Highlighted

Type Tool Interferes With Keyboard Shortcuts

Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I love the new Type Tool. However, when I click on the Program Monitor and start typing my desired text, I'll end up hitting a key that relates to some keyboard shortcut in my settings. For instance, whenever I hit the letter I or O, it sets my In and Out points on my timeline. Or the spacebar starts playing my video. Obviously I sometimes need to use I, O, or space when creating my title. What am I doing wrong? Is there any way to use the Type Tool without triggering my keyboard shortcuts?

Typing text will not trigger shortcuts.  If it is for you, my first guess is operator error.  You're not doing it right.

It's impossible to know that without seeing you work, though.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Type Tool Interferes With Keyboard Shortcuts

Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I love the new Type Tool. However, when I click on the Program Monitor and start typing my desired text, I'll end up hitting a key that relates to some keyboard shortcut in my settings. For instance, whenever I hit the letter I or O, it sets my In and Out points on my timeline. Or the spacebar starts playing my video. Obviously I sometimes need to use I, O, or space when creating my title. What am I doing wrong? Is there any way to use the Type Tool without triggering my keyboard shortcuts?

Typing text will not trigger shortcuts.  If it is for you, my first guess is operator error.  You're not doing it right.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 16, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be sure to click on the Program Monitor after you select the Type Tool.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 16, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even when I have the program monitor selected, it still triggers keyboard shortcuts sometimes. 😕

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 20, 2018 0
LEGEND ,
May 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 20, 2018 0
May 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jjkm102  wrote

Even when I have the program monitor selected, it still triggers keyboard shortcuts sometimes. 😕

You must be purposefully trying to do that. Click somewhere in your actual video picture and enjoy the Type tool. Yes, you can click around the edges of your program monitor and your hot keys still work, but it's pretty clear when you have a text box to type in.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 20, 2018 1
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel like if I was purposely trying to do that, I wouldn't be in a forum trying to fix it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 20, 2018 1
May 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't believe there is anything to fix here. From the timeline you can select the Text tool with a T, you are not adding text yet. You can select the program monitor and play, set in/out, etc with the (V) Selection tool, Pen tool or even the Text tool, the interface is consistent, but with the Text tool selected, once you click the monitor and have the thin red bounding box, then you are entering text and you are not setting in/out, play etc by the various keys you type.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 20, 2018 1
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you still use keyboard shortcuts while using the type tool?  I find it cumbersome to have to switch back to mouse to get out of the type tool and into the V tool for eexample.  Is there a keyboard shortcut for "commit type" or somthing like that?  To get out of the type tool with a keyboard shortcut?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 07, 2018 0
Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a keyboard shortcut for "commit type" or somthing like that?

When you are done typing, press the ESC-key on the keyboard.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 07, 2018 1
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! That was some answers!

I have the same problem. Sometimes while typing normally, the letters I type triggers the shortcuts instead of entering the text in the red bounding box with the red line between characters.

For example, trying to insert a space character plays the timeline, while still editing the text.

And I still don't know what to do to recover the usual behavior. It comes back eventually 😕

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 20, 2018 1
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem and it is driving me insane. Every time I'm in the type tool and click the SPACEBAR I don't get a space, the timeline just starts playing. 

Can't understand how the only answer here is user error!!!!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 13, 2020 0
Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when someone works extensively in premiere pro and never sees this behavior, it's not inconceivable that they think that it is operator error.    Not saying it is, just saying that it's possible.  And sometimes in the process of trying to solve the problem, after an enormous amount of back and forth, we find that it was something obvious that we should have asked at the beginning. 

It's not always easy to troubleshoot from a distance, but maybe we should start with:

Please tell us your system specs: OS version, Premiere version, amount of RAM, Hardware specs including graphics card

acallens1, you say that everytime you hit the space bar when in the text entry mode, you see this behavior?  Just wondering if there's something wonky in your keyboard.  Can you try use another keyboard?    Do you have any kind of macro program installed on your computer or key remapping utility?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 13, 2020 0