• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Timeline Playhead offset

New Here ,
Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm workin on a relativley new iMac with the latest version of Premier Pro. What is the blue extension to the right of the cursor Playhead arrow on the timeline (see top of attached photo)? It's presence creates an offset between the arrow and the actual insertion point, which, needless to say, slows down my editing because I have to correct for it each time I want to insert anything. This just started happening with the install of the latest version, though there is at least one other thread about this from earlier versions, which unfortunately remained unresolved, because the person was working in Windows.  I'm working on just the computer's screen with no second monitor attached. 

1343034_23167883_10211748777489557_4345762636189608850_n.jpg

Mod edit for searchability

TOPICS
Editing , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the actual frame you are working on, the frame indicator you are seeing in the monitor. You might need an updated driver or such cause the timeline indicator is not exactly on the cut as you can see.

MyerPj_0-1598470392861.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just talked with my IT person, who isn't really familiar with Premier Pro, but is otherwise very knowledgeable. My driver is up to date. I'm working on a later model iMac. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not a mac guy. Did you search the forums for other threads? I've seen this issue before. I don't remember if it is MAC specific. My guess if it is a PC is that you might have Windows Scaling not at 100%. If you have your OS set to something other the default, that could effect it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey! Did either of you ever figure out a way to fix this issue? It's been bugging me for a while now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it help to change the zoom level?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm with PeruBob ... to get that long of a frame indicator, you are zoomed WAY in. I can see that at times when cutting audio tracks, but for video, I've never needed that level of zoom-in. In fact, it's a pain in the patooshie as you just see so little sequence in the panel at any one moment.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil,

The problem with misunderstanding of the construction of the playhead causes a lot of grief when editors who are not aware of it frequently mark an Out point using the playhead as the guide. Zoom way in. If you snap to the Out point and Mark Out, then make a cut, you can see that you'll slice off an extra frame unknowingly. Whoops.

Some editors cut for years before realizing that. It's one of those lessons I gave my 101 students so that they could avoid this "smack my own head" error.

For me, I do actually use the playhead to guide an Out point all the time, I just move left one frame before tapping O. It's a maneuver you just get used to doing after awhile.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know! That seemed weird when I first started in Premiere all those years back, but after I finally understood what was happening, and more importantly why ... the way it works makes perfect sense.

The playhead/CTI is always at the beginning of the next frame ... never at the end of the last frame.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there no way to remove this offset?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not really an offset ... I don't know how else they could handle it. The playhead has to be consistent. It's always at the beginning of the frame it's placed at. Which means when it's "between" clips, it's essentially attached to the next clip.

Otherwise ... how would you know when it was atached to the previous clip or the next one?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's very annoying. I think in the past it was different, wasn't it?

I need to mark out without correcting the position every time.

How do you guys do it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's always been this way, there really isn't another way to do it. Again, how is is supposed to know which behavior you want right now?

What you would need to do is use the shortcut to "go to selected clip end" as that will take you to the last frame of the current clip. In the keyboard shortcuts dialog (Ctrl/Cmd-Alt-K) search for that short, and either see what keyboard shortcut is assigned or if there isn't one, make one.

It's one of those things high on the list for speed-you-up details that most editors should learn. Not that anyone really has that great of a list for such things ... sigh.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2021 Oct 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I found the solution. I was experiencing the same problem. I went to desktop - right click - screen adjustments - and restored the resolution and zoom to its original values (screen to native resolution  and  zoom 100%). Restarted my computer and voilá. Hope it works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your advice. Your trick helped ! You saved me from a lot of frustration 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines