Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

'This effect requires GPU acceleration'

Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2018 Jul 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HELP!

I have Premiere Pro in Creative Cloud on my iMac running High Sierra 10.13.6 and it's all legit software for everything. However I have a beast of a problem which is driving me mental which is when I see a prompt saying 'This effect requires GPU acceleration'. I cannot do this at all and spent over a whole day trying to fix this to no avail - is there a solution to this? If so, can it please be explained to me in workmanlike terms, because I feel like Premiere Pro is not worth using with me being unable to fix this.

A million thanks in advance if any one of you kind people could assist in a solution!

Ed

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 29, 2018 Jul 29, 2018

TLDR:

Try the following: Drag the VR effect to the bottom of the effects "stack" in the Effect Controls panel. Another option is nesting it and adding the VR effect to the clip.

Why does this occur? If you are receiving this "red banner" error, you have a CPU-based effect later in the order of the effects than a GPU-accelerated "VR" effect (in the stack of effects in the Effect Controls panel); the accelerated effect will be rendered on the CPU instead (and an error will be triggered in the fo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may also be that you are using an odd media format - for example I have the problem on Quicktime 32 media converted to MPEG4 by MPEG Streamclip. I would have loved to convert that QT32 in a better programme like Media Encoder but the geniuses at Adobe have disabled the import for that format after Version 12.1 and now don't make version 12.0 available. Hello Adobe  - NO ONE CARES IF IT IS NOT SUPPORTED - ONLY IF THEY CAN GET IT TO WORK!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resolve lookin better and better every day...   I get this message on my $10k with a great video card and GPU acceleration turned on.  Extremely frustrating how little resources Premiere utilizes.  This isn't a hardware issue,  it's a software issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using a VR effect on non-VR media? If so, yea, you get that message ... because the effect is not designed for that media.

If you're getting this message on 'regular' media, what's the media and effects?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2024 Feb 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have found that if you render in Premiere and then export directly from Premiere (not using Media Encoder, and selecting the "Use Previews" checkbox) you can get the VR effects to render and export without the red banner warning that otherwise pops up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2018 Oct 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I eventually found my solution that I hadn't found anywhere else through process of elimination because I was getting the problem on some sequences not others - the clip effect with the red band was under an adjustment layer with Misfire Vignette on it. Put the clip above the adjustment layer the problem went away! Guess it's a bug of some sort involving two intensive effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes the layer/stack order is very important in processing under the hood. As in, you can do X or you can do Y, but to do both, you have to do X first then ​nest​ the clip then you can do Y. That sort of thing.

Multiple hefty effects on a clip of course can always become a problem child when you least can afford it. So ... learning the ins & outs of the app is useful to keep work flowing and the internal user temperature down to only ... ​slightly​ ... elevated ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I experienced a similar thing in After Effects. I used VR Glitch for instance on a clip in the main timeline. And crashed every time during export. But when I put it in a composition it worked. So there are a few bugs here and there in Premiere/AE which is worth trying to work your way around before investing in more expensive equipment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2019 Jan 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a GeForce GT 525M and I am getting the error as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 26, 2019 Jan 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 500 series are no longer supported  ... nor used ... by the 13.x Pr or equivalent Ae.

Some of the 700 series cards can be updated with drivers but nothing earlier.

Look up the system and GPU FAQs available through links in the top of the Overview page of this forum.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome, thank you for the info.  I also have a Wacom tablet that seems to be running Intel Iris 6100  it also gives the error.

I'm looking to build a new machine, selling my laptop for a desktop.  Feel free to make any graphics card recommendations!

I was looking at the:  Nvidia RTX 2060 at $350 and it seems like a decent deal. 

I would have to get a new motherboard, processor and ram... looks like its time to upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, will be soon for me also.

Go to the Overview page of this forum, the there's a lin to the Hardware forum. Look through there. Sadly Bill Gehrke's stopped posting around his mountain of real time test results of different gear running the same project.

But especially look for comments by Safeharbor11 (works for Safeharbor Computing) and ... dang, forget the forum name! ... there's another guy who works for Puget Systems. Those two firms are some of the best at building video/audio post processing workstations even to installing any f the apps from the Adobe side, Davinci Resolve, Avid, you name it.

Check those two company's websites they're loaded with information.

Many CPUs do NOT work well for video post and the base specs of cores/speed/cost don't help much. Some very spendy "massive" CPUs are only middling with video post,soe medium priced ones do very well.

Same with mobos  ... many do not have good internal routing of lanes for the number and resource-demanding load of the cards we need installed for GPUs, external monitor boxes, extra drives, that sort of stuff.

And ... up to 10 cores is better, more cores not as much, and cores as close to or above 4Ghz as possible. Assisted by as close to 10GB RAM per core as possible.

That's a general suggestion.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2019 Apr 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are my iMac Pro specs, still getting this error. Project is set to OpenCL and I attempted Metal as well, no luck.

Model Name: iMac Pro

Model Identifier: iMacPro1,1

Processor Name: Intel Xeon W

Processor Speed: 3.2 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 8

L2 Cache (per Core): 1 MB

L3 Cache: 11 MB

Memory: 32 GB

Chipset Model: Radeon Pro Vega 64

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 16 GB

So basically, not buying the "your GPU isn't powerful enough for GPU accelerated effects." I would appreciate a different answer than that one.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2019 Oct 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Likewise not buying the Adobe answer. I have a MacPro that was happily rendering all my effects on this project, and has suddenly started giving this error instead. I didn't change the GPU or the effects, so what gives?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 10, 2019 Oct 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aaron,

What GPU are you using? What version of Premiere in number-dot-number as in 13.1.5 ... ? What GPU driver?

And what OS?

Reply using the blue button at the top of the page or this silly new forum nests the reply making it harder to find.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 25, 2019 Dec 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Mr Haugen,
I have similar problem, when are used some of effects, I see "This effect requires GPU Acceleration" error,
I have AMD Radeon HD 7400M series graphic card, and HP EliteBook 8460p laptop, what can I do?
Thanks you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 26, 2019 Dec 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That graphic card was launched in Q2/2014. It's over five years old, which in computer terms (especially in laptops) is ancient history. And that card just can't cut it. That CPU is even older in launch date.

I don't see any way to get that rig past the needs of current Premiere Pro requirements. Sorry, but ... it's older gear. I've had computers in my business since the late 1980's. I don't know how many generations we've been through. And I need another new desktop myself. My 6-core/32GB of RAM rig with a GTX1060 isn't able to handle some of my regular workload as easily as I need.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2019 Dec 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks you for taking your time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2019 Oct 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone, I am running into an off shoot issue here. I have the same effect three times in my timeline, but only the third one is marked with a needing GPU acceleration burn in. 

I do not have a CUDA option.

I need to know why only one is not working properly. 

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume either my Titan X? Or is there a particular reason why is not working with AE?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Misis,

Not enough information in your post to say anything ... please give a bit more information on what is happening and what your system and GPU drivers are ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 27, 2020 Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's my stats and I'm seeing this same warning...

AMD Radeon R9 M395:

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon R9 M395

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 2048 MB

Vendor: AMD (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x6920

Revision ID: 0x0001

ROM Revision: 113-C905AA-799

VBIOS Version: 113-C905A1-007

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.799

Metal: Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily2 v1

Displays:

iMac:

Display Type: Built-In Retina LCD

Resolution: 5120 x 2880 Retina

Framebuffer Depth: 30-Bit Color (ARGB2101010)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Automatically Adjust Brightness: No

Am I screwed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2020 Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All my settings were correct except in the Media Encoder. Once I changed my settings to GPU Acceleration in there, it solved the problem for me. So everything was fine in Premiere but not in Media Encoder. All good now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 1080ti and have selected CUDA in the project settings, yet I'm still getting this... any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rzz38,

What driver are you running for that 1080TI? And what effect gets this response?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2020 May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this issue. I am on Windows 10, have a 2080ti , CUDA is on, but am unable to apply the Warp Stabilizer effect (or any accelerated effect, for that matter). I also updated the drivers to the most recent version with no change in result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines