Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trying for smooth editing: Using proxies and transcoding native media

Explorer ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe community!

I've been experimenting with my work flow, using proxy files etc... and have had some good results.
I actually think I have a grip on creating and attaching proxy files,, which is great because it felt a bit daunting for a while there. So far I am only cutting B-roll (4K). I'm using the ProRes422proxy codec for an ingest preset, I set the size to1280x720 and it seems to be working pretty good.

Besides using proxy files, it was also recommended that I transcode my footage on ingest to a ProRes codec (ProRes LT or similar). Here is my question:
If I am having good results using proxy files, would it still be recommended that I transcode my footage to a ProRes codec?

I don't mind transcoding my footage to a ProRes codec, but if everything is working fine with the proxy, do you still recommend that I do that, or could I skip that step? Logically, it seems that transcoding native media to a ProRes would be done to make editing run smoothly ....but if it is
running smoothly by just using proxy files, would there still be a reason to transcode my native media?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
~Andrew

TOPICS
Editing , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

transcoding to an all i-frame format like prores will probably speed up your exports.  Exports always use the original files referenced by the proxies and assuming your camera original is an mpeg format like h264 or avchd, exporting would take longer from the camera original rather than a high quality prores transcode.  And I wouldn't recommend transcoding to anything but a high quality prores on ingest, something at least as good as prores422 or prores422(hq).  For me, I'm outputting all the time for client review so transcoding to a high quality prores format sometimes make sense...  Hope this makes sense.  It's been a long day (and a long week - and I'm working all weekend).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes... that helps...

Thanks very much!

~Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 22, 2021 May 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Let clear this proxy workflow a little bit.

To use proxies, don't use an ingest process at import. 

Import all your H264 4k files, select them in your project, right click and Choose > Proxies > Create proxies

Then choose a low ProRes ProRes preset. 

Premiere will launch Adobe Media encoder and will start creating all the proxies and once finished the task, all your proxies will be attached to the original files. Now you will work on your timeline with the proxies files to speed up your editing. To switch back on your timeline to the original files, be sure to insert this button ( see blue icon on the picture) under your program monitor with the + sign under your monitor.

Capture d’écran 2021-05-22 085759.jpg

At export Premiere Will always use the original file format and not your proxies until you select use proxies in the export media panel.

Hope it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 22, 2021 May 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Richard...

....I'm pretty new to this process so every tip and bit of advice I get is helpful and gets me closer to flying solo

.....very much appreciated.

Cheers,

~Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines