• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trying to trace a route using masks in premiere pro

Engaged ,
Apr 18, 2021 Apr 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I have searched for this topic in the PP Community and extensively on YouTube and I couldn't find exactly what I am looking for.  What I am trying to do is trace a map route in PP using masks but I keep running into weird things.  I have included the two files I am using.  I am creating a huge family trip to Kauai, Hawaii and I need to perfect this trick because in 10 days on the island we did many, many activities.  The first clip shows the map without the route and the second clip has the path we drove by car.  On my timeline, I have the route clip stacked on top of the clip with no path.  I've tried using all three masks under opacity in the effects panel (eclipse, polygon, and the pen tool) and all of them give me ghost images and I cannot get it to follow the path.  It starts off doing really well but then the mask jumps and we are way off-road.  What I have been doing is starting at the Start pin, moving forward a few frames, dragging the mask, so on and so forth throughout the whole map.  None of my attempts have provided me the clips that I am wanting.  I have also used the map without the route in PS and drew the line on a new layer.  Then imported the PSD file into PP and tried using a mask reveal as well under opacity.  It still hasn't produced anything looking very professional.  I do not want to do this technique in AE because my knowledge of using AE is limited to a medium user at best.  I would like to do this all in PP.  I have even entertained the idea of dropping the $29 in Envato Elements to purchase the Map Route Generator for Premiere Pro.  But I KNOW there has to be an easier way to do this in PP.  I mean someone created this for Envato so I know it can be done.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Randy

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

if it were a straight line that was easily done in Pr. with a wipe transition, but this one is far more complicated.
The easiest way is Ae.

draw the path with the pentool, drop a stroke onto it.

keyframes for beginning and end.

done

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if it were a straight line that was easily done in Pr. with a wipe transition, but this one is far more complicated.
The easiest way is Ae.

draw the path with the pentool, drop a stroke onto it.

keyframes for beginning and end.

done

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann,

Yeah, that is why I wanted to include the files so a person with much more expertise would know what I am looking for.  Most of the tutorial videos I have seen on YouTube are dealing with planes.  More people are looking for the whole Indian Jones map transitions which show the plane flying from one city to the next city.  Well that is easy because it is a curved line from one point to the next and the mask technique I have used in the past works well for that.  But with all the close roads switching back and forth my mask would bleed onto the road we've already traveled and traced.  No matter how far I zoomed in (and I was at 400%) I could not get the mask small enough to still be able to grab the mask to move it.  When I would get the mask small enough to just include the road, I would lose the hand grabber tool after I have already clicked on MASK in the Effect Controls panel.

I have seen numerous tutorial videos on YouTube but a high majority of them involve using After Effects.  I have a hard time with the preview engine in AE b/c it is harder to see your progress than it is in PP.  If I don't find someone who has done exactly what I need to do, then I will either look into some of the AE tutorial videos or spend the $30 with Envato to test out their add-on.

Even when I create a layer in Photoshop and import as a sequence into PP, I still have been trying to reveal the line using an inverted mask (since a wipe transition/effect will not work since the line is not a straight line) and I still run into minor hiccups with bleed over and a halo effect around the mask even though I've reduced the mask size.

I've reached out to the individual who created this video and he said he creates his in either PS (and imports it as a sequence into PP) or he more than likely creates these in AE.

Thanks for your time,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would not even consider doing such a map in Premiere.

You have Ae: use it!

It will save you a lot of headache.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I've spent the last few hours watching numerous YouTube videos that try to teach the concepts I would love to know how to do in AE (plus a ton of ones that use Google Earth Studio + AE).  I'm trying but the struggle is real.  Onto the next reply.  Thanks Ann!

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Randy,

I tried out your issue and was able to make a rough animated map in just a few minutes in After Effects that anyone at the advanced beginner level could handle using a Shape Layer (no fill, stroke to taste) and the trim paths command. 

See a wonderful set of tutorials by Boone describing the how to here.

Here's the main one I'd suggest you check out:

Hope it helps.

This is the rough animation using 2 shape layers w/ 2 keyframes on one of the shapes.

Shape Layer w/Trim Paths FX: Adobe After EffectsShape Layer w/Trim Paths FX: Adobe After Effects

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome, thanks, Kevin.  It sounds like I need to figure this out since I have about 25 maps to build for this Kauai trip.  This is why I knew if I posted my dilemma SOMEONE here in our community would have the exact answer I am looking for.  Off to watch your linked videos...

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't want to venture into use of an After Effects Shape Layer, the Write-On Effect  in AE can do this very quickly.  Maybe this is a good time to learn about using Replace with After Effects Comp?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Teach me, Master Kenobi, b/c I'm all out of hope right now!!!  I haven't used AE in YEARS and the slow render, expressions, and keyframes scare the crap out of me.  I love PP but for the advanced things I want to do make the decision to re-learn AE a must from what it sounds like.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Taking a look at the two images you posted at first, are you looking for something like this?

Princeville-to-Wai'Oli-Beach3D-2-1_1.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your route looks faster than mine. Great idea using Write On.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, that's not Write-On.

It's the End parameter of the Paint Brush keyframes to reveal the layer with the blue line on it stacked over the layer without it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is exactly what I was looking for.  Let me guess, you did it in After Effects?  LOL

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did it thanks to all of your help and those video links.  It really didn't take as long as I thought it was going to.  In fact, once I watched the video and followed every step-by-step, I had a rudimentary version of what I was looking for in less than 5 minutes.  Then I took the time to animate the map.  Then I created text over the two areas with a fade-in, then did a zoom/scale close-up from Princeville to the overall map, had the line traced, and then zoomed into Waioli Beach.  Although I don't know how to create those cool gifs like Kevin and Warren to show you the whole progression, I included a jpg of the final on the map tracing with two map pointers.

As I said, I have a ton more of these types of maps to create for this 10-day vacation.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me out.  It means the world to me that members of the community actually answer the questions or problems people come up with.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, nice work, Randy!

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Using a dashed line is a nice touch.

This makes me want to go on vacation!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines