• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Time Remapping (Speed Ramp) and Lumetri Color (WB/AE control) is not synced.

Engaged ,
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I have the speed control active on the same movie even blade clipped w/ or w/o, the Lumetri Color keyframing even at 100% speed throughout but speed ramped earlier in the video, the video and Lumetri Color are not synced.  It's super broken somewhere but it's not synced!!!!!!!!! Making it impossible to color grade.  Say you keyframe the lumetri color in a speed ramped video,  the place at where you want the adjustments do not adjust and adjust Later in the video given the speed ramp was slowing things down earlier.  Basically you are then trying to adjust for the some time in the future of where you are now making it crazy w/ test and tuning rather than being a direct precision time update.

I have the latest Nvidia studio drivers on a 2080 Ti.  Latest Windows 10 drivers and bios, it's not my PC.

I assume this is heavily overlooked as people who do even speed ramp and other things prefer AE but the blade cutting isn't as simple direct as Premiere making it difficult to mind flow due to the user technical hurdling.

I'm trying to satisfy balance the blacks and shadows because I didn't WB/AE lock.  If the video has no speed time ramps, you can fix this by adjusting the keyframing of the Lumetri color so it doesn't go super bright to dark or dark to super bright.  It stays nearly balanced.  When you have speed ramps in the video, the sync is non-existent and it's like the lips and the audio do not match.

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got exactly the same issue. Has anybody solved this? It makes it impossible to use time remapping because you can see the different gradings from far.

Also, another thing that I couldn't do was to add a decrease speed ramp at the end to merge the fast/slow footage smoother 🤔  

What's happening? These are very basic features. I work from a Macbook Pro intel i7. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When applying multiple complex effects ... and both Lumetri and ramps fill the bill ... it is best to do one of two things.

First, 'nest' after say Lumetri, then ramp, or the other way around.

Second, do one, perhaps Lumetri. Do a full render & replace to bake that in. Then do the ramp work.

These will probably work fine. It's simply the practical way stuff gets done.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2023 Mar 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Neil, I'll try as you say.

I kind of sorted it out by cropping the speeded line and adjusting Lumetri in each of the crops. It was a long video in which exposure changed during the filming and, once I speeded it up, any of the Lumetri effect controls worked to adjust the exposure variation.

A thing that I couldn't solve was making the decreasing speed ramp work at the end of the speeded section. I tried without using Lumetri or any other effect and it still doesn't work. Any hints on this? Thanks for your support 👍🏼 It's very much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 01, 2023 Mar 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Speed ramping is a particularly intriguing process all by itself. I don't do it nearly as much as many others do, and so every time I'm having to remember how to do it.

It's particularly difficult to nail getting say a gradual to fast speedup that comes to a sudden 'freeze' correct.

And there are better people around like @Warren Heaton or others for advice on this technique.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 02, 2023 Mar 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Bros in Mktg @R Neil Haugen 

I'm not sure I would combine correcting exposure via Lumetri over time with Time Remapping.  I'd correct the exposure in real-time, render and replace that, and then do the Time Remapping.  Hopefully, the source footage is a mezzanine CODEC that won't take a compression generation hit.

I've found combining Time Remapping with keyframed adjustments for any other Effect parameter to be too challenging due to how the time change affects the clip.  When we'll see a given frame at a given time isn't easily determined by the user interface and isn't necessarily easy to determine in the Program panel.

I often create a duplicate clip with a timecode window burn and replace the original with it, making it easier time remap as well as to keyframe other properties (or sync anything) with the clip.  While this should work fine with a proxy, I often replace the full-resolution footage instead.  When it's time to export a full-resolution edited file, I'll replace the timecode window burn clip with the original.  I take the same approach with Time Remapping in After Effects as well.  (Quick plug for After Effects:  It's included Timewarp for a while now. This used to be an expensive, but excellent, third-party plugin called Khronos for time remapping that's now included.)

As far as speed ramps go, the Speed Line on the Clip Boundary (revealed by the fx Badge in the Timeline) needs to be flat for frames that should play at a consistent speed (be that 100% or something else).  Also, I find it helpful to have a gap to the right of the Clip Boundary that gets closed once the desired speed change is achieved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the detailed reply!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for taking the time Warren 👍🏼 A very clear explanation. Good idea to render first and import it back to the timeline. I'll try duplicating the clip with a timecode window burn.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines