• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Titles don't work with GPU

Explorer ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Premiere Pro project has about 20 video tracks (it's a "virtual choir" thing, with each singer in a separate track). My Dell computer has an NVidia Quadro K2000 GPU. I downloaded the latest driver from the NVidia website yesterday.

I added a simple title using the "Basic title" template in the Essential Graphics view. Just a text layer, to which I added a semi-transparent rectangle layer to make the text stand out over the video in the underlying layers.

As soon as I added the graphics element, the video monitor went nuts. It takes forever to render the video at the cursor, and if I move the cursor it may (or may not) update the video. Or the monitor may just go black. If I select the graphics element in the timeline and start typing text into the text layer, the display of the text I'm working on flickers between what I'm typing and some older version of what that text was before I started editing it.

It doesn't matter whether or not there is a text element under the cursor (i.e. it doesn't matter whether or not the current frame has a title). The very presence of title text gives Premeiere Pro fits.

If I turn off the GPU (use software-only rendering) then everything goes back to working like it should.

TOPICS
Effects and Titles , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

As I said in the OP, I installed the latest drivers from the NVidia website.

As an interesting (but meaningless) aside, the first thing I tried was to right-click the device in the Windows 10 Device Manager and "update driver". To my surprise, it found a presumably newer driver and updated it. But when I ran Premiere, it complained that the driver wasn't compatible. I have no idea what Windows installed for me, but Adobe certainly didn't like it. After I downloaded and installed the latest drive

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you have the latest driver installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said in the OP, I installed the latest drivers from the NVidia website.

As an interesting (but meaningless) aside, the first thing I tried was to right-click the device in the Windows 10 Device Manager and "update driver". To my surprise, it found a presumably newer driver and updated it. But when I ran Premiere, it complained that the driver wasn't compatible. I have no idea what Windows installed for me, but Adobe certainly didn't like it. After I downloaded and installed the latest driver directly from the NVidia website, things actually got a little better... maybe... Premiere seemed a bit more stable using the GPU, but still not useable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

HA! I figured out what the problem is. And, yes, IT'S A BUG in both Premiere and Media Encoder.

Turns out that my Premiere Pro project included a couple of clips (a PNG and a JPG) whose dimensions were on the order of 4000 x 3000 pixels. Not rediculously larger than my 1920 x 1080 timeline, but apparently large enough to cause both Premiere and Media Encoder to choke when using my NVIDIA K2000 GPU.

I reduced both images (in Photoshop) so that their maximum dimension, in pixels, fits within 1920 x 1080, and now everything works correctly. No clue what the actual limits are for asset dimensions to avoid this problem. Neither do I have a clue if the limits are dependent on the GPU specs.

And, although the problem first became obvious to me when I was playing with titles, the underlying problem apparently has nothing to do with titles. On my system, titles are pretty pokey to begin with, and having the oversized assets in the project (in a layer beneath the title!) just made the title exercise totally unstable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines