• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Timeline/Sequence "snaps" playhead back to the start when switching between sequences.

Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2019 May 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro Version - 13.1.2

OS - Mac OSX 10.14.4

Mac Specs - iMac Pro (2017) -  3.2 GHz Intel Xeon W; 64GB DDR4 2666 MHz; Vega 64 GPU w/ 16gb VRAM

I am a big fan of the pancake timelines, so I am constantly moving footage between two or three sequences in any given project.

Ever since I've upgraded to the latest version, my workflow is constantly interrupted by the playhead "snapping", or simply moving, back to the start of the sequence when switching tabs or dragging footage to a different timeline. This is especially annoying when I am zoomed into a timeline for fine-tuning, then moves back to the start, effectively making me lose my place.

Is there any way to turn this off? I feel like this should be obvious, but I am having a hard time figuring this out.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 10, 2019 May 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi adambuchmedia,

Sorry to hear that you are facing an issue with playhead in sequences. I am not able to recreate the same behaviour in my machine. Are you using any custom workspace? If so, change it to any default workspace and see if it fixes the issue.

Are you seeing the same issue in all the projects? Please check with a new project.

Let us know the status after testing.

Thanks,

Vidya

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2019 May 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vidya,

I have had a custom workspace for a couple of years, and it just now started having this problem after the recent April 2019 update.

After reading your reply, I simply recreated my custom workspace, and the playhead issue no longer occurs.

Anyone who has this issue in the future, just update or create your workspace, and it will fix it.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2019 May 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vidya,

After a few days, the incriminating behavior has come back.

While going back to a different workspace did work in the short term, the "pancake" timeline layout still has issues with "snapping" when switching between tabs.

While the original solution does work temporarily, overall, this is a band-aid and not a proper fix. I need something that will allow me to switch between timelines effectively.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do a lot of pancake and don't have this issue. Trying to think ... there's an option somewhere I think that's something about returning to start of sequence.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil,

The shortcut is called "Go to Sequence-Clip Start" and is currently mapped as the "Home" key on my keyboard. I am not hitting this button accidentally when switching between sequences. I have already looked into this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Preferences/Timeline section, there is an option to "at playback end ... " return to start. If it "thought" you were playing back, that would trip.

Try de-selecting that option.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the suggestion, but the behavior still occurs after de-selecting this option.

I appreciate your help. Is there anything else you suggest?

Just for the record, I have also uninstalled and re-installed all creative cloud applications, as well as running CC Cleaner, but this does not work either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm pretty much out of it here. I can't replicate, and don't know any other preferences/options that would do this. And yea, that would be pretty frustrating.

Meg The Dog​ or Peru Bob​ ... any ideas here?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if resetting the workspace would change that?

Does it happen on all workspaces?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2019 May 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peru Bob,

Thanks for the reply. Resetting does fix the issue, for now.

However, I will go ahead and assume this is also a band-aid to the bigger issue. I will report back if the issue comes back. The original fix only lasted a few days until it came back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2019 Oct 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm having this same issue on Windows in Premiere 13.1.5

Did you ever end up finding a permanent solution to this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have had something very similar and just found a solution. What seemed to be random for me when editing then hitting play (SPACE) it would snap back to the start of the timeline and start playing, as you say essentially losing my spot. 

It was a short cut called "Play In to Out with Preroll/Post Roll" this was set as SHIFT+SPACE. What was happening with me is I use SHIFT to manually snap when required. I was never really hit SHIFT+SPACE. However I think sometimes the program would still think I had shift down when I snapped something then hit play quickly. Like a bit of lag or something. 

Since just deleting or changing the short cut from that action in keyboard short cuts this has solved my problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines