Exit

Timeline WONT STOP playing ?!?!?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2017 Apr 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While editing, the playback won't stop.

That is right, you read correctly, 
I hit play, and then cannot stop it.Keyboard no longer gets any result from any keys in Premiere.

Mouse moves fine, but nothing responds to clicks.

It plays as long as it wants, at least seven minutes, sometimes an hour.

When it stops it does whatever key clicks I entered, during its time as a runaway.

It will save, or open panels, or make markers,   whatever keys I had pressed.

I was using wireless.  Now I am using the second of two WIRED keyboards and a wired mouse.

Still same problem.
Impossible to edit like this.

This just happened now, while perfecting a three camera edit in Multicam.

I had just tweaked an edit point with the rolling edit tool in the middle of a 90 minute timeline.

Restarting the program, or rebooting makes no difference.

CC 2017  with Windows 7.

But I have experienced this with many earlier versions of PP.

This has happened in projects that are newly started as well as older projects. 

ANY IDEAS ?  This is something that is hard to search for due to being similar words as other problems.

Please, can anyone help me ?

not sure what tags to use on this post - its not about playback, its about NOT STOPPING playback

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Jan 29, 2023 Jan 29, 2023

One fix could be related to NVIDIA drivers. Please install the 528.49 studio driver and let us know how it goes with 23.2. Any other driver, especially game ready drivers can cause unexpected behavior. Furthermore, take note of the GeForce Experience. Do not run it concurrently with Premiere Pro. NVIDIA drivers have been faulty for a couple of months now and have caused multicam editors a lot of problems. Check it out.

@ShaunK321 has also found a potential solution for those running 23.1 and A

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Hello,

I am so sorry that some of you are still experiencing this bug in current versions. I appreciate everyone that wrote constructive posts and commentary. Unfortunately, the Premiere Pro team does not respond in this user-to-user forum, but they do read the Bug Reports and Ideas forums. Please address them there.

For action on this bug, please upvote and make further comments on this bug report. That would be the best thing we can do as a community. As a community manager here, I will also

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 154 Replies 154
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW  I am using 11.02 47 build.   cc 2017

I found this old post - I guess that is what I had done in the past, don't  remember.

https://forums.adobe.com/message/9454201?tstart=0#9454201

But it is a seriously frustrating situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nibbling Spirit,

I am sorry for the inconvenience. Please try the following steps:

1. Create a new project, import the old project file(.prproj) into new project & check the playback.

2. If the issue persists, if there are any custom workspaces, change the workspace & check the playback.

3. If the issue persists,
     Go to the following location in the machine

In Windows, C:\Users\UserName\Documents\Adobe\Premiere Pro\11.0 (Or)

Rename the 11.0 folder to Old_11.0

Launch Premiere Pro, Create a new project(do not open Old projects)

In Menu bar, Window > Workspace > Uncheck Import Workspace from Projects.

Open the old project & check the issue.

Please let us know the status of the issue.

Thanks,

Vidya.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 01, 2020 Jan 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it's 2020, Jan 1st, and it's still happening, same thing for years.
Every time, every day I work on a more intense project, and several times a day.
I won't even bother to do the above, I've done it before, it feels like it's fixed, then a cuple of hours later, or next day is back, same crap.

I've been on the phone with customer service, same crap, and no solution, just workarounds.

Mod note: Edited for content. Kindly file bugs here. Adobe devs usually are not reading this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the same problem!

I pay lots of money for Adobe's services and they can't even bother to update a bug that has been going on for years now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AMEN

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

June 2020 now (midyear) and it's happened SEVERAL TIMES to me NOW.

This is using a $12,000 workstation, a 64 Core Threadripper, 64GB Ram and a GTX 2080 Ti card. What gives? Why can't Adobe Premiere fix this??? IT'S BEEN THREE YEARS NOW!

No wonder people are migrating to DaVinci Resolve. Even AVID dosn't do this to its users. Honestly considering other options now.

No I will NOT turn off all my extra monitors to just use one Monitor. I bought them to edit on them!!! If Adobe Premiere can't handle that, I'll happily use a better editing program that can!

After Effects doesn't even have this problem! At least THEY got their — together!

Disappointed.

Mod note: Profanity removed.

Adobe - MORE THAN HAPPY to charge monthly, unwilling to fix ALL bugs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found a fix that has worked for me for a bit so far, figured I would relay the info here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzAz2HX5Omk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2022 Jun 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm jumping in here in case it helps. I have not read all 107 replies to this thread (so far) so someone else may have mentioned this, apologies if this is repeated info.

I get runaway playheads with some frequency, but it's always when I am working with high-bitrate h.264 files (usually from a GH5 but it has happened from several other sources too). When it occurs it's not super consistent, but just consistent enough to be REALLY frustrating. The fix for me has been to create ProRes proxies for the problem clips. As soon as I start using the proxies, everything frees up and it's like buter. The playhead works perfectly every time. It seems like Adobe doesn't like to give this advice -- perhaps because they really want the world to think their software can play all types of media equally -- but the truth is some codecs play nicer with Premiere than others. Intermediate codecs like ProRes or DNxHD will behave much better in terms of interface responsiveness and what needs to be rendered on the timeline, etc. than other codecs, h.264 in particular. So my advice (if you're not doing it already) is to get into the habit of transcoding proxies in the background at the start of every project so you're working with friednly codecs. Media Encoder does it in the BG and you can keep working while you do it, so it's not a huge time-suck, though it does require some extra drive space.

Hope this helps!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2020 Jul 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you serious? That's all the advice you have for this bug? I feel like you are abandoning your customers if its July 2020 and people been reporting this since last year. Unreliable, =( 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 12, 2020 Jul 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is ... fortunately or unfortunately ... a pretty rare bug. 12 posts over three years. Most from 2017. Things that are very rare are often difficult for engineers to replicate. What they can't replicate they can't fix.

I "hang" here a lot helping other users, and this is so rare I don't even know anything other than basic troubleshooting to suggest for it. I wish I had more help.

I might even suggest starting with the "nuclear option" ... go to the Adobe CC Cleaner Tool and run that utility.

I know the directions say to uninstall first, DON'T. Use the CC Cleaner Tool to do both the uninstallation of Premiere Pro and the removal of all it's various bits spread all over the computer.

Reboot, and reinstall a new version.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2020 Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I'll give a try. 😃

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I attempted the "nucler option" and it has gotten a little better. Thank you. If it was 11 out of 10 on the suck factor, its now 6 on the suck factor which just means it still sucks and make me work difficult and unrelaiable. A lot of my friends have been complaining about how poorly Adobe is performing and I am thinking many users may switch soon if this is not delt with in a swift manner. Swift as in they are already late so they may be losing users as I type this. If any developers are listening, fix this issue so I don't have to migrate to more relaiable editing software. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad your situation is improved to at least workable.

I would note ... Premiere was used by a majority of films at last year's Sundance, with Avid, Resolve, FCPx and all way behind. This was the largest plurality of users for one editing platform that I can recall. And the total user base seems to be expanding, not shrinking.

Is it perfect? No, of course not. Some pieces of gear in some combination with certain editing practices or whatever can have at times immense troubles. As will happen with all the other major NLE's also. I work with folks a lot who are near totally based in Resolve, some in Baselight or Avid. Those all have their troubles also.

In the end, these are all fancy hammers. A tool to get a job done, nothing more. Use the tool that works for you and your needs ... and as every editor or colorist I've ever heard or seen work does everything differently than any other, no one can tell you what you should use.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a polite way of saying, Adobe doesn't care about us or our technical difficulties. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a staffer here, of course. Just a user.

The Premiere team has fixed a ton of bugs and stability issues over the last year or so, so the statement they don't care seems rather ... weak.

Some things are caused within a user's system, and yea, I've had some of those also. Or other apps, or in one case, the Microsoft onedrive.dll file could ... on some systems ... cause massive havoc. So it isn't just their software, our issues can come from elsewhere.

And basic troubleshooting is still applicable.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 27, 2020 Dec 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil

um...unfortunately not "rare". My NY tv news station just switched from AVID to Premiere Pro and its IMPOSSIBLE to cue up sound bites on a dime like we did on AVID. It takes double the time to edit pkgs because of the difficulty in cueing things up. Its driving us all mad. Brand new sysyem...brand new projects, nothing to reboot because its all new. Definite software issue.

NS5666

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the same problem for a few years - whenever I'm editing in multicam, and usually if I've punched in on the timeline where the actual time (the numerals) shown at atop the timeline are at 2 second intervals. I've tried it all. Sadly, the nuclear option hasn't fixed it for me. I would guess that whatever we might think are "rare" bugs - because people aren't complaining about it - probably have a higher correlation with the lack of a fix, than an actual rarity. I know I don't ever bother asking a question for something that has already been posted, especially when there is no fix for it. 

System:
BaseBoard MPG X570 GAMING PLUS (MS-7C37)
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor 3.60 GHz
Radeon RX 6600
Installed RAM 128 GB
64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Windows 10,  Version 21H2
OS build 19044.1706
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4170.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having exactly the same issue in 2023 with the "latest" version of Premiere, alongside another "rare" recurring issue that's also been unresolved for years. I can imagine creating a monster of this size takes a big team, but I'm shocked at how poor the overall UX is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the timeline won't stop playing when you hit the spacebar or K keys ... there's a Bug posting on this forum under that subject, and you should find that and upvote it.

It's not a "common" thing as far as a high percentage of the several million daily users. But if it's hitting you, this is a nightmare for certain. And needs fixing.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2022 Feb 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ya. This issue is still happening. But only with 4k. Just unacceptable. I dont even want a solution. Im just hopeing Davinci matures where it needs to, then it's bye-bye to years of stupid bugs and money wasted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Though I haven't found a solution how to fix it in general, I've figured that my problem similar problem has been connected with a corrupted video I've imported. As soon as I deleted it out of the project, it worked again. Â¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you find the corrupt video!? I'm going mad here... Just tried the "nuclear option" but not luck! Help me please... wah.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had this same problem, very frustrating

My PC specs are:

Windows 10 Home (64 Bit)

Intel Core i5-9500F @3GHz

Asus Prime z390-A

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro RAM 16gb 3200MHz

Nvidia GTX 1050ti

Adobe Premiere Pro 2020

I am editing with 4K footage

Any help because this is really frustrating and I shouldn't expect this with an expensive product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2020 Feb 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same fenomenon here, as of last night and just a minute ago again, couple of times now in a row.

The only half solution, keep Esc pressed and sometimes it stops after 15-20 secs.
Sometimes only End Task helps.
It seems to be fine for an hour or two then it acts up.
I am doing a multi camera edit ( 3 cams) using proxies. Latest nvidia drivers, latest Adobe updates. All legit.

Mod note: Edited for content. Please make OT comments in the Video Lounge. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines