• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Timeline is not responsive to keyboard and mouse in 2017.1.2

Engaged ,
Aug 15, 2017 Aug 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reported this bug 2 weeks ago, but it's so severe, I am also posting on the forum for help.

I made a video, which explains this bug far better than words alone:

Premiere 2017.1.2 BUG - Timeline is ignoring keyboard and mouse input - [Public version] - YouTube

You can see exactly which commands are not being recognized at any given moment, if you watch the live keystroke visualizer in the bottom right. I programmed that explicitly for the purposes of Premiere tutorials, and "bug hunting," as I call it.

From the video description:

This is a very serious bug, where Premiere simply does not respond to some commands, while the video is playing... and sometimes even if the video is NOT playing.

This bug can vary in severity. For some projects, Premiere becomes nearly unusable, with hardly any keyboard or mouse input getting though.

THE SOLUTION (which I found later) is to switch to another program, and then switch back to Premiere. (I now have a macro that will do this as quickly as possible.) Then, Premiere becomes responsive to the keyboard and mouse again. However, it will soon become unresponsive again, sometimes on the very next keystroke. So this is definitely not a complete solution.

This was NOT a problem in 2017.0.2... and I deliberately waited several months before upgrading to 2017.1.2, in order to avoid the smorgasbord of bugs that are common in new releases of Premiere. Unfortunately, this bug persists.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not something I'm seeing, or is getting a lot of 'reporting' on here. But I've seen such behavior discussed here on occasion, and it would certainly be irritating as all get out ... would make just getting work done very difficult.

So to start troubleshooting, some info is quite useful ... especially for this sort of thing.

OS/CPU/RAM/GPU/vRAM, and the type & number of drives you're using. The type & nature of the media used, and any effects involved, including any 3rd party apps or plugins/effects that have been used.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My PC is top of the line.

Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit

Intel Core i7-6950X CPU @ 3.00GHz  3.00GHz

64.0 GB RAM

RED Rocket (software not installed properly yet. Also, this issue occurred before it was installed.)

Titan X (generation 9, I believe)

DirectX runtime version: 12.0

Nvidia driver version 382.05

Dedicated video memory: 12288 MB GDDR5

We store our footage on 24 TB of NVME SSDs in some flavor of RAID, with 10 gigabit connections. I can find out specifics, but I don't think it matters, since I tried disconnecting from the network and editing locally, and I had the exact same problem.

I am usually editing with 8K .R3D footage, in a 4K sequence, set to 1/4 resolution. No effects or transitions need to be present for this error to manifest.

However, I have the same issues with 1080p .mp4 files, on a 1080p sequence.

The only 3rd party plugins that I have installed are all the transitions from filmimpact .net. But none were present on the timeline.

What seems to make this problem worse, is a preponderance of clips... either on the timeline, or imported into the project. Also, the faster I play footage, (x2, x3) the more likely it is to occur.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply ... and now, time to pull in perhaps RameezKhan​ to check with the product support staff on this.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 28, 2017 Aug 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update on this? It continues to be "irritating as all get out," as you say.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 28, 2017 Aug 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't heard/seen anything ... Vidya Sagar​ ... ideas?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing I can recommend is to uncheck Maintain Pitch While Shuttling under Edit>Preferences>Audio.

It's kind of a buggy feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2018 Dec 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had and continue to have this problem on three different PCs.  What is the fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't something that anyone seems to be having  ... so ... which version of PrPro, and what's your system?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil,

The current PC has an i9-7960x running Windows 10, with 128G RAM and an NVIDIA Quadro P5000. The previous two PCs were i7-930, Windows 7, 12G RAM with two NVIDIA GeForce GTX 740, then one, then a GEX1050. I am currently running PPCC 13.0.1. I always run the current PPCC version.

For the current and old PCs, PPCC becomes non responsive only while the timeline is being played. Clicking the stop square, or space bar, or clicking a menu item does not stop it playing. Typically in the first few times the problem appeared, I could click a menu item and wait, and eventually the menu would pull down and that would stop the runaway. The delay in being able to get it to stop would eventually become longer and longer, before it never became responsive. When it reaches that point, I would have to force PPCC down. The rest of the PC remained responsive.

On the new PC, which I’ve been using for about a month, tonight is the first time the problem “really appeared”. When it runs away, it never returns control. Sometimes I can stop the runaway playing by clicking a different app in the tray, but starting the play head again is always a runaway. Eventually switching apps is not effective to stop the runaway playing. Clicking a PPCC menu item is typically non-functional, but when it is functional, the appearance of the pull down menu does not stop the playing, but if I open a second project, the playhead stops and control returns for a while.

Restarting the PC usually helps, but I have probably restarted seven or eight times tonight because of the problem.

The consistent across all the PCs has been the keyboard and mouse. It is a Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Wireless Desktop Keyboard and Mouse. I’ve started wondering if it is the keyboard and mouse, but when PPCC runs away, the keyboard and mouse are fully functional on other apps. I checked the drivers, and both keyboard and mouse drivers were dated 2006. I manually updated the keyboard driver updated to the 2018 driver, but the 2006 driver is apparently the current mouse driver.

Thanks for your help.

Miched

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 09, 2018 Dec 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same keyboard and mouse, and am not having any issues. Huh.

I know a guy posted here a month back or so that he had deduced that when his Asus mobo asked to install some drivers it also installed a gaming utility to assist with the audio experience in games, which anytime he ran PrPro became an active assistant shall we say. Really billowing playback.

It was something like Sonus something or other.

There were also some folks hit by Microsoft onedrive.dll a while back. But that seems to have been sorted. Still  you might check if removing onedrive.dll from your machine helps.

What other apos and utilities plus third party plugins can cause weird  ... stuff.

I'm assuming you've already trashed your preferences and dumped cache/media cache database folders.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@frog2 A decent workaround, until the issue gets fixed, is to always set in and out points, and always use "play in to out." You may even wish to remap your spacebar to that command. That way, there's a stopping point already built in, and it won't run away from you.

I have this issue less often now, but it still happens sometimes. It seems to me that Premiere REALLY should prioritize keyboard input, especially the "shuttle stop" command, over just about everything else. (kind of like how Windows prioritizes the ability to move the cursor, over everything else.)

This is kind of like designing a car with crappy brakes. AFAIK, brakes should always be more powerful than the engine. Only on a slow-moving vehicle with a ton of torque, like a tractor, is the opposite acceptable. (I may or may not have once driven a tractor with the parking brake still on, and not noticed at all. *cough.*)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I resemble that last statement!

lol

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. And it's not difficult, it's impossible to work. Tried many things, started from scratch a new project, nothing seems to work, I'm stuck.  I can't drag anything in my timeline, no keyboard on play or zoom. Only by new sequence from video I can drag something intro a timeline. My specs are great, up to date with everything, i9, 64gb, RTX2070 SUPER. The same that worked fine before the last update, this is not a hardware issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You for some reason popped in on an way outdated thread from several major versions ago. Whatever the bug was then is long gone, the current one is different. Stay with the new threads on this thing.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines