Good morning,

I have:

1 - 18 Core (i9) @3,10 Ghz

2 - Nvidia GeForce CTX 1080

3 - 32 Gb Ram

4 - SSD disk

I tried

1 - Enable GPU Previewing

2 - Media Cache to Different Drive (SSD)

3 - only running AE at the same time

and yet - it drops frame as I play back, task monitor shows that it uses 10 to 15 % of the CPU, Ram is also partially use.

It does not go much faster than my MAcbook pro 2015.

Any tips welcome, I hope this could help others with a similar issue.

Thanks for your help

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2019 Mar 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro is not yet optimized for more than 10 cores. CPU speed is more important.

What type of media?

Try using proxies:

Work offline using proxy media | 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 13, 2019 Mar 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Peru,

Thanks for your answer.

seem like that computer is an overkill, did not need that many CPUs.

I have made quick comparison with my mac in encoder.

The PC with 18 cores is much faster at ingesting and compressing my proxies.

Yes - I use Proxies - ProRes422 (I got in a habit to do that with my Mac Book) cuz he does not playback live with 120fps footage.

Thanks again for answering,

Jessie.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2019 Mar 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you only have 1 SSD where everything is stored, that's your problem and a major bottleneck.

You need to have OS + Software on the main SSD, Media and Projects a separate drive (Preferably a RAID0) and Cache + Export on a secondary SSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Chrisitian,

Thanks for the advice.

on both Macbook Pro (4cores i7) and PC (18 cores i9)

1 - I have software install on the Desktop SSD. (only OS + main software

2 - I have a USB3 SSD on which I save Footage + proxies and other assets (I tested the transfer speed, it copies at 400mb/s)

Hopefully it is sufficient.

On the PC the HDD copy at 200mb/s so the fact that it is external should not be the issue. (but maybe)

the point is that I take the project with me to work on my mac (when I am on the go) and on my PC when I am home.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jessie,

1 - I have software install on the Desktop SSD. (only OS + main software

What about the Cache? where is it stored? I think it helps if it is not stored on the main SSD.

2 - I have a USB3 SSD on which I save Footage + proxies and other assets (I tested the transfer speed, it copies at 400mb/s)

Hopefully it is sufficient.

I am not sure how you are getting these numbers, but I suggest you get Blackmagic's Disk speed test to know your writing and reading speeds of the drive. Nonetheless, assuming that it is 400 for both reading and writing, which seems logical for any SSD on a USB 3, Although it is enough to edit without major problems, you will still have some dropped frames on the playback for 10bit footage. And the same time, your 1080 GPU is not the best to seamlessly read those heavy files.

However, you should not be facing any problems with your proxies, if you are, please consider another settings for your proxies, or even create your own.

Lastly, your PC's performance is always measured by it's weakest link. In other words, it's only as powerful as the weakest component. In this case, your GPU and your storage configuration, not your CPU or RAM. To be more precise, Your CPU is 10/10, your GPU is a 7/10 and your storage configuration is a 6/10. that makes your PC a 6/10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 14, 2019 Mar 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Christian,

1 - Cache and Scratch is stored on the same SSD as the whole project. I will try to put Cache and Scratch on another one

2 - I tested Speeds with Blackmagic (it gave me close to 400mbs for the SSDs and 200mbs for HDDS and about 100 to my NAS, but I could connect it directly instead it would probably 200mbs as well)

3 - Thanks for the weak link explanation. I thought that the GPU was a good one, especially compared to the one in my Macbook pro 2015. It does however export and compress file much faster once I export.

Conclusion - I need to review my storage set up. The downside is that it is less portable. I only have 2 USB port on my laptop. So it would mean that I would do most of my editing on my PC and no longer on the MAC.

Thank you for taking the time to answer,

Really helpful,

Jessie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 12, 2019 Mar 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Can you share details about the project and media?

Are you working in 4k? Long GOP source media? 10bit?

You mentioned AE - Are you using Dynamic Link?  Is this where the slowdown occurs?

Any 3rd party effects or filters?

I would imagine that some formats play back fine on that computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Wes,

I usually use 4k footage and 1080p at 120fps 100m 10bit (from Sony A7Riii and S7s2)

AE = I use Dynamic Link (DL) a lot, cuz I love how much I can do within AE and bring it up automatically in Pr. that is really cool.

(that makes me think of another question, when I use DL I always must names them 2 times

1 - in premiere in my project panels

2 - in AE

the name does not seem to carry over. (just a detail but I was wondering)

I rarely use third party effects, I do however color grade, but only once I am finish with the project.

the slowdown occurs before.

I was hoping that a faster computer would help playback quicker, but I should also take in consideration that files format are more and more demanding to decode.

Thanks for your help,

Jessie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something I often recommend is a proper internal hard drive setup.  The following offers both excellent speed and organization.  It's a good starting point.

C: Windows & Programs only

D: Project files, audio files, stills

E: Cache & Scratch

F: Camera media and proxies only

G: Exports

C, D and E can be SSD's, but F and G will need the most room, so large terabyte HDD's are probably the better choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Jim,

your proposed set-up seem ideal, it would certainly be faster.

however:

1 - it would be harder to take with me to work on my MacBook when I am not home.

2 - I am afraid that dividing the project across different disk would be a problem with medi unlinked as I archive the project and work on it again months later as the client as for another video.

But from a pure performance point of view, your set-up seem ideal.

Thanks for taking time to answer,

Jessie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jessie,

Jim's suggestion is great, but heavy on the pocket. Also you can consider the following which is exactly what I do, to have great editing experience and staying mobile.

1- SSD for OS and Software

2- SSD for exports, cache and some personal files.

3- RAID0 HDD (WD black 2x 2tb) for Media and Projects.

4- External SSD for proxies. This way when you can grab the external and edit using proxies on your laptop on the go. I work with 2 fail proof systems: a) Set up a one way mirroring/sync that only constantly copies folder structure, projects and other assets like audio or graphics to the external WITHOUT the original media. Size of proxies is small to save on space. b) I also rely on Adobe'c CC folder to keep my projects synced between my PC and my laptop. This way, when I need to edit on the go, I just grab my external, plug it into my laptop and launch the project, PP will ask to locate files, I hit cancel (not offline) and it locates the proxies and everything else thus allowing me to work on the go. Project is already synced with my PC, use teamviewer to export and upload.

As for your GPU, it is a great GPU, don't get me wrong, but I wont be surprised if it drops some frames on heavy 10bit 4k.

If you need further explanation about my workflow, please let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it would be harder to take with me

That is true.  But I would argue that the prospect of doing this job on a laptop, while certainly possible, is so tremendously unpleasant that I would actually rather be late in delivery than do so.  Laptops don't have enough room for the recommended internal storage, have screens that are waaay too small, have crappy keyboards...it's just a wholly unpleasant experience.

To my thinking, a desktop is the only appropriate way to do this job.

On the plus side, it is possible to travel with desktops.  I've had to do it.  You just need a relatively stable place to set it up.  A hotel room for instance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I am afraid that dividing the project across different disk would be a problem with medi unlinked as I archive the project and work on it again months late

One of the benefits of my proposal is organization.

Everything you need to rebuild a project, except camera media, will go in a Project folder on the Project drive (D:).

If your drive is large enough, you can simply move that Project folder into an Archive folder on the same drive for easy retrieval.  You can also archive completed projects on an external.

Might even be wise to do both.

For camera media, I recommend a two step copy process at the beginning of a project.  Copy each media card first to an external for backup, then to the internal Media drive for working.

When the project is done, you can just delete the media from the internal as it's already backed up on the external.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines