Trim edit in sequence/timeline

New Here ,
Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Is there a way to use trim mode (trim edit) when in sequence/timeline?

When I go to trim edit I have to click the program monitor to be able to do the trim. This takes an extra click on the mouse, takes my hands off the keyboard and slows down my workflow.

If this is not possible, is there a way to make premiere automatically set focus to the program monitor when using trim edit, and automatically shift focus back to the sequence/timeline after exiting trim edit?

Also, is it possible to update my selected tracks when in trim edit? Whenever I enter trim edit mode, I have to exit trim edit to be able to change what audio/video tracks im trimming, and then re-enter trim edit mode again. Thats alot of questions:)

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Trim edit in sequence/timeline

New Here ,
Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Is there a way to use trim mode (trim edit) when in sequence/timeline?

When I go to trim edit I have to click the program monitor to be able to do the trim. This takes an extra click on the mouse, takes my hands off the keyboard and slows down my workflow.

If this is not possible, is there a way to make premiere automatically set focus to the program monitor when using trim edit, and automatically shift focus back to the sequence/timeline after exiting trim edit?

Also, is it possible to update my selected tracks when in trim edit? Whenever I enter trim edit mode, I have to exit trim edit to be able to change what audio/video tracks im trimming, and then re-enter trim edit mode again. Thats alot of questions:)

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 01, 2020 0
Enthusiast ,
Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When your timeline is active:

Shift + T > to enter trim mode
J or L > to trim left and right

CTRL SHIFT T > toggle between ripple trim forward and backward

J or L > to ripple trim

As for track selection, you can set shorcuts to different tracks, and using the shortcuts you can switch between tracks without leaving trim mode.

I'm a keyboard guy myself, my hands rarely leave the keyboard when editing, Premiere has all the tools for it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 01, 2020 0
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sami

Thanks alot for your fast reply.

As you write I can trim left and right, but I can't trim 1 or 5 frames at a time. I can only use J or L to trim while playback. To do fine adjustments, which it what I do all the time as I work as a commercial editor, I have to set focus on the Program monitor.

As for track selection, I already have shortcuts for every track, but when in trim mode I can only toggle tracks on/off, but the tracks remain selected for trimming as they were when going into trim edit. Hope it makes sense.

Thanks. Anders 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 01, 2020 0
Enthusiast ,
Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use CTRL + left/right arrow to trim 1 frame and CTRL + SHIFT + left/right arrow to trim 5 frames.

I'm not sure I understand your point but when you're in trim mode and select a different track, you can use the down/up arrow to move the trim to the next/previous edit point on the highlighted track.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 01, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to go to the Keyboard Shortcut dialog and study the available cutting and trimming shorts available. Some you need to set, all you can change to suit your needs.

Definitely speeds the editing up a ton.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 01, 2020 0