• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unsupported Compression Type

New Here ,
Dec 28, 2019 Dec 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi so Premiere Pro won't accept my MP4 file with the error code being an 'unsupported compression type'. I've tried a bunch of ways to fix it like renaming it, converting it (things can't seem to convert it though), and whatever I have found on youtube. I can't seem to figure out how to fix it. Does anyone know how?

TOPICS
Error or problem , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 18, 2020 Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried running it through Handbrake as noted above?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's my experience with the same Unsupported Compression Type issue. I imported a mix of 85 short MOV and MP4 videos. 32 of them (28 MOV and 4 MP4) generated the "File has an unsupported compression type" error. I found it odd that they were all consecutive files. I renamed *ALL 85** files (changed the file name but not the file extension) using Batch Rename in Bridge. I re-imported the 85 files all but 3 imported fine - I got the same "File has an unsupported compression type" error on those 3. I once again renamed the remaining 3 files and re-imported them successfully.

It's disappointing that Adobe expects its customers to just intuitively discover this fix and offers no real remedy to the issue. By browsing this forum, it's apparent that this is a known issue, but when you call Adobe Support, they'll have you believe you're the only one with the issue and focus on things like clearing your Media Cache (which I do before each session), checking your system configuration for substandard processor or RAM, raising the possibility of corrupt files (that's a favorite), and a whole laundry list of possibilities on your side that can neither be proved nor disproved and leave you scratching your head as to what to expect going forward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2024 Mar 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

find another way of converting it, when i converted my mp4 file to a mov, the problem was fixed. no idea why, but it works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 20, 2024 Mar 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Mp4 isn't a codec ... it's a wrapper that can contain all sorts of codecs with a bazillion different options in the creating of each and every one of those files.

That's why Premiere can have such difficulty with the massive range of stuff that can be called 'mp4'.

And it's why all us volunteers here immediately ask people what's really in those files, using MediaInfo, as our first response. And what created them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines