• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Transcode 23.976 fps to 25 fps or 25 fps to 23.976?

New Here ,
Jun 19, 2021 Jun 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I've filmed an event with two cameras and we've mistaken the PAL/NTSC settings. We have the following:

Camera 1: 23.976 fps (continous recording of 2 hours @ 200GB)

Camera 2: 25 fps (±250 short clips @ 600GB)

Audio recording (separate recording of full event): 48 kHz (2 hours)

We used Camera 1 for a continuous recording of the event. We'd like to synchronise the audio with Camera 1, and then overlay the short clips of Camera 2 as B Roll (while also syncing them to the audio). 

Should I transcode the 23.976 fps footage to 25 fps and work in a 25 fps timeline? or should I stranscode the 25 fps footage to 23.976 fps and work in a 23.976 timeline? And how should I do that? With Media Encoder?

Another curveball, given the footage is so large, I want to create proxies. I'm aware I should not mess with framerates after creating proxies. So, should I first transcode, and then create proxies? 

Your help is much appreciated!

TOPICS
Editing , Formats , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jun 20, 2021 Jun 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you change the interpret fps, it will change the duration of the video. you can conform the video into a different sequence fps and then right click pixel motion to optically change framerate.(or export time remapping optical flow in media encoder)

so it's up to you to change either the audio to match the video speed with interpret fps or use optical flow. 

and you're right, proxies don't work with change fps, so you could use high quality proxies as full offline mode if you wanted, that already had burned in optical flow. or keep interpret fps same and export optical flow on export.

just do a quick sync test and see what you like the best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

you have to decide what final output you are required to use, and set 

the same settings. If you intended to have your final output at 25fps,

work inside a 25fps sequence and export to the same settings. If you

have to use 23.976 (depends on your client request or where the final

output is going and what are their requirements) then edit inside a 23.976

sequence. Sequences will automatically adjust mismatched frame rates

while maintaining playback speed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines