Titles Dull and Soft on Export - Any suggestions? I've tried everything.

Participant ,
Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

I have a conundrum I can't fix. I'm working on two sequences - 1080p (1080x1920) & 1080p (1080x1080) on a series of short clips. I've made basic titles that look crisp in Premiere but when I export as H264 in either aspect ratio they look dulled and slightly soft. When I export a still frame, it looks fine, but as a movie, it looks crappy. The actual footage within the sequence are 720p videos from Zoom calls, but within a 1080 sequence. On export the video footage looks fine, it's the titles which are the problem.

I have tried so many different attempts at export I'm at my wits end. I cannot get the titles to export looking sharp. These are a number of the things I've tried:

Changing the Video Previews of the sequence to Quicktime, or i-Frame Mpeg.

Exporting Pro Res.

Exporting a PNG sequence of the title card (it has a still as background behind the text) then re-importing that and then exporting out again as the movie.

Exporting with Render at Maximum Depth, and using Maximum Render Quality, and Use Previews.

Exported with Multipass.

Exported with Constant Bit Rate.

Upped the Data Rate.

Changed the Video Previews to Maximum Bit Depth and Maximum Render Quality.

Rendered the sequence before exporting.

I remade the titles in Photoshop, then exported with alpha, put them in Premiere and exported the sequence and it still looked crappy.

I tried taking the drop shadow off the text in case it was something to do with that.

I've even tried changing the font but it exported similarly. I think that's everything. Has anyone got any other suggestions?

Thanks

Jack

TOPICS
Effects and Titles, Error or problem, Export, Formats, Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Titles Dull and Soft on Export - Any suggestions? I've tried everything.

Participant ,
Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

I have a conundrum I can't fix. I'm working on two sequences - 1080p (1080x1920) & 1080p (1080x1080) on a series of short clips. I've made basic titles that look crisp in Premiere but when I export as H264 in either aspect ratio they look dulled and slightly soft. When I export a still frame, it looks fine, but as a movie, it looks crappy. The actual footage within the sequence are 720p videos from Zoom calls, but within a 1080 sequence. On export the video footage looks fine, it's the titles which are the problem.

I have tried so many different attempts at export I'm at my wits end. I cannot get the titles to export looking sharp. These are a number of the things I've tried:

Changing the Video Previews of the sequence to Quicktime, or i-Frame Mpeg.

Exporting Pro Res.

Exporting a PNG sequence of the title card (it has a still as background behind the text) then re-importing that and then exporting out again as the movie.

Exporting with Render at Maximum Depth, and using Maximum Render Quality, and Use Previews.

Exported with Multipass.

Exported with Constant Bit Rate.

Upped the Data Rate.

Changed the Video Previews to Maximum Bit Depth and Maximum Render Quality.

Rendered the sequence before exporting.

I remade the titles in Photoshop, then exported with alpha, put them in Premiere and exported the sequence and it still looked crappy.

I tried taking the drop shadow off the text in case it was something to do with that.

I've even tried changing the font but it exported similarly. I think that's everything. Has anyone got any other suggestions?

Thanks

Jack

TOPICS
Effects and Titles, Error or problem, Export, Formats, Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 23, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

720p videos from Zoom calls, but within a 1080 sequence

That is your issue. Stick to 720p.

Scaling things up means image quality loss or try Red Giants Instant 4K upscaler.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 23, 2020 0
Participant ,
Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 

But why would the upscaled 720 have anything to do with the text quality issue? If the text is being made in a 1080 sequence it should be crisp and 1080.

Jack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 10, 2020 0
Averdahl LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jworms  You are right, titles you add in Premiere Pro in a 1080 timeline should look ok despite the upscale if you export to 1080 with a pixel aspect ratio of 1.0. Post a screen dump of your Export Settings.

Text on video can and will look bad if you use certain fonts and/or certain colors. Here is an old but still valid article that explains the issue. All the images are gone. Maybe the solution is there: Great Titles with the DV Codec

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 10, 2020 0