Highlighted

Transcodes for Premiere & Avid

New Here ,
Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone,

I'm tag teaming an upcoming job with an Avid editor - we'd like to be able to share selects sequences between each platform with .AAFs. The Avid editor would like to work off DNxHD wrapped in .MXF.

Will Premiere render these as well as my usual transcodes (ProRes LT) ? And should it be easy enough to share .AAFs back and forth?

Thanks!

Topics

Editing, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Transcodes for Premiere & Avid

New Here ,
Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone,

I'm tag teaming an upcoming job with an Avid editor - we'd like to be able to share selects sequences between each platform with .AAFs. The Avid editor would like to work off DNxHD wrapped in .MXF.

Will Premiere render these as well as my usual transcodes (ProRes LT) ? And should it be easy enough to share .AAFs back and forth?

Thanks!

Topics

Editing, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're setting yourself up for a world of hurt.

There are ways of getting media and sequences back and forth from Avid but it takes a lot of effort/testing/troubleshooting. Avid prefers to use OP-Atom media (video and audio in separate files), it can use OP1A MXFs but you will have to set it up for that. Where is the media coming from?

You will be able to do it with enough effort but you will probably hit some hurdles. I recommend one of you switches NLE. The learning curve will probably be less painful than trying to send AAFs back and forth.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this Mike, appreciate it. At the very least can we both get the same transcodes to save time for the DIT? The post schedule is super tight to anything helps. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the DIT makes Avid Bins as per the spec, then obviously you won't be able to open them.

Premiere will be fine with DNXHD115 OP1A MXFs. But you will have to speak to the DIT to let them know you intend to bring the media into Premiere as well (otherwise they might assume a full Avid workflow and create OP-Atom media with audio syncing done in an Avid bin rather then encapsulated into the OP1A media files).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines