• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trying to migrate TV season Project to Production- help?

Explorer ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 9 episodes of a season in a Premiere Project, and am grateful that Productions exists, but having a hard time thinking thru the file admin.

I'm using some footage across multiple episodes, and I like the idea of not creating dupes. I assume all footage should live in one bin, but where does that live? I understand that everything inside the prprod folder should be a proj file format only. Can I put footage inside a folder inside the prprod? Is that shooting my RAM in the foot?

TOPICS
How to , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Hi Grace and Corbett,

Best advice: Do everything via the Productions panel. Do ZERO via Finder/Expolorer - that is where most people get into trouble. Once you start moving things around at that level, it confuses the Production.

The way I have my "Travel Video" Production setup is via around 15 or so Premiere Pro projects forming the core of my file workflow. These projects can be thought of as "bins." So one project contains all the clips I use and resuse. I make another project for all my grap

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Setup your project by setting up the folder structure in your Productions folder. Right-click, New Folder ... set up folder trees probably in your case for maybe even Season X, Season X1, or each season its own production. Your choice.

Then organize folders and folder trees by perhaps Episode ... then within each Episode 'main' folder, you would have Media folders with subs for perhaps different days or cameras or whatever if needed. Inside those you would have project files that merely serve

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Grace and Corbett,

Best advice: Do everything via the Productions panel. Do ZERO via Finder/Expolorer - that is where most people get into trouble. Once you start moving things around at that level, it confuses the Production.

The way I have my "Travel Video" Production setup is via around 15 or so Premiere Pro projects forming the core of my file workflow. These projects can be thought of as "bins." So one project contains all the clips I use and resuse. I make another project for all my graphics. I make another one for SFX. I make another one for music. Finally, I make one with sequences. The sequences bin contains my shows for the "season": I have a folder for each city I have visited: Paris, Versailles, Rome, etc. In each folder I have the sequences for each city. Each city has several sequences I can either join up or release as small bits on social media. 

You can begin your production in the Productions panel by right clicking > Add Project to Production and navigate to the current projects making up your Production. You'll need to create new projects for your assets that you plan to reuse in the future. 

Please return with any questions.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 10, 2021 Apr 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kevin, will do all in the Productions pane. One thing I'm still unclear about though is this:

Do I need to dump all media into sequences to have them available? If I have a master project file with all the media loaded into it, doesn't that defeat the purpose of RAM saving, when I need to go in and shop for footage to populate the individual episode projects?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nevermind, after some experimenting I now understand the workaround. I'm keeping all actual media outside the Production folder, but I import them into a project that lives inside subfolders in the prprod folder, and move the footage links from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Setup your project by setting up the folder structure in your Productions folder. Right-click, New Folder ... set up folder trees probably in your case for maybe even Season X, Season X1, or each season its own production. Your choice.

Then organize folders and folder trees by perhaps Episode ... then within each Episode 'main' folder, you would have Media folders with subs for perhaps different days or cameras or whatever if needed. Inside those you would have project files that merely serve to 'hold' the appropriate media.

In another folder tree you'd have other assets, maybe graphics or sounds or whatever.

In another you'll have sequences ... project files that only include sequences where you grab media from the media project files to populate those sequences. You can have maybe 3-10 projects open in their own 'bins' at once, no problem. Grab elements from one project and drop in say a sequence, no duplications or any other mess-ups.

That's roughly how this works.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Neil- so to clarify one last thing:

Should all our media (video, audio, music, etc) live in subfolders inside the production folder? Or can they remain outside of it? I have 10 TB of media, and am concerned about trying to copy the files using the 'import' function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You set up parallel folder trees, is really I think the best practice. One with the Prodution and the projects inside, the other for the media. They don't recommend the media "lives' in the Production folder tree.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you just need enough storage and power to do 1 episode at a time and then branch out into mixing up the episodes ( like trailers for various epsisodes ).

an episisocic tv 1 hour program ( csi, blue bloods, etc ) is typically about 7 days of shooting for principle phography ( masters and coverage, 12 hour days at minimum , or X number of pages of script ).

Shot in sections ( maybe sc 10 is shot on first day, so post has to put the puzzle pieces together via script and director, producer, etc. )

If you do ONE espisode you'll know what you have to do to separate the sound, video, and all that stuff.

and sync it and edit it. It's easy.

On hour episodic is about 44 min ( with commercials = one hour ).

Do that once and you'll have all your answers.... everything else is basically kid stuff.

🙂

it is a business, you know, with many hundreds of people working on the product ... hehe,,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new productions model means you can handle a whole season ... or seasons ... in one organized process. All of your assets are available for all projects and eps, there's no duplication of assets, and the projects all work vastly better and faster than even doing one ep per project worked.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Neil, I am STOKED ! what a great solution for poster. I guess it's about folder structure re: many eps and maybe lots of seasons ( 22 eps per season ). My computer is so wimpy I can hardly do ONE ep, but that's why I don't even try to do that stuff... I'm just a hobbyist and not smart like you. Nor have anywhere near what I'd need to do one ep let alone many seasons of eps.

I wish I had a computer and a mind like you that can handle material edit and exports and focus on each little 'story' ( ep in your language ).

virus bothers me a lot... many people not working now... creepy.

😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines