• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tweaking Lumetri parameters on Red (r3d) footage causing graphical problems, crashes

New Here ,
Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EDIT: I just saw the FAQ guide for these things, so will provide some extra info:

Editing with 5k (5120x2700) .r3d shot at 23.98fps, compression 9:1

CPU: i9 9900k, GPU: RTX 2080, MoBo: z390 Aorus Master, Windows 10 Pro 10.0.17763 Build 17763

Premiere Pro Version 14.3.2 (Build 42)

Not getting any particular error messages or anything - system doesn't actually crash, just black screen

Hi there. I have been getting pretty debilitating issues for a while now, making it very difficult to do even simple grading with Lumetri color.

Whenever I make tweaks to an instance of Lumetri (eg. turning HSL Secondary on and off, moving points on a mask, adjusting color wheel etc.) on my Red footage, I get all kinds of graphical garbage in the preview (flashing black, mask appearing/disappearing, classic colorful glitching artifacts) until it inevitably goes solid black and requires reboot of Premiere to return to normal. These tweaks are accompanied by huge spikes in GPU usage.

From what I can tell, the easy answer is "it's your GPU". If I was using my old PC I might understand, but the footage is only 5K* (running at half resolution) and I have an RTX 2080 and i9 9900k, M.2 Solid state etc. and the effects I am using in Lumetri are rudementary, often only one instance on any clip at a time. But a simple tweak will take my GPU from running at 2% to 100% instantly. I have the latest Studio Driver installed and latest version of Premiere, Windows 10.

Any ideas? I don't really post, so let me know if it'd be useful for me to include screenshots or any other info. It doesn't give me any errors, I just get a black screen and can no longer monitor my edit.

*I recorded the r3d footage at 9:1 compression, so nothing particularly crazy there either.

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Conor !

I'm having similar issues with R3d footage with my brand new computer. Did you end up solving the issue ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is quite often a GPU driver issue ... so which GPU and driver for that do you have?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Neil !

My GPU is RTX 2060 with 456.71 studio driver. I've try updating with the most recent driver(461.72) and it was also not working well, so I went back to the old one. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well also it won't export 😞 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then wondering if this is a bug with that RED media ... huh.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2022 Jun 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm having the exact same problem. Particularly with R3D. Using masks, lumetri, text, adjusting mask points etc. GPU eventually will max our ( RTX 3090 ) screen goes black. Interesting enough other media types on the timeline ie. .H264 will keep their picture / aren't black. What's up with CUDA / Premier 2022 / & RED !?!?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines