• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Timeline glitches when adding new media source?

New Here ,
May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I rely heavily on Premiere Pro for creating YouTube videos + completing University work which has been hard to do over the last 2 months with this glitch. (I've asked 12 professional editors who also use Premiere Pro, and no one has been able to find a solution)

I discovered this issue when editing a video as I went to add a new source of background music. Already by this point, 8 media sources were already added to the project bin (by media sources I mean videos, images, music / sound effects etc). When I went to add a new source, the timeline freezes and I am unable to see where I am in the project or select any of the clips. The rest of Premiere Pro functions normally. I removed the new source from the project bin and instantaneously, the timeline was fully functioning again.

• To me, this sounded like a cache issue. I've tried resetting the cache / preferences on multiple occasions and I am still unable to add more than 8 media sources.

• My peers said it sounded like a RAM problem, but my PC has 16GB of RAM which was never an issue for Premiere Pro before.

• I have tried reverting to previous versions of Premiere Pro, but the timeline still crashes after adding more than 8 media sources.

• It does not matter which type of media sources I add, if there's more than 8, the timeline will glitch. (I created new projects where I'd just add 9 JPEGS and it would still glitch instantaneously after adding the 9th image)

I was previously able to fix this issue temporarily, but once again I am experiencing the same problem. The way it was temporarily fixed before was by restoring down the application. I was able to add more than 8 media sources, though as a result I'd have to edit using a smaller window.

This then indicated that my GPU was at fault (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2090). I installed NVIDIA's GeForce Drivers application which then allowed me to edit on Premiere Pro fullscreen for a day. However, once again, the timeline glitches once I add a 9th media source.

This time, however, minimising the program + updating drivers has not fixed the issue.

This is as far as I've got with trying to fix it. If anyone knows anything else I can try, I would be beyond grateful. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-9750
RAM: 16GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060

TOPICS
Crash , Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Try resetting the Workspaces:
Reset a workspace
Reset the current workspace to return to its original, saved layout of panels.
1. Do one of the following:
• Click the Workspace menu icon and select Reset to Saved Layout.
• Choose Window > Workspace > Reset to Saved Layout.
from here:
https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/workspaces.html

If that doesn't work, try Preferences > Audio Hardware and set Input to None.

If that doesn’t work, try updating or rolling back your graphics driver directly from t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting the Workspaces:
Reset a workspace
Reset the current workspace to return to its original, saved layout of panels.
1. Do one of the following:
• Click the Workspace menu icon and select Reset to Saved Layout.
• Choose Window > Workspace > Reset to Saved Layout.
from here:
https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/workspaces.html

If that doesn't work, try Preferences > Audio Hardware and set Input to None.

If that doesn’t work, try updating or rolling back your graphics driver directly from the video card manufacturer’s site. If NVIDIA, do a clean install of the latest Studio Driver (NOT the Game Driver)

If that doesn't work, try creating a new project and import the old one into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2024 Jan 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, this worked for me : )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried to build your project by first organising it in Adobe Prelude?

Then taking your rough cut to Premiere once you have ingested & assembled a timeline in Prelude.

Your problem is pretty unique. I look after 50 edit suites at a UK University, so have come across all sorts of problems before, but not that. Please keep us updated with you problem, we like a good puzzle.

You could also try another editing package like Davinci Resolve 17 Free version.

Adobe is the most use to learn so don't give up on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same exact issue.

The only work around I was able to find, is by using other work spaces.

Avoid the editing work space since it seems like it is bugged out.

Resetting the the work space does not work and changing the audio hardware input to none does not help.

I think this is a bug.

I've also tried creating a new project after resetting all of my settings and the same issue still persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines