Unable to Edit (HORRIBLE lag/choppiness) PP2019/2020

Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lately with Premire Pro 2020 and 2019,

I'm completely unable to edit a video using Premiere Pro because of lag & choppiness.

My goal is to edit mp4 60+ minute 60fps videos.

I've been able to edit them in the past (with some issues but I could get the job)

Obviously I use large files.

I dont use effects much (sometimes crop). I'd like to use more effects but because of how much of a headache this is I just try to get everything done as fast as possible without making things any more difficult. Yes, long term, once I can afford it, I am going to invest in a super computer that can fly to Mars and hopefully run Premiere Pro with an additional effect other than cropping. 

I'm using a, apparently, meh Macbook in terms of editing. 

Processor 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

Memory 16GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

Graphics Radeon Pro 555 2 GB Intel HD Graphics 630 1536 MB 

I hardly know what any of this means but I do know that for the tasks I'm trying to do it's not optimal

but I don't currently have the funds to upgrade and wont for months. Honestly I'm surprised my laptop or Premiere Pro cant handle playing back a admittedly 60fps 60+minute tough video and essentially trimming it. I'd expect my laptop to be able to handle that at least...isn't that bare minimum? 

I watched a wonderful tutorial by "Matt Johnson" on proxys and tried to create a proxy using Adobe Media Encoder. Unfortunately its taken over 1 hour and it looks like it should take over another hour, so at least 2 hours just so I can use a proxy, just to start editing 1 single video that in the end should be about 5-25 minutes long? How can it be that it takes minimum 2+ hours to edit a 5-25 minute video?

That's not going to work for me. I would like to quickly get through editing videos. I cannot be taking 3+ hours to edit a bare bones 5-25 minute video. 

- 1/4 quality playback (anything lower is greyed out also i cant see well enough)

- turned off the audio track wavelength thing which i'd actually have liked to keep on

- made a proxy (but its taken at least 2 hours and i have not even been able to edit yet)

- cleared media cache like 10+ times

- allocated all of my laptops resources to premiere pro to the limit (yes id love to go out and buy a $3k desktop but i dont yet have the funds)

- opened project and connected all the files to premiere pro - in case there was an issue with the files not being found (every time i'd attempt to drag and drop 1 video, premiere pro would crash / reject the drag and drop file)

- restart my computer shut down my computer 

- close all other programs with the only ones open being Adobe media encoder and premiere pro

- tried using Adobe premiere pro 2019 but its still laggy/choppy

- keep closing premire pro 2020 and premiere pro 2019 and neither seem to be functioning just barely enough for me to play the video let alone edit it 

- edit files on laptop not through a harddrive or anything else

- store as little as possible on my laptop to help premiere pro run more smoothly (doesnt work or help)

I tried switching to Premiere Pro 2019 but then I cant switch between the two and I have to completely redo/re cut some things which has already wasted hours of my time upon hours of my time already wasted trying to use premiere pro 2020. If I don't find the solution either I'm going to invest in a $2k+ computer months later & quit editing or quit using premiere pro altogether. I've wasted hours upon hours just trying to get premiere pro to barely work. Woke up eager to work, as usual after using premiere pro, now I'm ready to quit.

Any advice would be appreciated!!!!

TOPICS
Crash, Editing, Freeze or hang, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Unable to Edit (HORRIBLE lag/choppiness) PP2019/2020

Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lately with Premire Pro 2020 and 2019,

I'm completely unable to edit a video using Premiere Pro because of lag & choppiness.

My goal is to edit mp4 60+ minute 60fps videos.

I've been able to edit them in the past (with some issues but I could get the job)

Obviously I use large files.

I dont use effects much (sometimes crop). I'd like to use more effects but because of how much of a headache this is I just try to get everything done as fast as possible without making things any more difficult. Yes, long term, once I can afford it, I am going to invest in a super computer that can fly to Mars and hopefully run Premiere Pro with an additional effect other than cropping. 

I'm using a, apparently, meh Macbook in terms of editing. 

Processor 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

Memory 16GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

Graphics Radeon Pro 555 2 GB Intel HD Graphics 630 1536 MB 

I hardly know what any of this means but I do know that for the tasks I'm trying to do it's not optimal

but I don't currently have the funds to upgrade and wont for months. Honestly I'm surprised my laptop or Premiere Pro cant handle playing back a admittedly 60fps 60+minute tough video and essentially trimming it. I'd expect my laptop to be able to handle that at least...isn't that bare minimum? 

I watched a wonderful tutorial by "Matt Johnson" on proxys and tried to create a proxy using Adobe Media Encoder. Unfortunately its taken over 1 hour and it looks like it should take over another hour, so at least 2 hours just so I can use a proxy, just to start editing 1 single video that in the end should be about 5-25 minutes long? How can it be that it takes minimum 2+ hours to edit a 5-25 minute video?

That's not going to work for me. I would like to quickly get through editing videos. I cannot be taking 3+ hours to edit a bare bones 5-25 minute video. 

- 1/4 quality playback (anything lower is greyed out also i cant see well enough)

- turned off the audio track wavelength thing which i'd actually have liked to keep on

- made a proxy (but its taken at least 2 hours and i have not even been able to edit yet)

- cleared media cache like 10+ times

- allocated all of my laptops resources to premiere pro to the limit (yes id love to go out and buy a $3k desktop but i dont yet have the funds)

- opened project and connected all the files to premiere pro - in case there was an issue with the files not being found (every time i'd attempt to drag and drop 1 video, premiere pro would crash / reject the drag and drop file)

- restart my computer shut down my computer 

- close all other programs with the only ones open being Adobe media encoder and premiere pro

- tried using Adobe premiere pro 2019 but its still laggy/choppy

- keep closing premire pro 2020 and premiere pro 2019 and neither seem to be functioning just barely enough for me to play the video let alone edit it 

- edit files on laptop not through a harddrive or anything else

- store as little as possible on my laptop to help premiere pro run more smoothly (doesnt work or help)

I tried switching to Premiere Pro 2019 but then I cant switch between the two and I have to completely redo/re cut some things which has already wasted hours of my time upon hours of my time already wasted trying to use premiere pro 2020. If I don't find the solution either I'm going to invest in a $2k+ computer months later & quit editing or quit using premiere pro altogether. I've wasted hours upon hours just trying to get premiere pro to barely work. Woke up eager to work, as usual after using premiere pro, now I'm ready to quit.

Any advice would be appreciated!!!!

TOPICS
Crash, Editing, Freeze or hang, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 29, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*Please excuse my frustration all I want is to edit videos smoothly - and the path that will lead me to doing so.

I've spent a lot of time & effort failing to do so, so I'm very frustrated.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 29, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe try cleaning your media cache. On the top of the interface go to Premiere Pro/Preferences/Media and disk cache and use the options to clean/delete files. I hope that this helps.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 29, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that many times and it never helped 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 03, 2020 0
Enthusiast ,
Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1 - Your system is not the best there is for video editing, let alone at 60fps.

2 - Proxies, if done correctly, are your best friend. Are you sure you're turning on the proxy toggle after creating them?

3 - The worst editing workflow is to drop the files in the NLE and start editing. Most of us, over the years, have learned that you should always consider the time it takes to prepare a project for editing, that is if you're serious about it. Creating, organizing, and ingesting the media takes time. The more time you spend preparing your project, the more time and headache you save when you start editing.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 29, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1-established

2-at around 3+ hours in media encoder it crashed. yes i did everything correctly. no i did not forget "toggle" not that it mattered in the end

3-as i explained because premiere pro crashed when id drop files, i took the time to organize the files which i stated in the post and no that didnt fix the issue whatsoever.

I will soon be deleting Premiere Pro 2020. I now refuse to use it. I went back to Premiere Pro 2019. It was slow but I got it to work without even using a proxy. The problem I'm having, I suspect, is something related to Premiere Pro 2020. It doesnt function for me.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 29, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOLUTION: I redid everything in Premiere Pro 2019 and got 2 videos done. It is not super fast editing but I can use this until I have funds for new pc. I still cannot use Premiere Pro 2020. It does not work for me at all and it seems generally WAY slower and seems to crash constantly in comparison to Premiere Pro 2019. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 29, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just kidding. Still experiencing large skips and cant edit footage or play audio clearly in premiere pro 2019. One day it works, then I open up the project the next day, and it no longer works.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 03, 2020 0