Participant ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

This one's stumped me a bit....

Track matte masks should be easy right?

Well watch this video and see me fail!

Anyone got a clue as to what I'm not doing properly?

Help!

Sx

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Here's the video I promised of the process - hopefully clear enough.

Any confusions from here for anyone... then do let me know, I've fallen in most of the pitfalls on this one by now surely! - so my learnings might be useful for someone else.

I include some of the background as to why I choose multicam. I have a friend that also does these videos - and he had not been using multicam, as a result, he had some colour grading and synching issues further down the line.... so I have no interest in t

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change the Composite mode to Luma ... see if that works.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 20, 2021 Mar 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip Neil!

Tried it... didn't work....

It's definately an alpha channel requirement here

And to be clear, I tried the PNG option on the video I made AFTER I'd already created a colour matte track above the image and masked it to the correct outline - so I make that two different ways of representing a shape with an alpha channel that the track matte mask should have adhered to...

So yeah... still stumped... and this isn't the first time I've been through this - the first time it happened I just gave up!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 20, 2021 Mar 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys!

I cracked it!

It's a pretty complicated process of course.

I'll do another video and show (those who care) how it's done.

In short... . IE spoiler before I do a video.... The reason I think it didn't work was because I'm using a multicam track which is a bit 'squiffy' sometimes with stuff like this. So the fix is to nest the track with something else... then to track matte that.

It's really exciting!..... if you're a bit of a geek like me that is. Not seen it done anywhere else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here's the video I promised of the process - hopefully clear enough.

Any confusions from here for anyone... then do let me know, I've fallen in most of the pitfalls on this one by now surely! - so my learnings might be useful for someone else.

I include some of the background as to why I choose multicam. I have a friend that also does these videos - and he had not been using multicam, as a result, he had some colour grading and synching issues further down the line.... so I have no interest in trying to manage multiple tracks on a timeline without first timing them up in multicam. The only problem I experienced is that, when you do this, track mattes don't work (amongst other anomolies). But by creating a multicam track in a nested sequence, you can overcome!

All the best!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines