Highlighted

Ultra HD Pro Res footage choppy/stutters on playback and in exported file in Premiere Pro 2020

Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am editing Ultra HD Pro Res 422 footage shot on a Black Magic in Premiere Pro 2020. I am editing in a previous created project file as this is a client of many years and not a brand new project. The sequence I am editing the clips into is a 1080 sequence. I have tried using the DSLR preset as well as the Pro Res RAW preset with Pro Res 422 selected as the codec. Playback of edited clips is fine when no effects are applied, at full or 1/4 quality. When I turn on the effects (Colorista 3, Brightness/Contract, Denoiser) and pre-render the sequence, the beginning of each clip will playback choppy or stutter. The choppiness happens to the final file if I try to export the sequence. I need to color correct the footage before final export. I have not tried doing the color correct in After Effects. My usual workflow is to color correct my original edit in Premiere before moving to After Effects. Any help or suggestions? This is a very time sensitive project.

Computer specs:

iMac Pro (2017)

macOS Catalina 10.15.7 (19h2)

3.2 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W

32GB 2666 MHz DDR4

Graphics: Radeon Pro Vega56 8 GB

TOPICS
Editing, Effects and Titles, Error or problem, Export, Formats, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Ultra HD Pro Res footage choppy/stutters on playback and in exported file in Premiere Pro 2020

Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am editing Ultra HD Pro Res 422 footage shot on a Black Magic in Premiere Pro 2020. I am editing in a previous created project file as this is a client of many years and not a brand new project. The sequence I am editing the clips into is a 1080 sequence. I have tried using the DSLR preset as well as the Pro Res RAW preset with Pro Res 422 selected as the codec. Playback of edited clips is fine when no effects are applied, at full or 1/4 quality. When I turn on the effects (Colorista 3, Brightness/Contract, Denoiser) and pre-render the sequence, the beginning of each clip will playback choppy or stutter. The choppiness happens to the final file if I try to export the sequence. I need to color correct the footage before final export. I have not tried doing the color correct in After Effects. My usual workflow is to color correct my original edit in Premiere before moving to After Effects. Any help or suggestions? This is a very time sensitive project.

Computer specs:

iMac Pro (2017)

macOS Catalina 10.15.7 (19h2)

3.2 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W

32GB 2666 MHz DDR4

Graphics: Radeon Pro Vega56 8 GB

TOPICS
Editing, Effects and Titles, Error or problem, Export, Formats, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 26, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the hard drive fast enough?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes sorry should have included that.

Project file is on iMac, it's got a 1TB SSD hard drive. Not sure of its actual speeds

Footage is on external drive that is a 6TB g-drive 7200rpm 226mb/s connected with a thunderbolt 3 usb-c cable

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2020 0
Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Put your footage on the ssd as well. 7200 rpm is too slow.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dang really? What should be the optimal rpm I should look for in an external drive? I will be dealing with projects with over 1TB of Ultra HD or 4K footage now. I thought 7200 was a good upgrade from my previous drives. I was looking at G-Drives and the SSD model specs did not show a higher rpm than the non SSD models, but getting an SSD drive would help as well then? Any drive recommendations are greatly appreciated

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved footage to the ssd on the iMac and it still does the same thing with the effects on

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2020 0
Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I did that after moving the footage

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2020 0
Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check audio hardware in the Preferences: input should me set to none/built in.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is and it still does it with the effects applied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2020 0
Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am out of ideas at the moment.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2020 0
Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The drive speed with high bitrate ProRes would potentially be an issue with the playback, but it shouldn't be getting into the export. I wonder if it's the Denoiser that's causing issues. I only say that because it's a pretty intensive process. If you temporarily remove that (for the sake of testing) do you get the same results? I know in the past I've had to render and replace certain clips with denoiser on it, or just tweak the level of denoising. If it seems like that's the issue you can either try to tweak in edit or maybe apply the denoising in AE if you're headed there anyway.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2020 0