• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Timeline sequencer?

New Here ,
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I'm new to the software so i'm sorry if this comes across as a newbie question...I'm trying to do a collage (reminiscent of the works of video-artist Martin Arnold), and i was wondering if the app has something similar to a timeline sequencer, i mean, the ability to create a sequence of timestamps that the program would be able to reproduce in a given order (for example, play from 5:30 to 5:41, then play 6:32 to 6:35, and so on) is it possible? Or do you know any other way this would be possible? Otherwise it would be a pretty daunting task to cut and paste so many fragments 😞

TOPICS
How to , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may be grossly misunderstanding this but:

"for example, play from 5:30 to 5:41, then play 6:32 to 6:35, and so on"

This represents what editing is at the most basic level, and involves something called three point editing, which involves setting in and out points. If you have a source clip that you first want to play from it's own 5:30 to 5:41, you would mark an IN POINT in that source media at 5:30 (using the clip's timecode), and an OUT POINT at 5:41, and then add that to your timeline as your first clip. Then you would make a new in/out range from 6:32 to 6:35, and add that to your timeline as your second clip, and so forth.

Like I said, I apologize if I'm misunderstanding what you're asking, but I think you're just talking about setting in and out points on source media, and adding them to your timeline. This is what editing is at its core, so to say it can be done is an understatement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi  Zeracosaitam

If all you need to do is create a playback 'playlist' as such, from a single clip, then Premiere Pro is probably not the right software for the job... its more intended for the original creative act of assembling assorted clip fragments to create a whole (sequence), which would normally be a manual/creative/interactive process. Its not daunting, its called editing.

That said, if you really do just want or need to assemble something from a predeterined list of ins and outs, then I beleive Premiere supports importing an EDL (Edit Decision List). Might be worth investigating.

Cheers

Andy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey thanks for your answers! EDL's were pretty close to what i wanted, i don't understand much yet, though...now reading my question again i realize how obvious it sounded hahaha maybe if i explain what i want to achieve it will be more clear:

*i have a video

*i cut the video into X fragments

*i create a list of sucessions of those fragments, allowing repetition (for example, clip 1 then clip 4 the clip 1 then clip 5 and so on)

*i hit a magic button and that playlist now transforms into the finished video i'm looking for hahaha

What I wanted to know is if there is a way to skip the assembly part, because  my creative process already was realized in the definition of that list (a list that now contains more than 600 steps), that's why i used the word "daunting"

Again, thank you for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok so it sounds like you're looking to automate the edit based on your "selection" of clips.

Premiere does offer a simple Automate to Sequence function, but it does require that each scene/shot be its own unique clip or subclip. If you only have one actual souce footage clip in your project, you will need to create subsclips. The good news is you can actually create subclips from clip instances you already created on your timeline by doing one of two things:

• Ctrl-drag (Windows) or Command-drag (Mac OS) a clip instance from a sequence into an open bin in a Project panel. Type a name for the subclip, and click OK.

• Right-click a clip instance in a sequence, and select Make Subclip. Type a name for the subclip, and click OK.

I am not sure if you can batch create subclips by selecting ALL of your timeline clip instances and doing one of the methods above, but if you can that would speed things up. If not you'd have to rinse and repeat for each clip instance.

Then you would create a new sequence and use Automate to Sequence to determine:

• What order to use the clips in (the order the clips are sorted by, or the order in which you selected them)
  • The duration of each clip (uniform number of frames, or in/out range of each clip individually)
  • If transitions are used, etc.

For the sake of making the order easy, you might wish to ensure that the subclip names are numbered in a manner that reflects the order you want the edit to be.

This goes over rough cuts / automate to sequence: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/how-to/storyboard-edits.html#

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines