Highlighted

Trying to figure out a way to upgrade a project from PR18 to PR20

New Here ,
Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all!

Perhaps you might be able to help me with an issue I've been struggling with for a bit now-

I have this pretty big on-going PR2018 project I've been working on for the past couple of months, it includes dozens of 4K clips, lots of GFX files, SFX, music, tons of Dynamic Link clip (which work well!), and somewhere around 150 master sequences.

The project itself is basically many short video-lessons (the reason it's one big project is because I constantly need to go back and forth, changing  things within the videos, or grabbing some elements from here and there, etc)

Everything is working quite well (with the occasional crash and some tough freezes and lags here and there), however I AM starting to fear the day in which Adobe will stop supporting PR2018 and I would be forced to move on to a more updated version of the software + assuming there must be some nice new updates and features in the newer PPro.

So with that in mind, I decided to go ahead and try updating the project (i.e opening it with PR2020 and seeing what's what) and got into some problems - 

I managed to deal with the few missing effects, missing lumetri presets and such, but:

1. For some reason the software (2020) continues to crash after the initial save of the new updated project 

2. The Dynamic links do not work throughout the whole project. I understand that it's probably because the PR2020 has troubles correlating with the AE file (which is an AE2018 project), but trying to upgrade those AE projects proves to be an even bigger challange and crashes immediately upon trying.

I have tried going about it gradually, first opening and saving on PR19, and then PR20, but same issues occur.

Does anyone have any experience with the matter? Tips? Suggestions?

Should I just stay with 2018? Or should I start over a complete new project, leaving the 2018 behind? (and in that case will I even  be able to open it in like 3 years from now?)

Thank you very much,

let me know if extra information is needed

Or

TOPICS
Crash

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Trying to figure out a way to upgrade a project from PR18 to PR20

New Here ,
Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all!

Perhaps you might be able to help me with an issue I've been struggling with for a bit now-

I have this pretty big on-going PR2018 project I've been working on for the past couple of months, it includes dozens of 4K clips, lots of GFX files, SFX, music, tons of Dynamic Link clip (which work well!), and somewhere around 150 master sequences.

The project itself is basically many short video-lessons (the reason it's one big project is because I constantly need to go back and forth, changing  things within the videos, or grabbing some elements from here and there, etc)

Everything is working quite well (with the occasional crash and some tough freezes and lags here and there), however I AM starting to fear the day in which Adobe will stop supporting PR2018 and I would be forced to move on to a more updated version of the software + assuming there must be some nice new updates and features in the newer PPro.

So with that in mind, I decided to go ahead and try updating the project (i.e opening it with PR2020 and seeing what's what) and got into some problems - 

I managed to deal with the few missing effects, missing lumetri presets and such, but:

1. For some reason the software (2020) continues to crash after the initial save of the new updated project 

2. The Dynamic links do not work throughout the whole project. I understand that it's probably because the PR2020 has troubles correlating with the AE file (which is an AE2018 project), but trying to upgrade those AE projects proves to be an even bigger challange and crashes immediately upon trying.

I have tried going about it gradually, first opening and saving on PR19, and then PR20, but same issues occur.

Does anyone have any experience with the matter? Tips? Suggestions?

Should I just stay with 2018? Or should I start over a complete new project, leaving the 2018 behind? (and in that case will I even  be able to open it in like 3 years from now?)

Thank you very much,

let me know if extra information is needed

Or

TOPICS
Crash

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 28, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Support for 2018 has already ended. You cannot download the program anymore.

I would stay with 2018 with this project and finish it.

Start fresh in 2020.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 28, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting, so basically the ending of the support still means I can continue using it?

I was under the assumption that after support being ended I won't even be able to open it.

The thing is, this project is on-going so there won't really be an end for it at least in the near future, therefore my thoughts of updating.

So let's say - instead of updating my current project, I would just start fresh in 2020 for all my following edits, and leave the 2018 as is-  then I fear a situation where a few years from now I would need to go back and change something in there, and the software would not even open.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 28, 2020 0
Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please consider updating the dynamically linked assets first, before opening the old project in PPro 2020.

Before you progress, please copy all assets to a new folder you label 2020, or make sure you have backups on external media.

If you have several Ae Comps inside, open up these comps in Ae 2020 first, independently from PPro 2020.

Hope this helps.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 28, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I will try that.

Now on to the whole problem of updating huge AE files 😞

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2020 0
Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you have a good backup.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2020 0
Peru Bob LATEST
Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try creating a new project in 2020 and import the 2018 one into it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2020 1