• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to edit text in a text layer?!?

New Here ,
Sep 16, 2018 Sep 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any help will be enormous.  This issue is maddening.  I've used Premiere Pro to complete many projects, I'm doing the same thing I've always done: ctrl+T to place a new text layer, with the selection tool, double click the text in order to edit.  However, for whatever reason, the software is not allowing the text to edit.  No matter how many times I click the text, Im simply unable to access it. 

I've scoured the internet for any answer and no one seems to address it with any accuracy.  Please, any help is appreciated

text layer.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 27, 2018 Sep 27, 2018

Hi Cocobug123,

It appears that you are trying to control Legacy Text with the Essential Graphics panel. That won't work. Please recreate the text with the "T" tool in the toolbar. Then you'll be able to edit the text. Follow Kristian Gabriel's instruction above.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,
Sep 16, 2018 Sep 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your Premiere is working correctly, you should be able to edit text attributes in the following ways:

• Select the Graphics/Text Clip in your Timeline and then Use your Graphics Essentials panel
  • Select the Graphics/Text Clip in your Timeline and then go to EFFECTS CONTROLS panel.

VIP NOTE: To SELECT or jump into editing your text, use the TYPE TOOL from the TOOLBAR and click on your text in the PROGRAM MONITOR. The SELECTION TOOL can activate text editing by simply DOUBLE-CLICKING on your TEXT in the PROGRAM MONITOR but this can be a bit volatile or buggy. If you just select your GRAPHICS/TEXT clip in your timeline and you are on your SELECT TOOL, this does not activate all the text editing features. If you click on the TEXT LAYER at the top of your GRAPHICS ESSENTIALS panel, this will bring up your text editing features but you still need a way to target the specific TEXT ELEMENT within the clip. So, as stated above, do one of the following:

• DOUBLE-CLICK on the TEXT you want to edit in your PROGRAM MONITOR with the SELECT TOOL
  • SELECT TYPE TOOL in your TOOLBAR and CLICK on the TEXT you want to edit in your PROGRAM MONITOR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2020 Feb 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I used CS6 for years but just upgraded to cloud and am having a horrible time with text. Initially it worked fine (text tool, click, type, highight, adjust size etc - red border around text area - select tool to move... nice) BUT now there is no longer a red border, and after typing I amentirely unable to select the text, nor to resize it etc. MADDENING!!!! I've tried everything I know including close the program and restart. Still when I select text tool and type some text, there is NO RED BORDER AROUND THE TEXT and I am unable to select or edit it. PLEASE HELP. I've watched several videos to no avail. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i finally figuredout that though no text cursor or red boundary line is visible, I can guess where the cursor is and edit it / move itwith arrows, and highlight (though no highlight shows either, I have to do it blind!) something is definitely wrong with my installation I think. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 27, 2018 Sep 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cocobug123,

It appears that you are trying to control Legacy Text with the Essential Graphics panel. That won't work. Please recreate the text with the "T" tool in the toolbar. Then you'll be able to edit the text. Follow Kristian Gabriel's instruction above.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The key word here is "appear" - but that's not the correct answer. I've just created my text in the way you describe and I'm having the exact same issue: once created, the text refuses to be edited. I can't access it in any of the ways recommended. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Think I've just discovered that the answer is that text can't be edited when viewed in the Reference Monitor window, to which Premiere Pro had switched for some reason after I inserted my text - it has to be edited in the Program window, when it can be edited using the Text tool etc. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for letting us know regards to Reference monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2024 Mar 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For those like me experiencing this in the program screen I fixed it by turning on and off the comparison view tool. (Looks like two film reels at the bottom of your program window)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Leannac, do you have scaling set to say 125% in Windows Display Properties? If so, that will be a problem. Try 100% and if you must scale use 150%. Let us know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2020 Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MyerPj, you're a genius, that worked - i set it to 150 and BOOM my red border and cursor are back!! Thank you tons. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep this one worked perfectly, just seems to be s caling issue of the interfact elements, maybe to do do with the display driver, as soon as i adjusted the size of the preview window the red selection elements returned. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, thank you so much. That was doing my head in! Can't believe that was the problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2020 Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys! If you are still having trouble with the text box like I was, I found that if you applied a different workspace, like assembly it reset the interactive elements. I then went back to my normal workspace and everything was working perfectly. Hope that helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you thank you thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2023 Jan 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, amazing thank you so much xoxoxo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my gosh. Are you serious? That was totally the issue. I updated my graphic drivers yesterday and was wondering what the hell happened. This fixed it. Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2020 Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also unable to edit text. I have scrupelously followed all the recommendations within the thread and am still unable to make changes. I'm currently working on the 1-week free trial. I will not move forward with this software if there isn't a solution to this bug. Please help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2020 Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a fix for my problem. There is a 'Source Graphics' panel used to review video sources before you place them in the timeline. This window was missing on my screen. I added the 'Source Graphics' panel back > selected the 'Effects Controle" tab on the top of this window >selected the 'Test Footage * Graphics' tab just below that > manually selected the text in that window that I needed to edit > followed the typical advice to double click the text with the selection tool or to select with the text tool. Hurray! This worked for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I think that it has nothing to do with graphics driver or reseting workspace or something like this.

Because I had the same problem and then I was loading a standard workspace and then loading my workspace again - with no effect.

Then I load a standard workspace again where text editing was working and recreated my own workspace from scratch again.

But unfortunately when I was finished with my workspace the same problem was appearing again.

Then I found out that after opening the "Reference Monitor" the problem was appearing!

The problem was, that on this monitor unter the tool wrench icon, neither "Video" nor "Alpha" was selected in the menu!

After selecting one of the two, everything was working correctly again!

After selecting Video or Alpha it is not possible to deselect this selection again - in other words, as soon as you choose one of the two, it is not possible to choose neither of the two again.

For me, this is clearly a bug, because it should be selected Video or Alpha as standard and it should not happen that nothing is selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, this was happening after upgrading from v14.4 to v14.5 today.

The graphics driver I did update some days before, but this didn't produce this error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2024 Feb 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was the only solution that worked for me, thank you. I changed to alpha, then back to composite video and it was editable again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue has just hit me too. So I create a line of text (doesn't matter if its lagacy or the newer essential graphics) then try to edit the colour, outline .. anything to do with style, and Premiere crashes. I have to resort to Task Manager to shut it down.  This has started to happen in the last day and, frankly, renders Premiere useless for anyone that needs to title content on the fly. The 'correct' answer in this thread, doesn't address the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2021 Jul 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, so none of these solutions worked for me, so what helped is that if you select the desired graphic, and press "T",  you'll see the red boundaries and can now edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you kind stranger. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines