• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Transition Flickering

Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2019 Jun 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I am trying to edit a project, but every time I put a transition in it seems to flicker or flash kinda ruining the effect. I can't seem to find a fix for this anywhere so I thought I would start a discussion and ask if anyone knows how to sort it. I've left an example of what I'm seeing.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have any effects applied?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not to the video footage no, this is just unaltered footage and a normal cross dissolve transition

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting the preferences:

FAQ: How to reset preferences in Premiere Pro?

If that doesn't work, try resetting the Workspaces:

Reset a workspace

Reset the current workspace to return to its original, saved layout of panels.

1. Do one of the following:
    • Click the Workspace menu icon and select Reset to Saved Layout.
    • Choose Window > Workspace > Reset to Saved Layout.

from here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/workspaces.html

If that doesn’t work ,try updating or rolling back your graphics driver directly from the video card manufacturer’s site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only installed it yesterday, so I don't think it's the preferences as I haven't messed with them. My graphics card is up to date and working fine with everything else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 14, 2019 Jun 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi TazerUrbex,

Please try to switch the Renderer to Mercury Playback Engine Software Only and check if it's working properly.

FAQ: How to change the Video Renderer in Premiere Pro?

Thanks,

Sumeet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue, flashing when using cross dissolve transitions.   

problem exists on just plain pics with no other effects on them.

never has done that in past versions of Premiere Pro.

I changed the rendering but it didn't fix the problem.

Any additional help is appreciated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. A screenrecording, on top a black color layer with 80% opacity, masked with a rectangle. This layer comes in with a simple cross transition and it flickers (only the incoming transition). Tried several things like only software rendering or deselect "composite in linear color" in the sequenz settings. Also deleted media cache. Nothing helped.

This happens both with Premiere 14 and 13.

I cannot belive that there is no solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2021 Apr 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only work around I have found is to render as a Quicktime file. I was previously trying to add a simple cross dissolve transition over a PNG image. When rendered as an MP4 I get the flickering on the image from the transition. Really frustrating - have seemed to try everything suggested and nothing fixing issue..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2023 Apr 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem. The solution given by @Stage83 didn't work for me. When trying to play the Quicktime file after exporting I don't see anything and when I import the Quicktime file in Premiere Pro it has the same flicker.

Does anyone know another way to fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2021 Jun 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only workaround that I found was that the problem video and effects was actually b-roll over an interview/studio recording. By replacing the "A-roll" with a fresh clip (same piece, just re-laid), it took care of the glitch. It's not taking care of the problem of there being a glitch, but at least it's a workaround for the moment (until the next glitch).  I may find that I have to lay in ALL of the effects in the B-roll befoe replacing the A-roll.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having this problem just now and couldn't figure it out! I do all of my colour grading in adjustment layers and they didn't have the same cross dissolve affect applied to them that my clips had which meant there was no transition between the adjustment layers causing the footage to look like it was flashing!

I repeated my cross dissolves on my adjustment layers and this solves the problem

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ollie,

The flickering you see is probably related to a "render order" scenario where the math isn't working on an effect the way you'd expect. A transition or intrinsic effect (scale, rotation, opacity, etc.) might not take precedence over an effect that is added to the clip(s) either directly or by way of an adjustment layer.

The technique for placing effects out of order to achieve a certain look is to nest clips with certain effects, then add that additional effect to that nest. You also found that duplicating the transition also worked as an effect by adding it to an add edit on the Adjustment Layer. Great!

Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2024 Feb 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What worked for me is using an even number of frames for the transition duration. I had my default video transition set to 5 frames and the problem persisted. I changed that to six and every single one worked fine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines