Highlighted

Timeline performance

Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I wanted to know what can improve timeline performance in Premiere Pro while using h264 4K footage. Is it CPU or GPU? Or a bit of both? Thanks.

My system:

AMD Ryzen 3700x

32GB (3200) memory

EVGA Nvidia GTX 1060 - 6GB

500GB NVME (OS drive)

1TB SSD drive (video)

Adeel,

Nice system unless you are working with H.264 4K. You really need an Intel CPU for H.264 centric editing.

Unlike Intel CPUs with QuickSync, AMD Ryzen CPUs cannot decode H.264 footage to increase performance for playback, so it is very non-performant. My advice is to ingest or trancode the footage to ProRes LT which is much more performant that that nasty H.264 4K nightmare footage. Glad you have a media drive, though. Once you've transcoded, you'll be ripping through that footage with that CPU. Have fun.

Kevin

Topics

Editing, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Timeline performance

Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I wanted to know what can improve timeline performance in Premiere Pro while using h264 4K footage. Is it CPU or GPU? Or a bit of both? Thanks.

My system:

AMD Ryzen 3700x

32GB (3200) memory

EVGA Nvidia GTX 1060 - 6GB

500GB NVME (OS drive)

1TB SSD drive (video)

Adeel,

Nice system unless you are working with H.264 4K. You really need an Intel CPU for H.264 centric editing.

Unlike Intel CPUs with QuickSync, AMD Ryzen CPUs cannot decode H.264 footage to increase performance for playback, so it is very non-performant. My advice is to ingest or trancode the footage to ProRes LT which is much more performant that that nasty H.264 4K nightmare footage. Glad you have a media drive, though. Once you've transcoded, you'll be ripping through that footage with that CPU. Have fun.

Kevin

Topics

Editing, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adeel,

Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for responding Kevin. Interesting...What if I replace my AMD 3700x processor with an Intel i7-9700k. Would I see a performance difference or would it be necessary for me to go for a higher intel processor? Thanks again.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Intel's Quick Sync does not have unlimited performance. A dual core and quad core CPU will get a huge performance boost unlike an 8 core CPU. Intel's Quick Sync will give a slight boost in performance for playback and rendering if you have an 8 core CPU. That being said the real benefit is the you are not using all your CPU cores at 80 or 90 percent so the CPU will stay much cooler and the fan will not have to spin at 100% if you play multiple layers of  4K h.264 at full resolution. The video link below might be of some interest. 

https://youtu.be/pE6t1ryanO4 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines