• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to edit open caption text (Premiere Pro 11.0)

New Here ,
Nov 07, 2016 Nov 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to subtitle a video with open captions. When I click on the caption track the captions panel pops open, but the caption itself is not there and so I can't edit the text, font, styling, add further captions etc. I've managed to get it to work for one project, but for the one I'm on now I simply can't get the caption open to edit it. The screenshot attached shows the screen after double clicking the caption in the timeline – nothing there to edit, though it shows in the preview. Is this a bug in the new version of CC or am I missing something?

Premiere Pro CC 2017 11.0

Mac OSX 10.11.16

Thanks

Screen Shot 2016-11-07 at 12.21.39.png !

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 07, 2016 Nov 07, 2016

There seems to be an issue with non default workspaces.

Reset to saved layout and try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There seems to be an issue with non default workspaces.

Reset to saved layout and try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that seems to fix it – still very temperamental, but I can get it to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2017 Jun 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello -  Very temperamental using captions, sometimes works fine, other times so many issues, any feedback would be great.  I have been adding captions to my images through- out my story and when trying to add the text with open captions, having such a hard time showing up and even editing and spacing the text properly on the image.  Sometimes it works fine, other times too many issues

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2017 Jun 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Grrrrr, same problem here, and so far no solutions!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2016 Nov 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, that helped solve the glitch using closed captions as well. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2016 Dec 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the tip. Just wasted two hours trying to get this work. What nonsense Adobe Premiere Pro Team. Please fix this immediately. This is ridiculous for professional software. User interface windows where buttons don't appear. This was happening in Premiere Pro CC 2015 and still happening now in CC 2017. I had to go back to the standard "Editing" Workspace and then "Reset to Saved Layout" command. In my usual workspace there was no "+" or "-" buttons. 😞

For the love of our sanity, please fix this already.

(Thank you Ann & Google for the reminder of this work around)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 10, 2016 Dec 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I image Adobe is well aware that Premiere is the worst NLE on the market at this time. The good news is that they should be smart enough to start rewriting the code from scratch. There is no use in try to save a sinking ship. If you want proof Premiere is the worst NLE just click the video link. Premiere just gets more and more bugs each release. It is like someone at Adobe is sabotaging it. CS 5.5 worked much better for many things.

This video proves Premiere Pro is the worst NLE ever created - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 16, 2016 Dec 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rather annoying bug. Feel free to file here. Thanks Andy and Happy Holidays.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 16, 2016 Dec 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Wild_Orca,

For the love of our sanity, please fix this already.

Feel free to file your issues here.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2017 May 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

I just submitted this issue to the Adobe Team (see below).

Thanks,

Ken

Steps to Reproduce Bug:

1.  Create Open Caption

2.  Try to render

Results:

Caption does not appear on the program monitor, so it is no longer possible to practically edit the open caption. The issue is pretty well laid out in this thread:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2232936

Expected Results:

One should be able to keep editing without having to worry about losing one's work. I have wasted probably 4 hours on this problem so far. I first imported an SRT file. That worked great, until I started doing a bit of editing. It then froze on the first caption and wouldn't change. So, I created a caption within Adobe Premiere, using my imported SRT in the timeline below my new caption. That worked great, except when I tried to export (I wanted to export as a text file, initially, so I could read the entire caption) and returned to editing I found that the caption no longer appeared in the program monitor, just like the first file I had imported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 18, 2017 May 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much Viodi. We appreciate your feedback in getting these captions bugs solved. Others on the thread, please do the same.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Also, most fonts won't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2016 Nov 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I came here because I had the same problem and changing to a default UI fixed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, could you please explain with more details the solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 11, 2016 Nov 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi PaulineR,

Choose Window > Workspaces > Reset to Saved Layout

That should assist you.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2016 Nov 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

I am having the same issue ever since I updated to 2017.  I had no problem with the previous version.  Now I get no captions in the Caption window but the file is definitely there and it is displaying in the program window fine.  I need to edit a few words but can't get at this point.  I have tried doing exactly what you suggested (Choose Window > Workspaces > Reset to Saved Layout) but no luck.

Any other suggestions?  Thanks,

Kevin

Screenshot 2016-11-25 15.12.29.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2017 Jan 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue, can i know if you have it fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI RuiRui,

Click Window > Workspaces > Reset to Saved Layout

And double click the caption in timeline now you can see plus and minus option is appear on right bottom of your caption window

Its changes your premiere view but after that you can customize your view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess, You have to create fresh text box by click plus and type the content again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! That's not helpful. Not your fault, I know you're only trying...there really is no "right" answer other than, "Adobe needs to fix its buggy caption features." Sadly this does not seem to be a priority.

Best,

Lee

-- sent from the road --

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2017 May 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem.

Please, let me know if somebody find it.

Too bad this "improve".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2017 May 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys,

I have the same problem. Please, if someone have an alternative solution for this, ill be so gratefull.

I have two month with this version, paying but very sad and frustrated with this. I need to find the old box tittle or titulador.

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2017 Oct 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reset the workspaces to the save layout, but I still cannot type or edit any text.

- I am trying to use open captions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2019 Jun 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

doesn't work for me, I can't add edge, if i add edge, the text disappear, please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines