• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Track select forward doesn't move markers?

Engaged ,
Oct 03, 2018 Oct 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm relatively new to Premiere and trying to insert a brief pause into the video. I used the razor tool to make a cut in the narration audio, and now I want to budge over everything to the right.

I thought I could do this with the track select forward tool, but it's not moving my section markers.

So, two questions:

1. What's the point of the track select forward tool if it doesn't move markers? Isn't it virtually useless? Or is it not recommended to use markers in our projects? I would find it very difficult to work on a large, complicated video without markers to let me see the overall structure at a glance.

2. Am I doing this wrong? Is there an easier way to budge everything over to the right? I'm just trying to create a gap in the narration, which I will later fill with a title (but I haven't started adding slides and titles yet).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 03, 2018 Oct 03, 2018

Track forward doesn't do it, but here are 2 methods that will.

Ripple insert and move sequence markers - how to do this?

If you don't have the title ready yet, just create a dummy placeholder clip.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Welcome to Adobe forums and thanks for using Adobe Premiere Pro.

I understand that you are trying to insert a gap in the sequence so that you can create a title later on to fill that gap. Is that correct?

I assume that you have created sequence markers instead of clip markers. Sequence markers would never move if you move the clips. I would create clip markers instead to get rid of this problem.

Select the clip and then press the M key to create clip markers. Now, you can move the markers along with the clips.

Using markers in the Premiere Pro timeline

Let us know if this helps.

Shivangi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Shivangi and thanks for your answer.

Creating clip markers would not help me. In my video, there are several major sections, and each of those sections contains several different video and audio clips, so it would be impossible to mark the sections of the video using clip markers.

I just want to be able to label the various parts of my video, for example "Introduction" and "Section 1" and "Conclusion" etc.

To me, it seems like an oversight that the sequence markers don't move with the clips when using "Track select forward" and I am going to send feedback to Adobe about this.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Track forward doesn't do it, but here are 2 methods that will.

Ripple insert and move sequence markers - how to do this?

If you don't have the title ready yet, just create a dummy placeholder clip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Stan. That is helpful.

I knew that "insert edits" moved the markers along, so I guess you could just insert a dummy clip. But this is still a workaround to a flaw with the program.

I have submitted feedback to Adobe, not only to have "track forward" affect markers, but also an overhaul to the markers system:

Sequence markers - several improvements – Adobe video & audio apps

Please would you take a look at my idea and vote it up if you like it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for chiming in, Stan.

Suicide, thank you for submitting your idea. As Stan mentioned, Track Select Forward Tool does not have that functionality. I have up-voted your idea.

Best,

Shivangi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you / dhanyavaad Shivangi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you may be misunderstanding the purpose of the timeline on the sequence.

Timeline markers provide a non varying temporal reference for the placement of clips. One if there main attractions is that they don't move when you adjust clips.

Timeline markers are used to provide easy to see "flags" on that timeline, in the same way a carpenter might put marks on ruler or notches in a workbench - these "flags" calling out that something needs to happed at that temporal location.

They exist independent of the clips that are placed in relation to them.

Clip markers, on the other hand, are used to call out locations within clips. They should move if the clip moves, or if the clip is slipped or slid.

But the Timeline markers should not move as they are released to the time of sequence.

That said, there are ways to move you timeline markers if you need to do so as pointed out by shivangi gupta

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 02, 2024 Feb 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I used timeline markers (up on the top) to signify which clips are tied to which timeline markers.  Now if I ripple delete the track with the clips that they are marked for.  But if I select all clips and want to move them farther down the right on the timeline the tracks all move but those pesky timeline markers do not.  There has to be an easy fix right?  Yeah, nothing is easy when it comes to PP.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2024 Feb 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is as the feature is called: ripple which is not the same as move.

Insert an asset to ripple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found this annoying as well, but I have a different work around and it's fine for most situations. I just create a piece of transparent video, name it what I want the "marker" to say and then label color it. Unfortunately the text is a little smaller than that of the real marker and obviously it doesn't show up in the marker window. But, it's a solution for some situations.

Nick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines