• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unsupported Compression Type

New Here ,
Dec 28, 2019 Dec 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi so Premiere Pro won't accept my MP4 file with the error code being an 'unsupported compression type'. I've tried a bunch of ways to fix it like renaming it, converting it (things can't seem to convert it though), and whatever I have found on youtube. I can't seem to figure out how to fix it. Does anyone know how?

TOPICS
Error or problem , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please use the free MediaInfo and post a screenshot the properties of your media in tree view:

MediaInfo 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using the most current version of Premiere or an older version. Is your operating system up to date?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2020 Jan 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. I am using premiere pro 2020 trying to import mp4. I have tried renaming media chache folders, deleting media cache, moving the media to another folder etc. I should note that these methods do not work the same way, since the Media cache folders is no "Media cache database" and you can only delete unused caches. (Unless you delete it manually). The only thing that works is converting the media into another format(m4v in my case). This is very frustrating and time consuming.  I run on Microsoft windows 10 Home. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2020 Feb 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since Windows 10 1909 update I have had tons of premiere errors. After spending 2 weeks working with IT just to get it to let me run it(said I did not have permissions to open folder) I now have it running only to tell me that all the MP4s that I currently worked on no longer open. Before this update I was able to edit the MP4s. Yesterday I was given admin privelages and able to edit MP4s then IT updated my Premiere to 14.4 and it will no longer open the mp4s. Any thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry version 14.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting went back to 14.1 and was once again able to work with my files.  Maybe 14.2 is not ready?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you may need to reset the prefs for the newer version. Both Mac and Win OSs have been doing odd things with permssions, though it's more common in IT run environments.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2020 Feb 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IT ended up cloning my profile and creating a new one deleting my old finally getting me to where I could use Premiere. But did haveto keep on the 14.1 as 14.2 still won't run MP4's and getting my IT to fix that well...It took two weeks to get to use Premiere again and it is a daily part of my job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any new updates on this? My PC decided it needed a reboot and updated and once again Premiere stopped working. Called IT they tried the fix from last time and still doesnt work. Adobe I would love not to have to call IT everytime I use the software which is everyday...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you since found a fix?  I am having the same issue.  Files that were previously working are no longer working.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My .mp4 files are getting the same error. Has this issue been reported to them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What created those mp4 files?

And ... so we get the full information on them, download the free utility app MediaInfo . Install, and then drag/drop one of the files onto that app's icon on your desktop. It will open, and from the viewing options, choose the "Tree View". It should look like my image below.

Drag/drop that into your reply (NOT to the attach files box at the bottom!) so we can see exactly what type of file is having this trouble.

Neil

MediaInfo TreeView.PNG

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2020 Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil!  Having the same issue.  Screenshots:Mediainfo2.jpgMediainfo1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's VFR ... variable frame rate. Note how it has a minimum and maximum?

Convert that to CFR constant frame-rate in HandBrake by clicking the CFR button and by setting a specific number frame-rate in the frame-rate options box. Use a compression that's "near placebo".

Then import into Premiere.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhh I didn't notice that!  Thank you.

Quick other question: this is cell phone video. Is there a way to set the frame rate on an Android? (HTC U11 on Verizon network, if that helps).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 14, 2020 Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, nearly all phones & tablets are designed to only do VFR. They can cut the amount of data 'needing to be recorded' during what the phone's little computer sees as "low motion/change" moments.

So they all produce VFR and you're stuck with it. You can use Handbrake in a 'batch' mode, but it takes a couple times futzing with it to really figure out how that works. But that process allows you to say convert an entire folder of clips while you're sleeping or otherwise away from the computer for a while.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the batch mode in handbrake is much more intuitive in the windows version...  but you can do it in the mac, just need to bang your head against the wall a few times.  

If by any chance you have editready

https://www.divergentmedia.com/editready

it will fix the variable frame rate issue, and also transcode to prores which is my preferred editing format...

It's not cheap, but does make life easier.  It also merges spanned files into a single file/clip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the batch mode in handbrake is much more intuitive in the windows version.

You mean, it's even worse in the Mac version than Windows?

Sheesh!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I didn't think the mac version had a batch mode until I was corrected
here. I'm working on both Mac and windows machines now as my macs are
almost outdated and a new windows machine is much cheaper. So was
pleasantly surprised when I installed handbrake on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, y'all!  I've got them encoding in Handbrake now while I work out.  I set the CFR to 30, as that's about what Premiere Pro uses.  I also set the frame rate on my phone camera to 30 (it had been set to 60). I'll see if that makes a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update:

All four vids that I washed through Handbrake loaded into Premiere no problem.  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Always happy to help. That work gotta get out the door for the nice people what pays our bills, right?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2022 Aug 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're a lifesaver Neil! I signed up on Adobe just so I could say thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2020 Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Hoping you can take a look and let me know what needs to change. It's just this recording - I've not had trouble in the recent past and I did a test video today and it imported fine with video. This one has no video and I get the "unsupported compression type" error message. It is a recording of a webinar using RingCentral/Zoom. Tried converting to mts per some YouTube video, but that didn't work.

This is the mp4 data in MediaInfo:

chicindy36_0-1600464603475.png

chicindy36_1-1600464629847.png

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines