Track Matte Anomaly

Participant ,
Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

What am I doing wrong!?

Here's a video I made to show my workflow

I've nested two tracks - one containing the white matte and the other being the footage

I apply the track matte as you see, but now I can't freely move the video underneath it without changing the paremeters of the mask.

What am I doing wrong? Help!

TOPICS
Editing , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

No its not an anomoly its just how it works. Not ideal but that is how it is. And its not a bug!

Only nest the mask and apply the track matte to the nest.

Open nest and adjust Motion.

afbeelding.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

screenshot.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No its not an anomoly its just how it works. Not ideal but that is how it is. And its not a bug!

Only nest the mask and apply the track matte to the nest.

Open nest and adjust Motion.

afbeelding.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much Ann. Am seeing requests to Adobe to make this simpler for the future... well, that was two years ago... so it's a slow burner for them at the moment it seems!

And thanks for the tip - I should have linked the video the way you suggested... it didn't work straight from dropbox URL (it seems to expect YouTube or Vimeo etc)  - but the video link is here: - https://www.dropbox.com/preview/Public/track%20matte%20anomoly.mp4

Don't think you have any download risk clicking on a web based mp4 link?

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its a known 'issue' with the track matte. It used to be different (for a short period) but then it created other problems.

Dont think fixing the Track Matte is high on the list of priorities with the PrPro team.

I would use the Ess Graphics.

Draw shape

Add clip to EGP

Mask with shape

Adjust position clip.

afbeelding.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spiketrain,

The video below demonstrates how to use track mattes. Premiere Pro has awesome track matte capabilites. You can maipulate the matte or the video. The video demonstrates that. There should be no need for nesting video tracks.

https://youtu.be/LiXEhP8TH7c

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Andy,

I watched the video and it had some interesting stuff... but actually it never addressed what I have been trying to do... I want to alter the size of the image behind the track matte without changing the size of the track matte itself.

The nesting thing does work - but it's a bit of a cumbersome work around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Oct 09, 2020 Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can do what you want with my method.  In your method you are moving the matte. You need to make adjusments to the matte and the actual video clip. One way works as a matte the other a PIP. Simply set your project up like I did and maniplualte both the matte and the video clip not just one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines