I started having this issue with Adobe premiere CS 5.5 out of the blue. No changes or updates that I am aware of. I then upgraded to the latest version of Adobe premiere pro and Still have the same issue.
I can import a larger video file ~8gb into Adobe PP but then it takes forever to see a single frame. The video is 1080p, 30fps in Mp4 nothing special. I am able to see one frame and it is super choppy. Can usually hear the audio but not useable. Smaller video files are having the same issue.
Hardd Drive: M.2
GPU: Nvidia 2070
- Tried to upgrade to latest version of PP
- Tried Droping the video quality to 1/4 - no help
- Video Rendering and playback will only let me use the Mercury playback Engine Software Only (I can't make changes in CS 5.5 or the new version for some reason)
- Cleared the Media Cashe
- Standard closed program and reset the computer
- Almost all RAM is set to PP
- I have NOT tried proxies but they sound like a pain to deal with and I never had issues until a couple of days ago.
- Computer is not over heating
- No effects on the videos tring to be rendered
Any ideas or tips would be super helpful!
Being locked to Software Only means that your GPU or GPU drivers are not supported. You can try updating the drivers to see if that will help.
The file size of the video you're importing won't have much to do with anything, and typically the duration won't have much of an effect either, except in the case of variable framerate, which brings me to the point of media in general:
The type of media has a huge effect on performance, which not everybody understands right off. Reducing the playback resolution has a pretty minor effect in the scheme of things if you're using an unoptimized editing codec, which your "nothing special mp4" most certainly is. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe your computer still has to decode the H264/5 before it even gets to the point of reducing the resolution, so you aren't avoiding the part that's difficult for the computer there.
The other thing you want to look into is variable framerate, since that's a common issue now for people working on gaming videos and the like: https://www.reddit.com/r/VideoEditing/wiki/faq/vfr
Proxies are also easier to create and work with than they ever have been before.
Makes sense about the Mp4 bing a container.
I was able to narrow down the issue. It only happened with video files that my editor sent to me. He got a new PC and increased the video quality. Possibly the bitrate was too high for my computer to handle. The raw video footage I sent him and all videos he sent be in the past work fine.
Rather than try to figure out my settings, I'm just going to have him lower the quality/ bitrate.
I'd check video driver. Try some previous versions, and turn off auto-update feature.
This made the most sense as I did update the nvidia game ready drivers. Didn't realize there where 'studio' drivers as well.
Driver update didnt fix BUT I did find out I was only having issues on the videos that were rendered/ exported by my video editor. I think the bitrate was too high... or something
As for 5.5 you need to add the gpu to the the cuda text file in the root.