Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unnest Sequence, preserving cuts?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all!

I need to unnest a sequence, which I've cut up quite a bit... Is this possible?

Here's the back story-  I made a 2 min trailer, cutting down bits from a 1.5 hour long source- I have 2 versions of the same source, one with subtitles burned in, and one clean.

Some of my exports of this trailer needed to be clean, and some versions subtitled, so I put both the clean and subtitled 1.5 hour clips on top of eachother in a sequence, and used this sequence as a nest in my main edit (like precomping in After Effects).

I brought the nest in a main sequence and made my 2 min edit- When needing to export with subtitles, I went into my nest and enabled only the subtitled later; when needing to export clean, I enabled on the clean layer.

My question now is, is it possible  to un-nest these cuts in the main sequence?  I ask, because I've just been asked for an AAF, and I understand I can't send an AAF of my main sequence with the nest!

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, so thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Editing , Export , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Ah, actually I think I just found a youtube video that will make my life a lot easier!

https://youtu.be/l2tABTBqZ0k?t=315

The quickest solution seems to be selecting the cut bit of nested sequence I need, hitting F (aka the Match Frame shortcut), which will bring up this selection in the source window- from there, I can simply overwrite or insert directly into the timeline!

Still slightly tedious, but much better than my original plan of recreating the in/outs and copy/pasting from the full nest

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just replace the nest with the clip(s) that you want to use there.

There is also a setting in the timeline panel to show nests as individual tracks.

See here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=helpx+premiere+pro+remove+nest

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your quick response!!

I was considering manually cutting the bits from the nest and dropping them into the main timeline, but I wondered if there was a faster way...

Also, I noticed you wrote that there's a setting in the timeline panel to "show nests as individual tracks"- I can't seem to find this-  I'm aware of the "insert and overwrite sequences as nests or individual clips" button just under the timecode in the top left of the timeline panel, however since I've already made my edits, clicking that seems to have no effect... 

Also, in that google search you pasted, I didn't see a link addressing this issue... Any chance you can link to a specific page?  I've googled extensively!

Here's a look at my timeline- as you can see, these are not individual nests, but one nest that I've chopped up and rearranged quite a bit! (I color coded them after the fact)

RF_Recital_PBS_Trailer-Timeline.png

Thanks again for the help!  For now, I'll manually excerpt bits from within the nested sequence to match my edits, unless I've missed something! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, actually I think I just found a youtube video that will make my life a lot easier!

https://youtu.be/l2tABTBqZ0k?t=315

The quickest solution seems to be selecting the cut bit of nested sequence I need, hitting F (aka the Match Frame shortcut), which will bring up this selection in the source window- from there, I can simply overwrite or insert directly into the timeline!

Still slightly tedious, but much better than my original plan of recreating the in/outs and copy/pasting from the full nest!

Thanks again for the help, you set me on the right track!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alt-double-click on a nested segment of a sequence "unnests" that segment ... opening up on the timeline as all the original tracks included. It's also handy when dealing with multicam 'sequences' which oft show as a nested clip.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, R Neil!

What I was trying to do was more like flattening a multicam sequence- I had made a bunch of cuts on a nest, and essentially wanted to "flatten", just like one can with a multicam sequence!

Is there a way to do this that is as somewhat automated as flattening cuts in a multicam sequence?  I found alt double clicking simply brought me into my nested sequence.  Thanks in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines