• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unsupported video driver error - will an eGPU fix this?

New Here ,
Jul 14, 2021 Jul 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I recently received a new Huawei Matebook X Pro (Intel i7-10510U, GPU: Nvidia MX250,16GB RAM, 1TB SSD) as a 40th Birthday present from my family. The intention was to use this for video editing using primarily Premiere Pro. However (and I see this is a problem already identified in online forums), I have immediately come across a problem where Premiere identifies the MX250 as not being supported, with there seemingly being no driver updates for this GPU. I really don't want to have to inform my family that the laptop is not up to the task as clearly they spent a good amount of money on this and were led to believe by a number of reviews that the Matebook was excellent for editing.

My question is this; if there is no update for the MX250, is the purchase of an eGPU an option? And if so, can anyone recommend one that is compatible with both the laptop of this spec and Adobe Premiere Pro? 

Thanks

Tom

TOPICS
Editing , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 14, 2021 Jul 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the Laptop have a Thunderbolt 3 port? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it does have a Thunderbolt 3 port

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thunderbolt 3 has limited bandwidth. Something like an GTX 1060 might not hit a bottle neck but an RTX 3080 probably would. If you can find a GTX 1060 it should give you a nice performance boost and offer Nvenc. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this. I will look into this as an option. Much appreciated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 17, 2021 Jul 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can find used GTX 1060 GPUs. That being said there is a GPU shortage right now that will probably last until the end of the year. Prices are extremly high for new GPUs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines