Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

.ts file is imported as an audio file

Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2016 Nov 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

So I got a HD Recorder which records tv in .ts format. Normally I watch the recordings via the recorder itself. Sometimes I move them to a usb and edit them on my pc. Only now, I got a problem. I imported the .ts to Premiere pro and it now sees it as audio-only. But when I play it via VLC or something it just plays video and audio. I don't know why premiere pro takes only the audio from it. Can someone explain and come up with a solution.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

M

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 14, 2016 Nov 14, 2016

Try changing the extentions to mts or m2ts.

if that does not work convert with HandBrake

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A ts file isn't a "standard" codec like you'd get from a camera or pass around for editing purposes ... it is a transport stream file, used by broadcasters to save bandwidth during transmission, and also the type of file included for the video portion of some DVD/Blu-Ray content if I recall correctly.

So ... it's not something editing programs necessarily work with. Occasionally, some ts files work fine in PrPro, but it depends.

What's in that ts file? How about running it onto MediaInfo, go into TreeView there, then take a screen grab of the video info section and post that back here? Then we'd know a lot more about these files you're getting from your recorder.

MediaInfo

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cut all of the (I hope) pointless stuff out of it. I hope you don't care about that. But here is the MediaInfo what you asked for.

twd s07e03 ts file.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Yea, it's just the video section of use here.

Now that we've that info along with your original question, let's see if we can get a couple others in here to help ...

RoninEdits​ and Ann Bens​ are typically pretty good on these things, for example ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try changing the extentions to mts or m2ts.

if that does not work convert with HandBrake

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing the extension didn't work. I'll let you know when it's done converting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick help, Ann!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Converting did work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2020 Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Four years later and this answer is still relevant! 🙂  Thanks. Converting the .ts file via HandBrake was exactly what the doctor ordered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

instead of converting/transcoding, you could try re-wrapping using a free tool like HDTVtoMPEG2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines