 10773 pixels wide down to 9500 and brought it back into Premiere, the warning disappeared and the effect worked.

I'm not sure if this is an arbitrary cutoff (i.e. 9xxx pixels max) or just a measure of my card not having enough VRAM (2GB) versus the specific images, though the latter would be more likely.

It would be nice if Premiere threw a specific error when this happens (i.e. "Your card does not have enough VRAM to support that effect on this media"), so that people can troubleshoot by resizing content rather than checking Project settings, drivers, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is potentially really helpful, thank you. In premiere, I'm getting this 'requires GPU acceleration' on basic effects. The VR stuff is fine. Very puzzling but will try lowering resolution and see what happens...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2020 Sep 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an NVIDEA 1650 Super. why i am getting the error

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2020 Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What can I do if this porblem is happening to me on a Windows? I don't know all these fancy terms people are using sorry, does it mean my laptop just isn't capabale of doing these types of effecst then? That sucks... 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need your computer specs ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That’s what I said though I don't understand all the terms people are using here... its a Lenovo Yoga 530, 117GB. Can you tell me what else you need to be able to help me?! I've read a few other sources and watched videos and they all give the same process that my PP isn’t coming up with. I have the newest version of PP as I have nonfictions on for the adobe cloud to update so I always keep my apps at the newest form.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The specs would be the CPU/RAM/GPU and the GPU driver in use. Premiere, as an app designed primarily for pro use, "assumes" (requires) a fair amount of iron to work at all, if not well.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This issue is getting soo anoying! Can somebody from stuff explain to me how in the world I can get this error while:
I just builded new rig (as I thought its some kind of a problem in my laptop with gtx 1060(3gb)) with such specs:
Ryzen 5 3600 (temporarly as I'm waiting until r9 5900x will be shipped)
128GB of Ram 3200mhz
RTX 3070 (8GB)
Windows 10 Home
Newest drivers, newest Premiere - yesterday donwloaded everything
Samsung 980pro 1TB
Of course GPU acceleration is enabled.
Issue - When Im adding some kind of transition effect based on adjustment layers (You know, those one click transitions U can buy on most of the pages) its rendering it, ok. However Im adding something more, like quake effect on top of it or just another transition I just get this red bar with ,,this effect require GPU acceleration". Of course each effect can be rendered separately but it seems like its too much when I want to render some more complicated part and then it crash like that and gives me this bar on the rendered video. I watched Vram usage as I thought its maybe exeeding this 8gb or such, but it even dont want to go over 3gb in total and actualy all of assigned Vram from the windows is 72GB so Im completely lost now. I specialy bought new computer to make such effects easy and I see its not the case of bad device only most possibly the sofware itself. The usage of the CPU during such render is around 100% and GPU escilate in 0-6% but mostly is not idling. RAM usage max 32GB. Can somebody explain me this as obviously I have GPU to accelerate this effects so how it can be saying something like that? Please help as I cannot find any answer on the intenet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you have mulitple effects in a section, it can choke things, or get wonky.

The typical two solutions are:

• apply one of the heavy effects, then 'nest' the clip
  • apply one of the heavy effects, then Render & Replace the clip with now baked-in effect.

Some transitions actually require a lot more computational power than you'd think, so I would suggest applying the transition, then nesting, then applying the next step.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You very much for an answer.

However In my case the nesting havent changed nothing thats one.

Second point is that finally Ive found out something. Followed by a post from some guy among houndrets of the others who said that the sequence of the types of adjustments layers does mean. In my example one transition is based on three different layers - two gifs and adjustment layer between them. When I add another adj layer on top of them with a simple shake effect then it renders everything with this red bar. What is the funniest I think that the effects are all rendered correctly but the bar remains. When I place those four layers like adjustments on the bottom and two gifs on top it goes through it without an error - so its not about the computing ability as there is the same amount of  tasks to do. When I nest this like You say harder effect (gif-adj-gif) and adding shake adjustment layer on top it changes nothing - still bar visible.

I understand Your second point of rendering and replacing but well... I do not pay so much monthly for this software and 4k euro for computer to still go around this problem when 4 times weaker computer behaved the same. Second thing is I'm professional and dont want to re-render any video twice or more times as every rendering drops the quality (even with those lossless formats which claims to be ones but try to watch the exact piece in much zoom and compare the pixels - in some low light scenarios the lost is unnaceptable).

Concluding - its obviously the software issue and so many people are struggling with that claiming that they have no help from Adobe side. 

In additon I want to say that adobe utilize my GPU as I see it in previews and working on x265 when the 4k playback is supersmooth. My thinking about this problem is like the premiere is rendering some effect maybe with the help of GPU on the begining, maybe not and then is coming onto something where CPU needs to render but then again on GPU requiring effect and it might be like its not giving this job to GPU or not seeing it somehow claiming that it needs it and poping this bar. Can somebody finaly examine what is happening with Ur software and give Us working fix? Please... I will be happy to share this one project with my simple example right away. Can You help please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 14, 2020 Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) has this GPU:- AMD Radeon R9 M390 2 GB

I appreciate that this is a bit old but according to this Adobe page, it's a "recommended" GPU.

In Project Settings, I have 3 options for Renderer:-

1. Mercury Playback Engine Software Only
  2. Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (Metal) - Recommended
  3. Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (OpenCL) - Deprecated

Of these three, the one that I would expect to work is option #2.

In fact, none of them work with the more complex transitions (e.g. VR Light Rays)

I do not have any such problem in my 2019 16" MacBook Pro which has AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4 GB.

My argument is, given that Adobe list my iMac's GPU as supported/recommended, it really should work!

Sadly, trying to get proper technical support from Adobe is nigh on impossible.

So now I have a couple of options for myself... Either get a nice monitor for my MacBook Pro (e.g. Benq SW271) and ditch my dear old iMac or get Final Cut Pro. As a long time Creative Cloud customer subscribing to their photographer's bundle, I'm loathe to go the Apple route but needs must I suppose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to enable mercury playback engine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said I have this power on and its not a case but thanks 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem, have a GTX980, is that too old for doing a VR Plane To Sphere? Really? Rendering 360 stereo over/under 4096 square. And while I'm here, how do I apply a nadir image to both left and right halved (top and bottom) with ease? My guess is what I really need to do is process the nadir image to 4096 wide, one frame of that, to a jpg or png, and then import that as a normal image (twice, once for left/top and right/bottom), yes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...ah then, nevermind. Leaving this here in case someone else gets tripped up by it. I had 'Software Rendering' on in Project Settings. I changed that to CUDA and it's all very good. Sorry for the bother.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

im having the same problem. i have it set to my cudas. and using a 3060TI why wont it go away?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jumping in late on a long thread with almost no information ... makes it very difficult to help you.

If you haven't already, post a brand new thread on this with your complete specs and detailed problem.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Me too.

I've been working on a VR timeline and recently got the "requires GPU Acceleration" too. I have been working on this project for about a week without the error message, and it suddenly popped up today. As recommended earlier in this thread I chaged the playback engine to software only. The error cleared up in one shot of the sequence but remained in the rest of the shots (screenshots attached). I have since changed playback engine back to GPU Acceleration Metal and one shot remains clean with the banner in the rest of the shots.

My Mac specs are below (2013 MacPro--maybe antiquity has something to do with it?).

Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 8.57.57 PM.png

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines