Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

'This effect requires GPU acceleration'

Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2018 Jul 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HELP!

I have Premiere Pro in Creative Cloud on my iMac running High Sierra 10.13.6 and it's all legit software for everything. However I have a beast of a problem which is driving me mental which is when I see a prompt saying 'This effect requires GPU acceleration'. I cannot do this at all and spent over a whole day trying to fix this to no avail - is there a solution to this? If so, can it please be explained to me in workmanlike terms, because I feel like Premiere Pro is not worth using with me being unable to fix this.

A million thanks in advance if any one of you kind people could assist in a solution!

Ed

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 29, 2018 Jul 29, 2018

TLDR:

Try the following: Drag the VR effect to the bottom of the effects "stack" in the Effect Controls panel. Another option is nesting it and adding the VR effect to the clip.

Why does this occur? If you are receiving this "red banner" error, you have a CPU-based effect later in the order of the effects than a GPU-accelerated "VR" effect (in the stack of effects in the Effect Controls panel); the accelerated effect will be rendered on the CPU instead (and an error will be triggered in the fo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to add that this all occurred right after I got a media cache message.:

Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 9.13.24 PM.png

I changed the media cache to a 4 TB drive with only 40 gig on the drive, but I still get this message when I launch Premiere.

Could this have something to do with the GPU error message?

Thanks, Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the message you would get if Premiere didn't have permission to write to that folder. Which is odd, but ... it's something to check.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

im having this probleem with a brand new Macbook Pro M1 chip the render is on Metal and i have tried the other two options but the GPU acceleration still appears any help appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@morgan5DDA  You placed a non-accelerated effect on top of VR-something. Hence the message. Just change the order of effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Morgan,

Avoid using VR effects on standard footage or you are asking for trouble. 

Edit: I learned that it is fine to use these effects on standard footage. My apologies.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2023 Jun 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell me how to avoid VR effects since Adobe is deleting obsolete effects... it's nonsense.

None of the solutions presented here worked for me (Macbook pro 2021 M1 16gb) But I kept digging and found out  what caused a problem in my clip. I had couple of layers on the timeline and one of them was just .PNG with a logo of the client placed is upper right corner of ta whole video. I just toggled track visibility to "off" and it worked. This is so absurd that I can't even imagine... 😕 I wasted whole day to find a solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 10, 2023 Jun 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which Obsolete effects are you still wanting to use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2023 Jun 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In general I don't I miss the obsolete effects but I was only reffering to situation that Adobe withdraws from old tools and replacing them with new ones that causes errors and users frustration 😄 . And it looks like it lasts about 2 years (since Apple M1 processors were released).

I bought my first Mac ever 2 weeks ago - I wanted to continue my already started projects and i met problems I didn't expected to have. Unfortunatelly I see that many slutions works only for Windows / CUDA users i.e. on mac I can't change renderer from Metal to sth else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 11, 2023 Jun 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most of the "obsolete" tools were set to that status for a reason. Typically the math was less than stellar in modern terms or with modern media. Some of the color ones were tested by colorists years ago, and found to be bad for your pixels.

That's part of why I was asking. And yes, a few of the obsolete ones were pretty handy for certain things. Which leads to the other reason, sorting out specific things that we users could really use still.

So I'd love specific posts on what of the obsolete effects you want and cannot find a current proper replacement for. For me, dumping nearly all the 'grain' options is very frustrating.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines